• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

colt python.

My godson bought a 4" blue that was beautiful but the worst shooting revolver I've ever shot. He had to send it to Colt to be re timed. Now it shoots fine but I hear that this is a common problem with Pythons. He just bought a 6" stainless and says it shoots great. I've never owned one and don't plan to. I think the S&W has a better double action pull than any Colt, including the hand fitted Python. I can't see spending that much money on a handgun that you can't shoot much for fear of damaging it and gunsmiths who can fix it are probably becoming scarce.

I've got an anaconda with several K rounds through it. Never an issue. Still tight. Bought it new. Still shoot it occasionally. Still a tight lockup. Just out of curiosity. What exactly breaks that messes up the timing?

The Anaconda is based on the Cobra and therefore is a "better" (more reliable, longer lasting - less smooth than the Python but still very nice feeling) system. Weak hand/pawl, weak bolt is what leads to Pythons falling out of timing. As another poster has pointed out there's limited amount of modification/correction that can be done here - my gunsmith, a very experienced go-to Colt guy, quoted me a price and said he could do this ONCE but the next time (and there would be a next time) parts would need to be replaced i.e. purchased for big $$$ and hand-fitted for big $$$, and that any gunsmith who stated otherwise was not one to entrust with your pistol. I did not end up doing the repair because it was expensive, and wound up selling both pistols.

because that's what the guy carries on the TV show Walking Dead. I swear there is a correlation between the increase in the price of Python's and the popularity of the Walking Dead

Agreed 100%.

Hollywood totally effects popularity of firearms - no question. Videogames too, big time.

Lea Penick carries a 4" Bright Stainless Python, and I wouldn't insult her for her choice of hardware.

d5c66a80dfa744eef1620fc86bdad2f3.jpg

[thumbsup]

I have an '86 Stainless Python that was bequeathed to me so I have really nothing into it. If someone offered me an M1a and an M1 Garand in trade for it, I would probably buckle. I keep it just because it's my only 38sp/357mag firearm. I rarely shoot it and never carry it.

Huh. I never thought of comparing the value of a Python to what the proceeds could buy. Fascinating!

I have an '86 Stainless Python that was bequeathed to me so I have really nothing into it. If someone offered me an M1a and an M1 Garand in trade for it, I would probably buckle. I keep it just because it's my only 38sp/357mag firearm. I rarely shoot it and never carry it.

When do you want to meet up to make the deal happen?

I got a 6” blued one in excellent shape about 7 years ago in a trade for a gun I had $700 in. Shot it once and it was balls on accurate. My son would never forgive me if I let it go down the road.

A friend of mine (not in Mass) said he'd been hanging onto an Anaconda for years and he was thinking of selling. Said "I bet I could get at least $800 for it." I resisted the urge to be a sleaze and head to the ATM, and showed him the completed Gunbroker auctions instead. He was floored.

got mine in 1980 for 550 bucks. 8 3/8 blued, still shoots like a dream, trigger is unmatched.. still so smooth. one of my favorites

Back
Top Bottom