• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confusion

LOL, I'm sure this isn't the first topic in this forum with a similar title, if not reason for posting.

I'm moving to MA, and I have a pretty extensive collection. I'm already eyeing the AR to sell, as even though it's a "rifle" configuration, it's an AR.

But the handguns. Now I'm really confused. I have a wide variety of things, and to my dismay, many of them aren't on the Approved Firearms Roster, including innocuous things like my 1995 era S&W 60-9 revolver. Older p&r S&Ws, too. Sigs that aren't mentioned by model. I was worried, then saw this bit in the intro:

Now, you'll read some stuff about MA compliance. For guns you're bringing in, other than the above notations for "assault pistols", this does not affect what you can bring. MA compliance applies only to handguns sold to you by a Massachusetts FFL dealer, not to guns you already own and are bringing in, nor to guns you may purchase privately once you arrive in MA. For more information, do a search, this is covered on almost a daily basis. Basically, don't worry about it, you can bring your handguns in (although you may not bring any post-9/13/1994 magazines as noted above.

and while I understand this is not a legally binding statement, the vehemence, repetition, and positive message make me want to believe.

At the risk of repeating something that's asked almost daily, am I reading that right? (One reason you see so many repeated questions is there's a lot of material, and a lot of interpretations. I'm not a legal scholar, and you folks are the best resource I can find to get answers. Even the info from cops varies.) Can I bring my guns in without fear of imprisonment?

Additional questions: If I find myself with a non-compliant gun in MA, can I sell it out of state? For instance, my AR. I'm going to try to sell it before I get there. If I can't, should I leave it with a friend, or can it be sold via an FFL to an out of state buyer? (I suppose the answer is I can't legally have it in MA at all, but yes, I still have some confusion about that.)

And am I reading the bit about high (full) cap magazines correctly, that I can use them, as long as they weren't manufactured since '94? And how can they tell? Do I need to buy 10 round mags, or can I modify the mag with a "stop" so if doesn't accept more than 10, and still be legal? (Ala shotguns and hunting mag limits.)

Thanks, and sorry if I seem to be wasting your time with these questions. The move date is approaching rapidly, and this is one of the last details to work out.

-- Sam

Sam, you have my sympathy if you have to move to MA. MA IS a PRISON and we're all prisoners until/unless we move out of this hell-hole.

To try to get a semi-decent understanding of what's legal and what isn't, you should read the following sticky threads. Separate the BS in each one from the factual info (shouldn't be too hard).

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/56054-MOVING-to-Massachusetts-Read-Here-First!

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/157704-MA-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-AWB-quot-FAQ

When you move in with the guns you do NOT register them with the state, so they have no idea what you have. You just take the BFS course and apply for your LTC ASAP. Don't give anyone any lists or info on what you own, no law requires that.

Yes, pre-ban large-capacity mags are AOK. Yes, most Glock mags (and many other brands) are almost impossible to tell pre-ban from post-ban (there is a thread here on Glock mags). Ignore "expert" posts with pictures of various mags claiming definitive info on Glock mags (OTHER THAN metal insert showing in front of mag, LE/Mil markings, or dual mag release cut-outs in the plastic).

Ignore gun rosters, they are strictly for MA Dealers.

Once you mover out of OR, you can't sell any guns to anyone outside of MA without going thru an FFL (this is Fed Law).

As for ARs/AKs, the above thread is the LAW. Relative to what our AG pulled out of her butt, it is NOT law, subject to her whims to change whenever she feels like it, and nobody has been prosecuted and my bet is nobody ever will as she's expose her stupidity and vindictiveness in court and most probably lose in the end. Here's a thread I keep up on the latest "what we know" wrt the AG's BS on the AWB.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/314031-AG-s-New-AWB-7-20-2016

Once you settle in here, you might consider taking my 6+ hr seminar on MA Gun Laws (see my website for schedule) to get a much better idea of our archaic gun laws in MA.

Your only productive use of the MA gun rosters: use them as a guide for what to buy before you move. That way, you'll have them once you get here (minus the standard-cap mags they ship with). Resale here will be tremendous...

Thank you for the info, folks!

Just one quick note:
Once you mover out of OR, you can't sell any guns to anyone outside of MA without going thru an FFL (this is Fed Law).
Oh, I understand that fully. What I was saying is can I take my "I can't own this in MA" gun to a dealer, and sell it to someone else outside of MA - a legal transfers out of the state. Probably not, since I'm not supposed to have it in MA in the first place. But I thought I'd ask.

For what it's worth, I've been collecting for 20+ years, buying and selling the whole time. I'm aware of the interstate transfer laws, and all that. It's just my first time dealing with MA laws in my adult life. I'm not even shooting that much anymore, just trying to make sure I'm "legal", and hoping I can bring my collection with me and sell it off slowly, rather than dump it prior to the move at fire sale prices.

I was born in MA, left in '78, and am coming back due to a deal on a house that I can't pass up. So on one hand I get the warnings, but it's too late for me. :) I've lived in NH, CO, and OR since.

Len, thank you for the info, and I will look forward to taking your course when I get there. Where are you located?

I was born in MA, left in '78, and am coming back due to a deal on a house that I can't pass up. So on one hand I get the warnings, but it's too late for me. :) I've lived in NH, CO, and OR since.

Even if the house was free, and all taxes paid for the next 100 years, I wouldn't move into MA... IMO (along with many others), just NOT worth what you have to give up.

Good luck being an inmate of the PRM...

What I was saying is can I take my "I can't own this in MA" gun to a dealer, and sell it to someone else outside of MA - a legal transfers out of the state. Probably not, since I'm not supposed to have it in MA in the first place

No, that's fine. MA doesn't even care if you've got the guns off the list; you could register them with no repercussions at all. Selling out of state through an FFL is fine. But you'll get a better price locally. My input on post 3 was sort of sarcastic, but still true. Off-list firearms often sell here at a premium; not an obscenely high one, but definitely top of the resale market.

Don't move here... just don't. We used to say this a few years ago and then could understand why people had their motives even when they didn't listen.

Now it's basically the definition of insanity. Particularly for someone with an "extensive collection".

You can always "pass up a deal on a house". Buy it, flip the thing, get the **** out. [laugh]

If I was on the outside looking in, I wouldn't be looking to move here unless it was something temporary. and I sure as **** would not bring my guns into this state other than the minimum amount possible.

-Mike

I'll try to summarize:

- Your AR's must be made MA AWB compliant if not preban (9/1994)
- Your handgun and rifle magazines must be compliant, 10 or fewer rounds, unless preban. Five for shotguns.
- Bring your handguns. Laws/regulations prevent dealers from transferring them, but possession is fine. So is private sale to another licensed individual in a face-to-face sale in MA. Or sale to an out of state person through an FFL.

It's the AWB and hi-cap, postban mags that are problematic, as they both outlaw possession. It does not matter if you've owned them in another state. They must be compliant for possession in MA.

Best

Rich

I should clarify: my posts were only talking about handguns, not ARs. I don't ever think in terms of ARs.

Len, thank you for the info, and I will look forward to taking your course when I get there. Where are you located?

Seminar is given at Mansfield F&G Club, just off I-495 & I-95. Dates, times and directions are all on http://2atraining.weebly.com (shortly will be moving to a new website, but will place a link on the current one when that happens).

No, that's fine. MA doesn't even care if you've got the guns off the list; you could register them with no repercussions at all. Selling out of state through an FFL is fine. But you'll get a better price locally. My input on post 3 was sort of sarcastic, but still true. Off-list firearms often sell here at a premium; not an obscenely high one, but definitely top of the resale market.

You NEVER NEVER register guns you move in with. MGL does NOT require it, it is totally stupid to do so, has no advantages whatsoever, and provides information to the gov't that they are NOT entitled to have.

Sam, MA dealers are so scared of the AG that I'm not even sure that one in MA would take an AR to sell out of state at this point. I just wouldn't recommend bringing it here if your intention is to have a dealer in MA transfer it for you to a Non-MA person. In that case you'd be better off putting it on consignment with an OR dealer before leaving there. They can Mail you a check when it sells.

Legality of possessing a post-ban MA compliant AR is perfectly legal per MGLs. Per AG nothing is legal, but she isn't going to do anything about it, so you need to decide to Massify and keep it or get rid of it before transiting the MA border.

Agreed, Len. Hence "could;" I was trying to emphasize that there's nothing illegal about having off-list handguns here. Just mags.

I myself might or might not have moved here with firearms; the state won't ever know!

Back
Top Bottom