• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Condo Generator

I live in a small apartment style condo. I'd like to have a generator but don't have any place I could run it.(cause of fumes)

I couldn't run it outside because I don't have any place to put it out there (I don't have a deck or access to the roof. Even if I did, if I have access then so do my neighbors. I wouldn't have the generator long.)

I was thinking about a gas fired one but we have no gas coming into the unit and I have no place to store any tanks.

Are there any alternatives for somebody in my shoes? The closest thing I can find is this:
http://www.greensteamengine.com/

What would it be for? I'm assuming in that kind of a building you have a common heat source, so you wouldn't be able to back up just yours.

You can get converters to run a generator off of propane, but there are still fumes. And they are loud - you don't want it indoors.

If it is a condo, consider putting a proposal together for the condo assn. to add a generator that would supply power for heat, water, and a power circuit in each unit. Might be the best way to go.

What do you need an actually generator for? You could make a battery bank with a few deep cycles and keep it topped off with juice from the house when you have it. Get a few buddy heaters to keep you warm, a small colman stove to cook and a few led lanterns.

What floor is your unit on? You may be able to make a small platform that hangs like a window box. If you got a real small unit like a Honda Eu1000. It will give you a few creature comforts and only weighs 34 Lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-EU1000i-G...ryZ46412QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Billy2 has a good idea with the batteries, but they won't run electric heaters for long. I like the window ledge idea. That may be your best bet, but depending on your condo neighbors you may get hassled for it (better than freezing though).

I like the window ledge idea. That may be your best bet, but depending on your condo neighbors you may get hassled for it (better than freezing though).

Hrmmm... I wonder if I can disguise it inside an old air conditioner.

You probably could, but at 20 degrees out, they might wonder why you're running the a/c.

And then, it just might occur to them to wonder why your a/c works with the power out, and why your lights are on...

And you know what comes after that, right?

That's right...

frankenstein_villagers488.jpg

I think the first question is: what are you trying to power? Being in an apt style condo you may not even have access to your circuit box - so powering things in the condo will have to be done directly off of whatever power source you use.

In my mind pretty much your only two options are a bunch of batteries - like a big APC UPS setup (you can buy them off of Ebay for cheap money sometimes) - or a small quiet generator like a Honda Eu1000 or EU2000.

From your description you would have to put the generator in some sort of setup like the shell of an air conditioner mounted in a window. Then you would have to sound proof the hell out of it so your neighbors didn't catch on.

I think this is all doable - but would take some work.

I live in a condo as well in the exact same situation...I have an EU2000 that I use on my Boat during the summer...durring the winter it remains in my storage here in the condo.....I also have a small fireplace....my plan was such......I can not run this inside because of the CO, but I could run it in the fireplace alcove....run the main line off it for heating unit / refrigeration ect ect....and then use the typical window / fireplace sealing kit I seal my windows up with...thus having the CO run up the flu instead of my home.....also I have a few battery powered CO detectors I plan on using if this comes to bare....Keeping us safe!

Back
Top Bottom