AR build/purchasing confusion

Question about an AR build. I have a stripped lower I purchased. To be in compliance I’ll do a pistol grip plus a detachable mag for Preban 30 rd mags.

Now, to complete the build I’ll need to make sure that their is no bayonet lug as well as a pinned stock and a pinned and welded muzzle break on a 16” barrel.

If I purchase a parts kit that includes a collapsible stock and an upper which has a threaded barrel with a flash hider, will I still be in compliance as long as, before assembling the entire rifle, I pin the stock and replace the flash hider with a muzzle break that I have a gun smith pin and weld for me?

With the laws being so complex, I want to really be sure I’m in compliance before moving forward with anything

You have the right answer pin the stock. Replace with muzzle break pin and weld. Or just get on with a target crown

Question about an AR build. I have a stripped lower I purchased. To be in compliance I’ll do a pistol grip plus a detachable mag for Preban 30 rd mags.

Now, to complete the build I’ll need to make sure that their is no bayonet lug as well as a pinned stock and a pinned and welded muzzle break on a 16” barrel.

If I purchase a parts kit that includes a collapsible stock and an upper which has a threaded barrel with a flash hider, will I still be in compliance as long as, before assembling the entire rifle, I pin the stock and replace the flash hider with a muzzle break that I have a gun smith pin and weld for me?

With the laws being so complex, I want to really be sure I’m in compliance before moving forward with anything
Assuming your stripped lower was not purchased prior to the 2016 “guidance” from Herr Healy than you would be constructing a post ban high cap gun. A no-no.

re: compliance work

K. L. Hooton (Palmer, MA) performed some work on one of my rifles. I was pleased with the results.

The only comments on Healey 2016 press conference and website should be derogatory in nature and otherwise ignored.

OP has it all correct. Pin/weld a muzzle brake or silver solder it would put you in compliance with the then correct ATF technical branch guidance. There is no such guidance or technical branch in MA so what constitutes NOT "flash hider or capable of accepting" is not known shy of some case law clarifying. So is a tack weld enough? Is loctite enough? No one knows. Blind pin/weld or silver solder are highly defensible given 10 years of federal rule and it matches current ATF rules for 14.5" barrel making it 16".

Stock fix before assembly.

We do it at the Mill in Littleton and lots of other gunsmiths will offer the service. We tig weld blind pin for muzzle brakes.

Back
Top Bottom