Comfort with concealed....

So i've had a LTC for a while. Been at the range a bunch of times. Im comfortable there. But just started carrying a.38 snubby in a pocket holster on a regular basis. How long does it take to get comfortable knowing it is there all the time? Everytime i get in the car, i'm always super careful not to bump it. Not like it will go off accidentally or anything, but i feel like im being too carefull...over-compensating for safety (if that's possible). Did everyone experience this?

Before you know it, you'll forget it's even there.

Me, I like to be comfortable but never completely forget that it's there. I don't want to become one of those idiots you hear about on the news getting arrested for accidentally violating some anti-firearm provision by going to a school or something.

I must say my pocket carry 38 is working really well for me, too. When I was using a traditional IWB holster with an automatic I always ran into situations where I wished I could remove my outer layer. Also, when using the toilet I always had to remove my firearm from the holster and find someplace to place it. I was always worrying about a) the gun falling and alarming the other people in the bathroom or b) forgetting and leaving it behind. With the pocket holster the 38 just stays there. Works great with shorts, too.

I used to always worry, am I printing, what if somebody sees, always adjusting my pants. For me, it took a while, but now, I just do my best to conceal, but, I really don't care anymore if anyone notices.

So i've had a LTC for a while. Been at the range a bunch of times. Im comfortable there. But just started carrying a.38 snubby in a pocket holster on a regular basis. How long does it take to get comfortable knowing it is there all the time? Everytime i get in the car, i'm always super careful not to bump it. Not like it will go off accidentally or anything, but i feel like im being too carefull...over-compensating for safety (if that's possible). Did everyone experience this?

I think everyone experiences this.

Personally I don't like pocket carrying a revolver. It doesn't matter how lightweight it is, you will always have to deal with the thickness of the cylinder in your pocket. I don't have pockets that big or deep unless I wear MC Hammer pants.

Don't worry about bumping it. Don't worry about dropping it either. I bang my carry guns into everything and have yet to blow my nuts off. I've also dropped them a number of times and aside from leaving a big dent in my hardwood floors, nothing spectacular came of it.

I've dropped:
SW Model 60 on hardwood floor twice
Glock 26 on concrete once, hardwood twice
Glock 19 on hardwood twice
Keltec P3AT on hardwood once

This comment here "Been at the range a bunch of times" is where your comfort level will increase as you get more range time.

Me, I like to be comfortable but never completely forget that it's there. I don't want to become one of those idiots you hear about on the news getting arrested for accidentally violating some anti-firearm provision by going to a school or something.

I must say my pocket carry 38 is working really well for me, too. When I was using a traditional IWB holster with an automatic I always ran into situations where I wished I could remove my outer layer. Also, when using the toilet I always had to remove my firearm from the holster and find someplace to place it. I was always worrying about a) the gun falling and alarming the other people in the bathroom or b) forgetting and leaving it behind. With the pocket holster the 38 just stays there. Works great with shorts, too.

what kind of IWB holster are you using? You shouldn't be concerned about dropping pants and having it fall out.
I use a Glock 19 in an IWB and drop my pants all the time. I don't ever worry about the gun moving.

I used to always worry, am I printing, what if somebody sees, always adjusting my pants. For me, it took a while, but now, I just do my best to conceal, but, I really don't care anymore if anyone notices.

Same with me. I used to worry about printing. Now I just don't care. I'll just tell people it's the iPhone 6 beta version.

I bang my carry guns into everything and have yet to blow my nuts off. I've also dropped them a number of times and aside from leaving a big dent in my hardwood floors, nothing spectacular came of it.

I've dropped:

Sigh, must call you "Butterfingers".[wink]

But just started carrying a.38 snubby in a pocket holster on a regular basis. How long does it take to get comfortable knowing it is there all the time?

A1850, the thing that will make you feel the most secure is a good quality holster. When I first started, for a month or so, I used a Blackhawk universal holster. I was always reaching down to feel that it was still there, making sure my shirt was pulled down; always messing with it.

Then I finally spent the money and invested in a Crossbreed SuperTuck inside the waistband holster. Within the first week, I stopped having the urge to "check myself". Having a holster that you are confident in, will make the biggest difference for you.

After a while you learn that nobody pays the slightest attention to what's going on around them. (Discouraging, but true.) I've lost track of the number of times I've been in for a physical and dumped my G19 and spare magazines on a chair along with my jacket before they take my weight, then re-holster afterward. The scales are out in the main hallway, but nobody ever seems to notice or care. Last week at church I had to substitute for a worship assistant who was ill. I go in the sacristy with the other assistant, take off my jacket and throw on a surplice over the Glock and mags. There's no way in the world that I wasn't printing like crazy during the entire service, but again nobody showed the slightest reaction.

Ken

Ken is right about how oblivious people are. Unless your print is captain obvious, or your gun goes skittering across the floor, 99.9% will never notice you are carrying a handgun.

Also, unless you've completely lost concealment... NEVER touch the gun through your shirt or whatever. That's pretty much a sure fire way to tell everyone else that
something is there. If you pretend its not there everyone else won't know it's there, either.

When I started carrying one of the guns I used to carry was a Sig P226. I carried it outside of the waistband, in a Don Hume JIT slide (basically a belt slide holster that just covers the trigger guard and the middle of the gun and nothing else) with a spare mag in a carrier on the other side. The only thing I had concealing it was a shirt. It even printed a little, but nobody ever noticed it.
I've even had cases where my gun made that loud THUNK noise as it bangs into the wood in a restaurant booth/wall/etc.... but still, nobody ever notices. [rofl]

-Mike

Ken is right about how oblivious people are. Unless your print is captain obvious, or your gun goes skittering across the floor, 99.9% will never notice you are carrying a handgun.

Also, unless you've completely lost concealment... NEVER touch the gun through your shirt or whatever. That's pretty much a sure fire way to tell everyone else that
something is there. If you pretend its not there everyone else won't know it's there, either.

When I started carrying one of the guns I used to carry was a Sig P226. I carried it outside of the waistband, in a Don Hume JIT slide (basically a belt slide holster that just covers the trigger guard and the middle of the gun and nothing else) with a spare mag in a carrier on the other side. The only thing I had concealing it was a shirt. It even printed a little, but nobody ever noticed it.
I've even had cases where my gun made that loud THUNK noise as it bangs into the wood in a restaurant booth/wall/etc.... but still, nobody ever notices. [rofl]

-Mike

yup, this. [laugh]

i started with a Glock 22 in a Cheap "Elite Holster" like the average new gun buyer... i just wanted to carry. no one noticed, even with more than obvious "gun owner" printing. like when you are the range with friends.

i carry IWB, so if i think i'm printing, i'll just throw my right hand in my pocket and use my forearm to adjust the shirt. sometimes i can feel it riding up... it's rare, but when shopping, squatting ect... again, NO ONE notices. i got made once... the lady's eyes got big in a dept. store and i just smiled, nodded and walked away. but that was a much bigger gun (G22) in a cheap belt and an even cheaper holster vs. what i run now (g19).

People are so busy talking or texting on their cell phones that unless you unholster and start waving it around over your head and yell "Look at what I have", they won't notice.

But we all go through that period where we think everyone see's it hidden under our shirt/hoodie/jacket. It's normal.

it takes a different amount of time for each person, but normally a few weeks worth of carry will make your fears go away

Yup.

I tend to baby my guns, the ones that I have because I wanted them for the collection are still treated extra nice. I scratched one an hour after getting it, and was mad the rest of the day.

My carry guns I look at as tools, and a few scratches and finish wear give them character. I dropped my M&P a couple weeks after I got it and a new holster. (it was unloaded, I was trying out the holster and, well, missed). I wasn't happy. Now, if the screen door happens to smack it when I'm carrying something into the house, I check the door for damage [laugh]

Just look at it this way, before you started carrying, did you walk around thinking "ZOMG! someone will think this cell phone holder under my jacket/sweatshirt/what ever is a gun and call the police!!!!!" I'll guess "nope". Most people are about as aware of the world around them as a horse with blinders on. And they like it that way. I bet you can think back a year before you started carrying, and you never looked twice at people around you 99% of the time. (dont feel bad, me either[wink])

Last edited:
How long does it take? When you hear your significant other (or mother) yell from the basement laundry room: "UH _____ YOU LEFT YOUR GUN IN YOUR PANTS AND I ALMOST WASHED THEM!" you're good to go. [laugh]

Personal note: I've never done that exactly but have forgot a magazine in a cargo pant pocket a couple times and got the aforementioned yell from the basement. [slap]

Side question w/o going to much off topic, what would happen IF a loaded magazine made it to the dryer? [grenade]

As others have mentioned, the length of time it gets to feel comfortable carrying varies from person to person. I remember being pretty conscious of carrying for about the first month or so. After that, my focus on it faded more and more every day. After a few months of carrying everyday I stopped thinking about it. I'm still conscious of how I'm concealing but, typically, only when I'm getting dressed. I don't worry about printing. If my family can't pick up on it, I doubt the soccer moms at the grocery store will.

You'll get used to it in your own time just try not to be too self conscious in public. Just save your concealment checks for the car and restroom.

what kind of IWB holster are you using? You shouldn't be concerned about dropping pants and having it fall out.
I use a Glock 19 in an IWB and drop my pants all the time. I don't ever worry about the gun moving.

Same with me. I used to worry about printing. Now I just don't care. I'll just tell people it's the iPhone 6 beta version.

Same here. Used to worry, then realized how oblivious people are, especially in Mass. Now that I'm not in Mass anymore, I just tell people it's a handgun. [Only drew looks once - it got too hot for a sweathshirt, so I just untucked my t-shirt and let that hang over it. The reaction was 'is that comfortable riding like that? Really? What kind of holster? Do they carry them around here anywhere or just online?"]

When you reach that point however, you'll have to make a conscious effort to remind yourself that it's there. You don't want to forget it's there and walk into a federal building or a school property, or try to board a plane.

Last edited:
I actually fell odd when she isn't there.
Yup

Drop it in the crotch of your downed pants, it's a pretty stable area assuming you don't shift to much when TP becomes the next step, and you'll remember it's there real quick when you lift your drawers [wink]. At least, that's where I keep mine whenever in public and nature calls

Carrying CCW should never be so "comfortable" that you forget you are carrying, like another poster said (as well as Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch) carrying a handgun should be comforting not comfortable. Always maintain a state of relaxed awareness.

People get in jams when they forget they are carrying esp at airports and certain public buildings that have metal detectors.

I've dropped:

First - dude, what the heck are you doing? cartwheels through the living room? Second, remind me to never let you use one of my guns.[grin] I don't remember ever dropping one of my guns. My son dropped his new rifle before he even had a chance to shoot it. I told him not to worry about it, that it gives it character.

I actually fell odd when she isn't there.

This. I feel naked if i am not carrying something. I love carrying in a shoulder holster at home. Tshirt and shorts and either a 229 or 226 with a couple of spare mags.

I think everyone experiences this.

Personally I don't like pocket carrying a revolver. It doesn't matter how lightweight it is, you will always have to deal with the thickness of the cylinder in your pocket. I don't have pockets that big or deep unless I wear MC Hammer pants.

Don't worry about bumping it. Don't worry about dropping it either. I bang my carry guns into everything and have yet to blow my nuts off. I've also dropped them a number of times and aside from leaving a big dent in my hardwood floors, nothing spectacular came of it.

I've dropped:

This comment here "Been at the range a bunch of times" is where your comfort level will increase as you get more range time.

I think people love my mc hammer pants because everyone stares at me. Probably wondering where to get them.

After reading tons of threads here, I finally realized the biggest issue I was having was due to a crappy belt. A good stiff gun belt will keep the holster flat against you instead of flopping away from your body causing a printacular bulge. I can't pocket carry my 38 revolver unless its in a coat but then I have to worry about aking my coat off.

For me I knew I was succeeding at concealed carry when my wife didn't notice anything until I was putting the gun back in the Gun Vault. When I'm worried about it, I pocket carry a .380. I had a PPK/S but have now switched to a Bodyguard. The pocket holster is key, but they're right, despite the bulge, no one notices anything. Cargo pants and shorts are perfect for this. Plenty of pockets for extra mags too. For IWB, a good holster is the key; spend the money.

I used to never carry, then i started carrying when I went into the city or areas I deemed less safe. Now I prefer to carry rather than not. The wife was freaked out at first, but now seems perfectly comfortable with it too. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom