Concealed weapons licenses issued in Bedford “steady” since 2007, police chief says

MaverickNH

NES Member
Concealed weapons licenses issued in Bedford “steady” since 2007, police chief says

"Each year for the last four years, Bedford has issued, on average, 200 concealed weapons licenses to Bedford residents, Police Chief John Bryfonski said. “(The licenses issued) range from a low of 155 to a high of 225, so that’s sort of the median,” Bryfonski explained....

For Bedford residents with no criminal history, the process to become licensed to carry a concealed weapon is relatively simple. RSA 159 reads that anyone in town should receive a permit if they fear injury or “has any proper purpose,” assuming that the applicant is a “suitable person to be licensed.” Residents of the state applying for a resident pistol/revolver license must submit the state’s application with a $10 fee. The application asks for general identification information, plus questions concerning convicted felonies, possible controlled substance addiction, any history of being deemed a “mental defective” or if committed to a mental institution, as well as domestic violence convictions. The application also requires three references. In accordance with state law, the designated body – in Bedford’s case, the police chief – determines how to review the application and decide whether to issue the license....

"Some people obtain (a license) and don’t renew it every four years,” Bryfonski said. “If you take the most recent four-year period, (2007-10) approximately 800 (currently hold a license) – that’s about right. It works out to 825, that is, as an absolute figure. It ebbs and flows.”

Throughout, the article seems factual and correct, but somehow I just get the feel that the nature of "shall-issue" is not well communicated. From what was said, the system seems very discretionary and more like MA's than a "shall-issue" state. True, the RSA language gives the CoP/Selectmen discretion, but not as arbitrarily as does MA.

Maybe I am overly sensitive, but perhaps a Letter to the Editor is in order to:
1. Complement the author
2. Suggest that while CCW permits are constant in Bedford, gun sales are way up since 2008
3. Better contrast "shall-issue", "may issue" and "unrestricted" states, so people know that there must be a reason NOT to issue a permit vs a reason TO issuse a permit in "shall issue" states
4. Remind people that NH gota "Castle Dotrine" law passed this year over the objections of some law enforcement organizations and that a bill is in expected next year to make NH the 5th unrestricted "Constitutional Carry" state in the USA

I went and done it.

To the Editor:

I would complement MaryAlice Gill on her quite factual article "Weapons permit rate 'steady'", which discussed the statistics and process of Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) permits in Bedford and New Hampshire. Her article well describes the relatively simple process for obtaining a resident CCW permit in Bedford and almost all NH towns. I might note that while the permit rate is rather steady in Bedford, that gun sales and ownership have significantly increased nation-wide since 2008, likely over fears that the current administration would act to increase gun restrictions. Indeed, the current administration has worked to do so through executive actions and policies that don't require legislative voting, as many legislators fear being labeled "anti-gun" in a society where almost one half of all homes have a gun.

While CCW issue is subject to the final discretion of typically the Police Chief, it is well to note that NH is one of currently 37 "shall issue" states where permits are usually issued unless the applicant is otherwise unqualified by written standards (not a felon, not mentally disabled, etc) as opposed to "may issue" states, like Massachusetts, where a Chief may deny permits to any or all applicants on an arbitrary basis. Four states have unrestricted CCW (VT, AK, AZ and WY) and only one state denies CCW permits by law (IL). Since 1986, when there were only 8/1 "shall issue"/"unrestricted" states, crime has gone down nation-wide, and while there remains debate on whether this can be attributed to increases in CCW, no credible research suggests more CCW cause more crime.

This year, NH passed a "Castle Doctrine" law, against the wishes of the Governor and some law enforcement organizations, reducing the legal risk of using a gun for legally justified self-defense. Next year a bill to make NH the next unrestricted "Constitutional Carry" state stands an excellent chance of passing.

We citizens of Bedford look forward to our new Chief of Police Bryfonski's continued support of our second amendment right to keep and bear arms.

My letter got published as submitted.

I usually get a few anonymous letters from anti-gunners within a week of publishing something in a local paper. No balls to send a letter to the editor in response. Do they ever wonder why they lose?

My letter got published as submitted.

I usually get a few anonymous letters from anti-gunners within a week of publishing something in a local paper. No balls to send a letter to the editor in response. Do they ever wonder why they lose?

Will you share any gems you receive?

Back
Top Bottom