1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Connecticut Gun Theft Victim Gets Rest Of His Guns Taken By Police

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeyp, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

You mean on purpose right? It's a tool, sometimes even smart people forget to lock up their tools.

2. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Not people, constituents. They aren't fighting to get Trump voters out of jail.

Nikos likes this.
  3. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Admits what? Don't think there's any law that states you have to register guns you bring in when you move here.

Jason Flare and PappyM3 like this.
  4. 1776

1776 NES Member

5. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Agreed

6. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

On purpose or not. I get no ones perfect but you don’t get to complain when the popo finds you unsuitable when your unattended firearm gets stolen from your locked or unlocked car. I don’t agree with it but you know that’s most likely the end result.

7. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

You don't get to complain when cops violate several of your constitutional rights? Mmkay. You're just the type of gun owner the left wants.

Jason Flare and Bonesinium like this.
  8. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

Can’t get you for what they think but it will raise suspicion and won’t be hard for the police to punch holes in that story. Vehicle opened with no sign of forced entry. You’re just digging yourself a bigger hole.

9. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

Nah. I just don’t leave my Guns unattended. Problem solved

10. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

Victim blaming is my favorite.

teaser452, KVX and Varmint like this.
  11. AHM

AHM NES Member

Now here's one for @Len-2A Training:
    Does it comply with the letter of Mass law to store a pistol with:
    1. A full mag,
    2. One in the pipe, and
    3. One of those crap trigger locks that actually lets you work the trigger?
    N.B. Not asking if it's Massprudent -
    just exploring the envelope.

12. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

you mean there's a job in the ag's office whose sole function is to look at gun sites on line all day! i'm in!!! perfect job for a retired guy. getting a resume ready.....and, oh, and any of you guys who neg repped me in the old days, you're first my friends. lol

Jason Flare, a73elkyss, AHM and 2 others like this.
  13. Coda

Coda NES Member

Understood, MA has no record of out of state sales. But somebody does. The FFL that sold the guns maybe? Now do the 4473’s leave the dealer? Do they in turn end up in an ATF database??? Most will say no. My point is that serial numbers are on a gun for a reason. And if the authorities have no way to tie gun owners to serial numbers in this computer age with all that is going on, that will change shortly. I do agree with you 100% on voluntarily registering a gun, that's crazy.

14. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    Do what you want. When all of your guns are taken in one fell swoop, cry in your beer and not to us. Just a word to the wise, "bro"!

15. MassachussettsMosinNagant

MassachussettsMosinNagant

Does said safe exist? Purpose of home defense is to be ready when your life is in the balance. Good luck fiddling about with a safe in the dark while a gang banger is putting his gun to your head.

I understand what you mean though, but once you have it locked with either a trigger lock or in a safe, it might as well be unloaded. It's of no use to anyone. We try to lighten our trigger pull, keep safeties off and holster in magnetic holsters. Because it is a fraction of a second between life and death. And now by law you have to add 10-20 seconds to your break in defense. It's silly.

16. TPNES

TPNES NES Member

Vaultek, in every room and vehicle. They work great, takes me a tenth of a second to access it. They aren’t “cheap” but neither is my life and status as a law abiding citizen. Well worth it and doubly so when I have little kids in my future. If you wake up in the middle of the night with a gun to your head, whether your sidearm is under your pillow, one in the pipe, cocked and off safe, you still aren’t getting to it in time. Vaultek in the nightstand is plenty peace of mind while also protecting your ass from storage laws.

Not trying to argue or nitpick just saying there are simple solutions to being in “compliance”.

MAJoe and PappyM3 like this.
  17. Whiskeywon

Whiskeywon NES Member

You mean you don't sleep with your gun in holster completely ready to go? I'm ashamed! But I completely understand what you mean and are getting at. Whole system is a joke.

18. PappyM3

PappyM3 NES Member

There is nothing illegal about keeping your property in another state. And MA has zero recourse if you do so. Saying you don’t know where they are may be a problem.

19. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

At night - keys, wallet, knife on the bureau;
    Phone, holstered firearm and flashlight on the nightstand.

In the morning re-distribute as appropriate.

Whiskeywon likes this.
  20. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    Like I told KVX, do what you want. Situations change. Political climates change. Defensive tactics must also change to meet these new threats to our Constitutional rights. They cannot confiscate what they cannot see. If anyone wants to store every gun they own in their home, that is entirely their right. If they want to register all of their guns, that is their choice. ERPO gets issued, they will lose every single one of them all at once. 'Nuff said

21. PappyM3

PappyM3 NES Member

MA storage law does NOT require guns to be unloaded. Transportation in a trunk or locked container in the car requires unloading. But storage does not. As for quick access, my bedside safe can be opened in 2-4 seconds.

But you did mention a guy having a gun to your head. At that point, you’re screwed no matter what. I’ve woken enough guys up in the middle of the night with an M4 pointed at them to know that there’s nothing you can do at that point. Even if you were alert you’d be screwed, never mind being disoriented from just waking up. However, a bedside safe is completely usable if bad guys are still breaking in or in another room in the house when you get up.

22. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

So here's a not really hypothetical for you.

Connecticut just passed new laws, (see OP post #1), where leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle is against the law, unless it's in a locked glovebox, in the trunk, or in a "safe". I have a pickup truck. I go to the range with multiple firearms, and after shooting I go to lunch with a couple of my friends. As I stop for lunch with my friends I have my unloaded firearms in locked boxes in the rear seat of my pickup truck. I park my truck where I can see it as I can eat.

I'm violating CT law. My guns are "unattended" and they're not in the glove compartment, trunk or "safe".

Solve that problem...

23. PappyM3

PappyM3 NES Member

I foolishly FA-10ed some of my guns I brought in when I moved back here, because I didn’t know better. However, my FTF transactions in my previous state had zero record that could be tracked. That situation is very common and is one of the key reasons why private FTF transactions are exempt from background checks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  24. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

I don't care what you or anyone else does either, I just don't think it's a good idea to say it in an online forum that's monitored by the AG's office.

25. dcmdon

dcmdon NES Member

I"m not sure of the legal justification for taking his guns.

Remember, in CT no license is necessary to possess any firearms.

26. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

No federal level database of serial numbers for most purchases. NFA items, yes. Multiple handgun sale forms, yes.

Tracking a gun is done in a forward fashion. Take manufacture. ATF trace center calls manufacture with serial number. MFG says "sold to distributor X on date nnn". ATF trace center calls distributor X. They sold to retailer Y on date mmm. Call retailer Y. They sold to John Smith on date zzzz. Retailer Y then reads the entire 4473 form over the phone to the ATF trace center.

If the gun in question was in the possession of John Smith then we are done. If it was in a storm drain after someone was shot, then they will go to John Smith and ask about the gun and try to follow the person to person trace. If they reach someone who had it stolen and did not report...

27. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

Change the law or go home and put your guns away and then go to lunch

28. AHM

AHM NES Member

Store some gloves in your locked box.
    Viola, it's a glove box.
    [​IMG]

29. KVX

KVX

...So you park your car at a friends garage, or in another city, another state, another country maybe ?

...yeah, you bought/rent your house so that you can store your property SOMEWHERE ELSE, brilliant.

LMAO.

30. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

That's not how I read 308's original post, however if we're talking about guns brought into the State when he moved here, I stand corrected. And I still don't think it's a great idea to post that you have a bunch of unregistered guns in MA regardless of their provenance.