Colt Sistema

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these guns. I'm awaiting my C+R license and also I guess I am looking at jumping on the 1911 bandwagon. They are basically your standard issue 1911 correct? And also should be able to take any of the aftermarket parts that fit other 1911's? What kind of sucks though is the site that I was looking at had parkerized one's and they had polished metal and they ran out of the parkerized ones which were $100 cheaper. Also if anyone has any info on reliability, quality, etc.....

There is a section on the 1911 website that talks about these pitols (IIRC) but I can't find it at the moment. Basically these are Colt 1911A1s made by Argentina on machinery provided by Colt so they are exact copies of the Colts. Generally they are pretty good pistols although many seem to be kind of beat up in my experience. I have two and would get more if I could find them. Here is a pic of one. The other is still blued although the blueing is very worn.

edited to add:

Found the website, has some good reading.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=68064

ArgentineColt.jpg

Last edited:
Colt Systema M1927

Basically these are Colt 1911A1s made by Argentina on machinery provided by Colt so they are exact copies of the Colts.

While it is true they were made on Colt machinery in Argentina and the employees were trained by Colt employees they are exact copies of the 1911 but not the A1.

The Slide Release and Thumb Safety are a lot smaller then an A1. The biggest difference is that the Grip Safety is also smaller and you will likely get the 1911 "hammer bite" as the skin on the back of the web of your hand gets pinched between the grip safety and the hammer when the pistol is in recoil. You'll find the original sights pretty small as well.

I got one several years ago when they were 1st made available. Very nice 1911 right out of the box. Well worth what I paid for it and then some.

I changed out the Slide Release and Thumb Safety with Wilson parts easily. Bought a Wilson Drop in Wide Beaver Tail Grip Safety as it did bite me. Problem then was the Hammer has to be the ring style Commander Hammer. If I was going to change out the hammer, I might as well change out the sear and trigger. Time for a good Smitty. Once that was all done it was a great shooter. Course the sights were still too small for my age challanged eyes. CDNN had Colt Slides for sale. Fixed, Adjustable as well as NO sights. As I couldn't decide, I bought all three. One of these days I gotta get the night sights put on that third slide.

And I'd do it all again.

As mentioned above, they are hard to find now a days. I've seen a few at gun shows, but they are pretty beat up and they were looking to get $400 plus for it.

I saw both a Sistema and a Balaster Molina (forgive the spelling) today at Rileys in Hookset, NH. They were asking $450 each. The Sistema appeared to be refinished (not sure) and the BM looked original but very good shape. Do you have a C&R license? They both qualify give them a call.

I'd love to check them out when my C+R comes in. I've been waiting over 90 days so far. Assuming the Mass examiner comes through like she said she would when I talked to her a few days ago, I should have my C+R within the next few days I would hope. I figured the Systema would be an interesting first buy with the license. It'd be my first C+R purchase and first 1911 style gun. Hopefully the supply doesn't run dry by the time I do get my license.

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! Just got my C+R license like 5 minutes ago! The examiner did come through for me afterall. Now I can really start looking for that Colt Systema. Looks like I may not be buying from the original place I was thinking too because someone PMed me and warned that this particular company takes a long time to fill the order as well as some other issues.

I may have found a site besides one that someone warned me about previously. I am not sure if anyone has done any business with XXXXXX but I sent them an e-mail yesterday asking them if they still have any of the Sistema's in stock. they also had some other 1911 copies like the ballester molinas (which i plan to stay away from) and Colt Government Model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I will be getting something a little different from what I planned. A guy on Gunbroker had a 1911 listed with a Colt frame and Remington Rand slide on it all re-blued and looking pretty good. I asked before bidding if he'd ship it here and it was a yes. Not a bad buy too at $595 including shipping. There was a sistema that was looking pretty good too, but I like guns with a dark finish more than ones with nickel plating and such. Also since it's kind of a mutt I won't feel guilty about changing a few things on it.

To top it off the guy took credit card as payment without charging the normal 3% rip off fee and a faxed copy of my C+R. It ships tomorrow!

God bless the C+R FFL[smile]

Last edited:
The first "Argentine Colts". Were made in US and delivered to Argentina in 1927. They read "EJERCITO ARGENTINO COLTS CAL .45 MOD.1927. And the left side is marked "COLTS PT. F.A. MFG. CO..etc"
They're were also several others labeled for the Argentine Navy, Coast Guard Air Force.. And probably the rarest were the Argentine Navy models with the Swartz safety.

As we know the D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.) Sist guns. Were the guns licensed by Colt and made in Argentina. I have one also.

But be aware that the Ballester-Molina 1911-A1 styled guns made by Argentina are unlicensed and are a redesign so parts (except barrel and magazine) do not interchange between them and the 1911-A1.

Last edited:
Maybe i'll look in to getting a sistema for a future 1911 style purchase. For now i'm pretty happy with what I got. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to find a Colt gun or gun with a Colt frame cheap. Those sistemas do seem like decent guns. I did some reading up on them and found that the Ballester Molinas I would want to stay away from because even though they look like 1911's they are completely incompatible except for slides and barrels I believe. Anything after that sounds like they'd be a safe bet as they were contracted by Colt unlike the Ballester Molina's which were unlicensed knockoffs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom