• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

colt python.

Just want to know you toughts on the “legendary” Colt Python..... Are they really worth the thousands of dollars? Is it worth the investment? Lets me know your thoughts..

If you dig the style, they're pretty nice, and they seem to hold their value.

but, you can get a brand new Smith & Wesson from the Performance shop that's pretty damn good.

They are worth what people are willing to pay, so yes, they are worth thousands of dollars.

For me personally, I would rather have several guns that I can enjoy at the range ‘worry free’ than one really nice one that lives in a safe.

Ready to accept the hate but the fact is the timing goes to shit in 1000-1500rd. They are fragile little babies and after the first time the timing goes to shit, it gets REAL expensive to fix it. They just weren't built to last, don't ask me why but they used cheap metal and poor designs for a long time. There are fan boys and that's cool, I'm not knocking them, but those are the facts.

"OK but it's a multi-thousand dollar wallhanger novelty" - sure that's a mindset to take, but that's not the measure of a pistol. By that logic one of those slapfire Nambus is a great gun. This isn't just a safe queen that you have to be afraid to drop, it's a safe queen you need to be afraid to shoot. Pythons are expensive because they're out of production, they're iconic in appearance, have an iconic name (MFG and model) and they're OK pistols to shoot because the DA pull from the factory was very smooth. That's about it.

As for investment purposes, well, the Cobra came back last year. First snake gun in many years. Will the Python come back (or some Cobra-based gun like the Anaconda bearing the Python name?) it's possible and while it might not totally tank the market on original Pythons it will certainly put a dent in it. It's not like SAA variants where there's history buffs after them, or historical context to how/where they were built that makes them more desirable.

I inherited two Pythons and I own zero Pythons now - one didn't make it 500rd without falling out of timing and the other was valuable so I sold it, too. I also inherited several original Dan Wessons, and I own all three of them because they are FANTASTIC pistols that live up to every ounce of hype they receive (and deserve the reputation given to Colt). Frankly my 80s and 90s and even current production S&W are nicer than those Pythons were in almost every respect, except maybe the quality of the bluing.

*edit:
Can't believe I left this out, but you know the lockup on Colts is the most assbackward design under the sun. If you're a lefty forget it, but even right handed it's absurd. S&W is just a more logical, natural motion (and thus so are Taurus, Charters, Eibars, other clones). Ruger is a more simple, natural motion. Even the goofy crane-mounted release on the Dan Wesson and certain Taurus models is much easier/more natural to operate.

Last edited:
Ready to accept the hate but the fact is the timing goes to shit in 1000-1500rd. They are fragile little babies and after the first time the timing goes to shit, it gets REAL expensive to fix it. They just weren't built to last, don't ask me why but they used cheap metal and poor designs for a long time. There are fan boys and that's cool, I'm not knocking them, but those are the facts.

"OK but it's a multi-thousand dollar wallhanger novelty" - sure that's a mindset to take, but that's not the measure of a pistol. By that logic one of those slapfire Nambus is a great gun. This isn't just a safe queen that you have to be afraid to drop, it's a safe queen you need to be afraid to shoot. Pythons are expensive because they're out of production, they're iconic in appearance, have an iconic name (MFG and model) and they're OK pistols to shoot because the DA pull from the factory was very smooth. That's about it.

As for investment purposes, well, the Cobra came back last year. First snake gun in many years. Will the Python come back (or some Cobra-based gun like the Anaconda bearing the Python name?) it's possible and while it might not totally tank the market on original Pythons it will certainly put a dent in it. It's not like SAA variants where there's history buffs after them, or historical context to how/where they were built that makes them more desirable.

I inherited two Pythons and I own zero Pythons now - one didn't make it 500rd without falling out of timing and the other was valuable so I sold it, too. I also inherited several original Dan Wessons, and I own all three of them because they are FANTASTIC pistols that live up to every ounce of hype they receive (and deserve the reputation given to Colt). Frankly my 80s and 90s and even current production S&W are nicer than those Pythons were in almost every respect, except maybe the quality of the bluing.

*edit:
Can't believe I left this out, but you know the lockup on Colts is the most assbackward design under the sun. If you're a lefty forget it, but even right handed it's absurd. S&W is just a more logical, natural motion (and thus so are Taurus, Charters, Eibars, other clones). Ruger is a more simple, natural motion. Even the goofy crane-mounted release on the Dan Wesson and certain Taurus models is much easier/more natural to operate.
I agree 100 per cent. I've always thought most Colt revolvers are beautiful but fragile. I'd rather buy a handful of used K-Frame Smiths than one Colt Python.

They're beautiful guns, but what does a Python go for these days? $3K? You could get a whole pile of awfully nice S&W guns for that, and I think you could find someone to import you a Manhurin or Korth for that money.

Ready to accept the hate but......

I agree. They're beautiful and they feel great when they're new, but they shoot loose and very few smiths can fix them. I'm convinced that people buy them for the name and reputation. I passed on one that was a friggin' mess, and someone bought it for $500 more than the price that I was offered, then sold it for $300 more than that. If anybody had actually, you know, shot it, they would've seen it for what it was.

I have a couple of snake revolvers that I keep for investment purposes. I don't dare shoot them.

There is not a realistic concern about new production of Pythons. The fit and finish of Pythons required a lot of hand work and would not be economically feasible.

With that said, I believe that the current prices of Pythons are a bubble. From an investment perspective, I would be selling now if I owned a Python, and I certainly would not be a buyer at current prices.

If I remember correctly, there were about 150,00 Pythons made, and they were made relatively recently. So they are not particularly rare, and a great many of them survive in excellent condition. If I was looking for investment grade firearms, I would look for something more rare and historic. Smith & Wesson Registered Magnums come to mind; less than 6,000 in total, all made from 1935-1939. Every one is a true piece of history. First generation Colt Single Actions and early Winchester rifles nice too.

I have a couple of snake revolvers that I keep for investment purposes. I don't dare shoot them.

I have a '61 Detective Special - my last Colt wheel gun. Issued to a family member and not worth over $1k so I'm not eager to get rid of it, so I guess you could call it an "investment" but no - no - no I do not shoot it and wouldn't unless I "had to" if you take my meaning.

I hear you all..... how about as a investment point of view????

I'd be worried about more Colt wheelguns coming out and tanking the market.
Say it's unlikely but the Cobra/Anaconda series was easier to make than Python.
I wouldn't put it past Colt to make a Python-in-name-only Cobra/Conda soon.

Buy low, sell high... how low can you buy?
Is there a gun available to you now?
Is it a too good to pass up price?

Last edited:
If they start making Pythons again would that hurt the value? If the new Cobra sells well they might make a Python.

Whatever "python" colt puts out today will NEVER come close to the original 1950s vintage guns. So in my opinion a "new" python offering will not effect the originals value.

That being said.....I had the privelage of shooting a python once. Yes they are a superior piece of guncraft. However I can think of many things I could do with $2k to $4k.

I like the python,have owned a few in my time.Would like to own another one,but will not pay the money that they are asking for them.

Whatever "python" colt puts out today will NEVER come close to the original 1950s vintage guns. So in my opinion a "new" python offering will not effect the originals value.

I would argue that any wheel gun Colt makes (see: 2016 Colt Cobra) would do better than "come close" to the original Pythons. The later snake guns based on the Cobra design were all an improvement over original Pythons, and if the newest Cobra is any indicator they have somewhat addressed the crummy lockup system, and overcome the spring issues without changing the appearance much. The originals were hand polished future basket-cases, where Dan Wessons, Rugers and Smiths of the same era are still going strong.

Again, if Pythons are fragile guns which are damaged by long term use, and were made in reasonably high numbers, why are they collectable? Because they're out of production and people either know the hype (and not the real reputation), are riding a trend of wanting something you can't buy new, or are watching the prices grow and consider them investment guns. They're desirable because you can't simply go out and buy one, and if you have one, other people know that and are jealous (or something).

If you COULD go out and buy one, and you could shoot the hell out of it to boot, that's gonna remove a good portion of the market for original Pythons. So there might be a few "I want a vintage, rare, barely shootable pistol" folks but I'd guess they're outnumbered by the "I want a Python" guys who'd be happy with an internally updated pistol that looks the same and says "Python" on the side. Why a Python, and not an Anaconda or Diamondback or Cobra? Because of media. Who cares if it's original - it's just like the show/movie/game!

SAAs are in production again but there's SO much history there it's really apples and oranges. There are a million historical attractors for collectors.

The age old answer is...

If you have to ask the question you cant afford it.

Ya. I own one. The first 357 I shot. It was a gift from a friend and no. It has a solid home. Id sell everything else first and its well protected.

With Colt getting back in the revolver business it’s likely that a new, improved Python is coming our way. I don’t think it will crater the values of the classic colts but i think it will crimp it a bit.

If you COULD go out and buy one, and you could shoot the hell out of it to boot, that's gonna remove a good portion of the market for original Pythons. So there might be a few "I want a vintage, rare, barely shootable pistol" folks but I'd guess they're outnumbered by the "I want a Python" guys who'd be happy with an internally updated pistol that looks the same and says "Python" on the side. Why a Python, and not an Anaconda or Diamondback or Cobra? Because of media. Who cares if it's original - it's just like the show/movie/game!

This nails me exactly. While I own Mosins, An M1 Carnine, Garand, etc, if there were new Pythons produced that had better internals and the same look at less $.....I'd be looking at a newer one rather than a 3k one. But that's just me....

They are legendary.
A 6", blued steel, Python was one of the first 3 handguns I ever bought.
I wish I still owned mine, which was sold years ago before their "value" went skyhigh.
Only you can determine if it's worth it to you.

*edit:

Agreed.

If you want to own something very collectible that will spend more time in the safe than the range, go Python.

If you want to shoot something semi collectible that will spend more time at the range, go DW 44VH, preferably one of the earlier Monson, MA guns. Outstanding accuracy and prices aren't ridiculous yet. Also the barrels are easy to change.

Side note: My Dad would regularly hunt in Alaska. The guide service he and his buddies used mandated a magnum sidearm for back-up, and for reliability they had a very strong preference for DW's. That said, I still think the Pythons are a beautiful design and would have one if the prices were not nuts.

This thread made me curious about the internals of a python and i went to youtube.
Its obvious what happens. The "bolt" and the "hand" both wear with use, there is no way to add metal to those parts. So when the parts are modified to engage further to compensate for the lost metal, the timing of the entire mechanism is now changing. Change 1 part and you need to tweak 3 or 4 more so they interact correctly to maintain the timing. These things are like watches inside. Its also easy to see how someone that doesn't work on these all the time can screw it up bad.

I have one. It's a nickel with mucked up nickel. 4". Works fine. It just isn't a comparison to my S&W65. Not any day of the week.

As a friend points out when we have this discussion, "Well, the trigger stacks nice." That's not how to shoot a gun. The stacking trigger is a royal PITA to me.

And it has about 123x more parts than any other revolver on the planet.

They ARE made well. There is no question. Colt did a nice job in hand-fitting these buggers. And the look is cool. I just don't like shooting mine.

I've got an anaconda with several K rounds through it. Never an issue. Still tight. Bought it new. Still shoot it occasionally. Still a tight lockup. Just out of curiosity. What exactly breaks that messes up the timing?

For me, the current $3k price tag isn't worth it. I've owned a couple in the past and I regret the hell out of selling them but what's done is done. I'll wait for a new one with a reasonable price tag and leave the big money ones to the collectors. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom