conservation lands in norton warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just letting people know I stopped by the parking lot on my to visit my parents tonight and they live right next to the lands on the taunton norton border, when I showed up the game warden was writing someone up for walking into the parking lot with a loaded firearm. Just a reminder to keep all the little things in mind especially in that spot as she is not very friendly to the hunter kind.

Only a retard would walk into a public parking area with a loaded long gun during hunting season.

I know where and who your are talking about... she's may be a ball buster, but she isn't "not very friendly to the hunter kind", but you know what you prob would be too if your significate other was killed in a hunting accident...she is only doing her job, if your respectful to her she is the same to you......I've had my share or run in's with her and she gave me a written warning.....she could of fined the heck outta me for being in a WMA after sunset and for not wearing hunter orange during bow season in a place that was stocked with pheasant. Just make sure your up on the laws, and if you have a question on one of the hunting laws then call up the head quarters and ask them.

if you saw the circumstances you would have kinda felt for the guy too. He was scrambling to get back in time so he wasn't out past legal hours he had a climber, a backpack, his shotgun and his calls all hanging off of him. The guy was just trying to live up to all the retard laws we have to follow and got screwed anyway I felt bad for him. If it was him just being a dick walking into the parking lot shotgun ready for action in front of him I would see it different just a guy in a hurry who forgot nothing stupid about that.

Sorry but some people have been in MA too long. Can't have a loaded gun in a WMA parking lot? Stupid. Granted you don't need it loaded in the parking lot, but 5 feet away, 20 feet, where is the load unload line? From a common sense/freedom standpoint that is inexcusable.

Sorry but some people have been in MA too long. Can't have a loaded gun in a WMA parking lot? Stupid. Granted you don't need it loaded in the parking lot, but 5 feet away, 20 feet, where is the load unload line? From a common sense/freedom standpoint that is inexcusable.

Like it or not (and I don't like it) MA law says you must be 150' from a road when hunting. That is covered in MA hunter safety classes. If you walk back to your truck with a loaded gun in a WMA, you are going to get caught by an EPO.

Like it or not (and I don't like it) MA law says you must be 150' from a road when hunting. That is covered in MA hunter safety classes. If you walk back to your truck with a loaded gun in a WMA, you are going to get caught by an EPO.

I thought it was when shooting. How do you get from your car to the woods? Have a helicopter drop the gun in? This is preposterous, and you, me, the warden, the hunter, and everyone else knows it. We need to file legislation to fix this NOW! Time for a single purpose bill to correct this, and get it through the legislature NOW, not wait until midnight some July or August evening so it can be forgotten with hundreds of other bills.

This would not explain why he was not able to unload the gun before starting his scramble to get back in time.

Actually it does it slipped his mind in the rush to get beack, but I am sure no one here has ever forgotten something like this before and we should shun our own the second they make a simple mistake.

I thought it was when shooting. How do you get from your car to the woods? Have a helicopter drop the gun in?

Slow down there and turn off your outrage. All you need to do is make sure that your shotgun is unloaded when you walk into the woods. When you are a good distance in you can load your shotgun. On the way out of the woods you unload your shotgun.

It isn't a big deal to obey and it has been this way for decades. During shotgun season you can count on there being an EPO in the parking lot of a WMA at dusk at least once and he will check your shotgun, hunting license and LTC.

This is a prime example why I do not do any hunting in Mass, nor give Mass any of my hard-earned money for permits, etc. I always go to Maine. The Game Wardens have always been incredibly helpful. I've never once gotten my balls busted. On the contrary, they have gone out of their way to politely correct me if I have some technical violation and to then suggest areas that are active.

if you saw the circumstances you would have kinda felt for the guy too. He was scrambling to get back in time so he wasn't out past legal hours he had a climber, a backpack, his shotgun and his calls all hanging off of him. The guy was just trying to live up to all the retard laws we have to follow and got screwed anyway I felt bad for him. If it was him just being a dick walking into the parking lot shotgun ready for action in front of him I would see it different just a guy in a hurry who forgot nothing stupid about that.

I origionally wrote this to just give people the heads up to keep your nose clean because people are getting bagged. I just wanted to remind people as I forget some of the smaller things when I go out too, considering alot of us hunt the week and try to run here and there while still going to work and everything else you can forget things easily. That was my intent and it was met with people calling the guy who got caught an idiot, I retract my warning as I forgot there are people on this site who are godlike in that they never break even the smallest of laws because it just slipped thier mind. It is the inta-turning on fellow hunters the second they make a slip up that makes us as a hunting community weak. If maybe we defended our own more the libtards wouldn't be able to pick us off one by one as we all inevidably make a slip up, wether you get caught or not everyone makes mistakes. I found no reason to call the guy a retard for trying to comply with one law and forgeting about another one we are all only human here.

I don't have a problem with the guy having a loaded gun in the parking lot. I think the rule is ludicrous. And the fact that it is actively enforced is asinine. I'm not saying break the rule, but people in MA need to understand it is nanny state overboard crap that has zero justification.

One other thing to mention is that there is no need to rush back to the parking lot to get there before hunting time is over. You can hunt right up until hunting hours end. Just unload when the hunting hours are over. You can walk back to your truck with your shotgun unloaded.

I've never had a problem with MA EPOs. Back when I hunted at Pantry Brook WMA, they would check me at least once a season in the parking lot at the end of the day. They checked my license and LTC, we had a friendly chat, and that was it. One of those times, another hunter came back to his truck and the EPO went to check on him. This guy didn't have a hunting license with him (though he claimed he had bought one), and didn't have an LTC or FID with him (though he claimed he had one as well). The EPO was very polite and professional with him, but it was clear the hunter was in for a tough time.

I don't have a problem with the guy having a loaded gun in the parking lot. I think the rule is ludicrous. And the fact that it is actively enforced is asinine. I'm not saying break the rule, but people in MA need to understand it is nanny state overboard crap that has zero justification.
Many (most?) states have a rule that says you can't hunt within X feet of a road. The parking lots in many MA WMA are within 150' of a road. So if your gun is loaded in the parking lot, then you are hunting within 150' of a road. While I think the 150 rule is excessive, that is what the is now and we have to obey it or face the consequences. So the issue isn't the parking lot per se, but the distance from the road.

Last edited:
This is a prime example why I do not do any hunting in Mass, nor give Mass any of my hard-earned money for permits, etc. I always go to Maine. The Game Wardens have always been incredibly helpful. I've never once gotten my balls busted. On the contrary, they have gone out of their way to politely correct me if I have some technical violation and to then suggest areas that are active.

BS!!! We got checked in Maine once in a clearing off a logging road. 4 minutes after sunset. (maine laws only allow you to hunt to sunset, not 1/2 hour after like here in Mass) They saw Mass plates and were on us like white on rice. My buddies gun was loaded leaning against a tree 20 yards away. He had come back to the trucks early and forgot to unloade it immediately at the end of shooting hours. His stupidity. Cost him a court appearance, travel to and from Maine for that appearance, and a 200 dollar fine. Maine wardens do not let out of staters slide on violations.

Ignorance, stupidity, forgetfullness are not excuses. It is our responsibility to know the laws and obey them. We all have laws we do not agree with. That does not mean we can break them. Morons like the guy above who "forgot" to unload his gun in the parking lot are the same morons that give the rest of us a bad name.

if you saw the circumstances you would have kinda felt for the guy too. He was scrambling to get back in time so he wasn't out past legal hours he had a climber, a backpack, his shotgun and his calls all hanging off of him. The guy was just trying to live up to all the retard laws we have to follow and got screwed anyway I felt bad for him.

This just proves what an idiot he is. Not only did he break the law having a loaded shotgun too close to the road, he had no need to rush back. He could stay in his stand to the last legal minute of hunting time and beyond as long as he unloaded the gun when legal shooting time expired. Even if he is an hours walk back in the woods. As long as his gun is unloaded 1/2 hour after sunset he is perfectly legal.

Guess I missed the parking lot part.

The state has enacted specific requirements for carrying a rifle or shotgun on the person on a public way.

* Loaded guns: Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person a loaded rifle or shotgun on a public way (see exemptions below).
* Unloaded guns: Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person on any public way an unloaded rifle or shotgun unless such rifle or shotgun is enclosed in a case. This subsection “does not apply to drills, parades, military reenactments or other commemorative ceremonies, color guards or memorial service firing squads, so called, as permitted by law.”
* Exceptions: The provisions of these sections do not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the Commonwealth or any other state, or the United States (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or the United States, including national guard, reserves and junior reserve officer training corps (iii) any law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth, if the persons described are authorized by a competent authority to so carry a loaded or unloaded rifle or shotgun on a public way and such person is acting within the scope of his duties or training, or (iv) a person who is lawfully engaged in hunting and is the holder of a valid hunting or sporting license. (Chapter 269, section 12D).

This just proves what an idiot he is. Not only did he break the law having a loaded shotgun too close to the road, he had no need to rush back. He could stay in his stand to the last legal minute of hunting time and beyond as long as he unloaded the gun when legal shooting time expired. Even if he is an hours walk back in the woods. As long as his gun is unloaded 1/2 hour after sunset he is perfectly legal.

That's what I thought -(not that he's an idiot, the laws are indeed asinine, but that he didn't need to "rush.") From the sound of the story, it implied you couldn't be in a WMA after dark, which had me scratching my head. I knew you technically had to unload 150' from a road, but I didn't know you had to unload by a half hour after sunset... even if you are no longer actively hunting.

I guess I assumed it could be loaded 1/2 hr. after as long as you didn't shoot a deer and weren't "succesfully hunting." Tricky laws, and why I hate lawyers. I mean, what if it's a really cloudy day and is getting dark around 3:50 when sunset should be 4:30 on a sunny day. Nitpicking drives me beserk.

That's what I thought -(not that he's an idiot, the laws are indeed asinine, but that he didn't need to "rush.") From the sound of the story, it implied you couldn't be in a WMA after dark, which had me scratching my head. I knew you technically had to unload 150' from a road, but I didn't know you had to unload by a half hour after sunset... even if you are no longer actively hunting.
IIRC, that is not what the EPO said in the Hunter Safety class that I took. If your gun is loaded, then they consider that you are hunting. When hunting time is up, unload your gun. If you have a muzzleloader, either fire into a dead stump or remove your percussion cap.

Similarly, if you are walking into the woods well before hunting time starts in the morning, head in unloaded, and don't load until hunting time starts (30 min. before sunrise).

So if you CCW and have a hunting license within 150' of a road you are hunting? Yeah I know, I know, just follow the rules and be a good boy and we will let you enjoy your freedoms.[rolleyes] As others have said the law is stupid and worse is that there are fish cops enforcing it.

So if you CCW and have a hunting license within 150' of a road you are hunting? Yeah I know, I know, just follow the rules and be a good boy and we will let you enjoy your freedoms.[rolleyes] As others have said the law is stupid and worse is that there are fish cops enforcing it.
If you are just walking along the road while CCW why would an EPO think you are hunting? Lots of MA laws suck, but come on, be realistic.

You have the fancy tin foil hat on today dont you?

You are right all of our freedoms should be determined on the spot by the whims of LEOs. Face it is a stupid law, sure follow it as it is low hassle for the penalty involved, but it is still appalling and the fish cops that enforce this nonsense should be ashamed of themselves.
If you are just walking along the road while CCW why would an EPO think you are hunting? Lots of MA laws suck, but come on, be realistic.

You have the fancy tin foil hat on today dont you?
The MA definition of hunting is shaky. If an EPO saw me shoot a deer a half hour after dark, well, I done gone and hunted an animal -illegally.

What if I wanted to carry my shotgun loaded until I got near the parking lot for protection against a pack of coyotes or a bear who just woke up and is pissed off. Similarly, what if somebody carried a blackpowder handgun concealed and was walking around after dark... and had a hunting license in his wallet... is he hunting?? What if you legally took a stroll through the woods late at night and decided to bring along a shotgun for protection, are you hunting?? No! What do they think defines "hunting" -wearing orange??

The laws here are complete CRAPOLA!!! Why can't we use rifles for deer in this messed up state?! Why not handguns --they're more sporting?? And why not crossbows for that matter, maybe a reduced season during the one for modern firearms? Why can't we hunt coyotes year round?? Why can't you use a rifle to hunt squirrels, rabbits or coyotes in a WMA stocked with birds?? Why can't you hunt birds with a rifle for that matter... it's probably pretty tough, they're a small target. Why can't you use hounds to track a bear? Why can't you use conibear traps for trapping? Why do you have to show them all the game you've killed by such and such a time? Wouldn't it be easier to phone in the fact that you shot a furbearer? The laws here are straight out of lala land.

Look, I know things aren't TERRIBLE here, but I don't have to like or agree with them just because they've been on the books for a while.

On the other hand if I decide to carry a loaded rifle around in the woods for the hell of it, the default assumption is going to be that I was carrying it to hunt with, and that's simply idiotic on its face.

Hunting regs are a big part of the reason why the gun laws in this country are often extremely FUBARed. According to the MA regs, I can't carry a .45 ACP handgun in the woods when its dark out, or for that matter, "anywhere where mammals can be found". The laws only get more retarded from there.

-Mike

BS!!! We got checked in Maine once in a clearing off a logging road. 4 minutes after sunset. (maine laws only allow you to hunt to sunset, not 1/2 hour after like here in Mass) They saw Mass plates and were on us like white on rice. My buddies gun was loaded leaning against a tree 20 yards away. He had come back to the trucks early and forgot to unloade it immediately at the end of shooting hours. His stupidity. Cost him a court appearance, travel to and from Maine for that appearance, and a 200 dollar fine. Maine wardens do not let out of staters slide on violations.

Ignorance, stupidity, forgetfullness are not excuses. It is our responsibility to know the laws and obey them. We all have laws we do not agree with. That does not mean we can break them. Morons like the guy above who "forgot" to unload his gun in the parking lot are the same morons that give the rest of us a bad name.

Thats nice that you think your own buddy is a raving idiot. Look we all can't be godly in our knowledge of all the laws and exceptions and by laws not a chance. I am an electrician not a lawyer I do my very best to abide by the laws set forth but if you want me to believe you have not ever once broken one of the laws on hunting or firearms in MA even as simple as a slip of the mind you sir are insane. The guy screwed up maybe he interpreted the law about hunting hours to mean you have to be back by then because I sure as hell did. It says hunting hours are blank-blank, not "yea so don't worry just hang in the woods all night just be unloaded". Maybe if instead of calling anyone who doesn't know the laws an idiot sight unseen and better educate them as to what they really mean by what the law states we would bridge some of the divide in our community as hunters and gun owners. It is people like you who immediatly turn on other gun owners the second they trip and say they are morons and give us a bad name that drive people away from asking questions about laws and getting into this in the first place. We shouldn't ridicule the people who don't know we should teach them the right way. If you are that perfect and don't need all the lesser men fine this was just a heads up thread to let people know they need to be careful out there so everyone goes out kills an animal has a good time and comes home happy and healthy at the end of the hunt thats all.

On the other hand if I decide to carry a loaded rifle around in the woods for the hell of it, the default assumption is going to be that I was carrying it to hunt with, and that's simply idiotic on its face.
Same thing would happen in many states.

Same thing would happen in many states.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this idiocy is an MA only thing... it's all over the place. Hunting laws are often so poorly written that basically anyone in the woods with a gun can get written up, given an EPO/Warden with a bad attitude.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom