• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A smoked Colt Navy...

Fascinating stuff here.
What is “carding”?
It's the rubbing or brushing of the surface after the 'red rust' hematite has been converted to 'black rust' magnetite to remove the loose fuzzy bits that aren't adhered to the surface. I primarily use a very fine wire wheel but you can use 0000 steel wool or bronze wool, leather, etc. I believe card stock was used, hence the term 'carding'.

A bit more work to do to make it a shooter. The bolt (cylinder lock) is slipping off the cam on he hammer preventing the cylinder from unlocking while cocking the hammer. I want to close up the barrel/cylinder gap about 0.010" and then test to see if it will pop a cap...or six. The striking face of the hammer may need some metal build up.
I'm going to replace a few of the mangled screws, maybe do one more round of bluing on the barrel depending on whether I need to machine the strut to close up the B/C gap and maybe one more application of BLO on the grip.

It did shine up pretty well, I think.
1639010210819.jpeg

A bit more work to do to make it a shooter. The bolt (cylinder lock) is slipping off the cam on he hammer preventing the cylinder from unlocking while cocking the hammer. I want to close up the barrel/cylinder gap about 0.010" and then test to see if it will pop a cap...or six. The striking face of the hammer may need some metal build up.
I'm going to replace a few of the mangled screws, maybe do one more round of bluing on the barrel depending on whether I need to machine the strut to close up the B/C gap and maybe one more application of BLO on the grip.

It did shine up pretty well, I think.
View attachment 550153
so much better than it was.... getting it shooting again will be a plus

Very nice.
The only area I’d keep an eye on is cast around pins. I’m sure it’s fine to function repeatedly, but smaller diameter pin posts would’ve given me a peace of mind with thicker cast wall around them.

Very nice.
The only area I’d keep an eye on is cast around pins. I’m sure it’s fine to function repeatedly, but smaller diameter pin posts would’ve given me a peace of mind with thicker cast wall around them.
I think that area will be ok. The main job of the pins is to clock the barrel. The load (which is rather small) applied to them is tangential to the center point of the cylinder spigot in which case there is substantial material to support them.
When firing, the load in this area should be inward against the frame as the barrel tries to pivot axially (bend) around the spigot... i.e., the barrel proper is pushed forward but is constrained by the spigot/wedge so it tries to flex the spigot downward, hence, forcing the 'strut of the barrel' back against the frame.

I think that area will be ok. The main job of the pins is to clock the barrel. The load (which is rather small) applied to them is tangential to the center point of the cylinder spigot in which case there is substantial material to support them.
When firing, the load in this area should be inward against the frame as the barrel tries to pivot axially (bend) around the spigot... i.e., the barrel proper is pushed forward but is constrained by the spigot/wedge so it tries to flex the spigot downward, hence, forcing the 'strut of the barrel' back against the frame.
That’s all so only if hinge-action pin isn’t to loose.
Plus something like that is not going to be fired from - let’s just say - a lot.
Very nice job overall and than you for sharing.

That’s all so only if hinge-action pin isn’t to loose.
Plus something like that is not going to be fired from - let’s just say - a lot.
Very nice job overall and than you for sharing.
Thank you. Correct in that this will see limited firing and with low power loads as well.

On to the next one...

Very nice work. Enjoyed the pix of the lathe work. While I no longer have a full size lathe, I still have my watchmaker's lathe. Had to use it to make a safety plunger for a 1908 Colt one time. They're spring loaded - something I did NOT know when I took the gun apart. Never did find the original.

Love it @Sweeny. May I ask what your vocation is? Machinist, mechanic, technician, engineer? Other?

Thanks! I'm a technician who dabbles in machining, fabrication, design, problem solving to keep the ship afloat.
I'm that to a lesser degree... but thoroughly enjoy seeing someone finish a desire in a well-executed manner. Kudos!

Back
Top Bottom