Colt vs Bushmaster

Ok her goes going to be puchasing my first SBR. I am looking at the Colt M4 Commando and the Bushmaster M4 Entry!!!!!!! Both are just about the same gun, I was just looking for advice as to what people thought. Turns out Bushmaster is 200 less.

I should have put modle numbers!!!! The Colt is a 6933 and Bushmaster is BCWA3F. Both are semi-auto with 11.5 barrels!!!!!! Almost the same gun just diff makers!!

Federal Law states minimum barrel length for a rifle is 16" and overall rifle no shorter than 26". The Colt 6933 and Bushmaster BCWA3F with 11.5" barrels require a Class 3 license and NFA rules apply. Are you so licensed? If so, why not get full-auto?

It seems to me that the Colt just has better workmanship. The lines are cut clearer and the feel is better. Although i guess im just a "designer" make kind of guy. I'll go with the Colt!

Federal Law states minimum barrel length for a rifle is 16" and overall rifle no shorter than 26". The Colt 6933 and Bushmaster BCWA3F with 11.5" barrels require a Class 3 license and NFA rules apply. Are you so licensed? If so, why not get full-auto?
1. If you read the original post, you will see he used the term SBR, so it would appear he knows all of this.

2. You don't need to be "class 3 licensed"; the gun needs to be registered to you with a $200 NFA tax stamp - a subtle but important difference.

3. SBRs can be legally manufactured for new civilian sale. Full autos must be pre May 19, 1986. Given today's market values, that gives the poster over ten thousand reasons why he may be interested in a semi-only SBR.

They'll both go bang when you pull the trigger, but if the Colt is really only $200 more, I'd probably get the Colt.

How much do these sbr's cost? Full autos start at about 10 grand but you won't get a Colt for that. Colts are more like 15 grand unless it's a converted semi-auto. Those are still well above 10 grand. You may not need a machinegun license for a sbr but your police chief still has to sign the form 4 or ATF won't approve the transfer. If he's willing to sign the form4 he may be willing to issue you a machinegun license. If so grab it. You never know when things will change

Colt- Colts come assembled correctly. A Colt will have a proper staked Castle nut. The colt will have a proper torqued and staked Gas Key. The colt will Have a proper F marked front sight Base. A Colt will have a 1/7 twist and a barell made out of Mil spec steel. THe Colt will have its barell and Bolt Mag Particle inspected for cracks or flaws. THe Buffer Tube on the Colt Will be Mil spec. The Colt if its aCarbine will have the prober extractor insert(Black) and proper spring 5 Coils. The Colt will have the proper Buffer in it (h marked)If its an Older Colt or a Current 6920 or 6940 and you can get it for only $200 more grab it.
IF the Colt is a Civilain-Post van version -get the Bushmaster. The non Leo /Military Colts do not go through the same Quality Control as the LE/Military guns. This is what I learned when I went though the Colt armorers class a few years ago YMMV. On the other side it doesnt cost much money to get a Bushmaster set up Correctly.

How much do these sbr's cost? Full autos start at about 10 grand but you won't get a Colt for that. Colts are more like 15 grand unless it's a converted semi-auto. Those are still well above 10 grand. You may not need a machinegun license for a sbr but your police chief still has to sign the form 4 or ATF won't approve the transfer. If he's willing to sign the form4 he may be willing to issue you a machinegun license. If so grab it. You never know when things will change

SBRs don't cost significantly more than a normal rifle, except for the transfer tax.

You may not need a machinegun license for a sbr but your police chief still has to sign the form 4 or ATF won't approve the transfer.

You do not always need the Signature, depending on how you do the transfer. Example = if in a Trust or Corp. ect.. you do not need the chiefs signature.

Ok thanks for all the in put. It looks like it will prob be the COLT!!!!! That is what I was leaning to but just wanted second opinion. As several have asked why not get the full auto? Well as answered by several would be the MONEY. The Colt 6933 is a SBR semi auto thus saving me about $13,000.00. because that is what the same gun but full aouto would be. Oh and most AR's that are full auto do not have a SBR, because who in there right mind would spend 13-14 grand and then cut a factory barrel??????? NOT ME. As several poster have replyed pre 86 has a hefty price. Ordering COLT in morning!!!!! [smile]

There is no such thing as a "class 3 license" for an SBR. You'd just need to get an NFA tax stamp for it. In NFA land the guns are tied to the owner via payment of a federal tax stamp and filing of onerous paperwork. There is no "license". (In MA there's a MG license, but that's a separate issue unto and of itself, and has nothing to do with SBRs. )

Further, a full auto version of the same thing would have to be made off a pre-86 receiver or sear, and would likely cost him about 10 times the amount
of money. [laugh]

-Mike

j886 said:
Oh and most AR's that are full auto do not have a SBR, because who in there right mind would spend 13-14 grand and then cut a factory barrel??????? NOT ME.

In an M16 the gun's worth is in the sear or receiver, the rest is just basically
ordinary parts. A lot of guys who own a registered M16 lower will have
several different uppers they use on it with varying barrel lengths, calibers,
etc.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom