confusion about "pre-ban" accessories

This may be a noob question, but I have not seen this addressed in any of the related threads that I have read so far. If I bought a pre-ban AR in MA, would I still have to locate pre-ban high capacity mags for it, or would I be able to use some current production 30 rd. mag (as an example)? What about a rifle built on a 80% lower? Still doing my homework, but really want to get into a AR based rifle, and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row with regard to the MA compliant stuff.

You'd still need to locate pre-ban high-cap mags for it.

In order to be a real pre-ban rifle, it had to be a rifle before 9/94. Technically, you can't make a pre-ban rifle from a pre-ban lower that was not already a rifle before the ban.

thanks, that is what I thought. I guess the mags are treated as a separate entity from the rifle, then. I knew that "technically" you can't assemble a pre-ban lower if it wasn't completed already before the ban, but how would anyone really know, or prove that since people are always changing/modding, or just plain replacing components?

thanks, that is what I thought. I guess the mags are treated as a separate entity from the rifle, then. I knew that "technically" you can't assemble a pre-ban lower if it wasn't completed already before the ban, but how would anyone really know, or prove that since people are always changing/modding, or just plain replacing components?

I guess they would only know if you posted it on the web or something foolish like that.

Well, if the serial number of the rifle - i.e. the lower - had been registered someplace as an actual rifle then that would be one way but yes, you point out a difficulty there.

Back
Top Bottom