Colt M1908 .380 ACP - Advice, etc.

drgrant

NES Member
I'm not sure why I'm even posting this but I've had a strange affinity to acquire one of these pistols, and I'm not normally a "milsurp"/old gun kind of guy. I'm not sure what it is, I think it's the fact that the guns kinda look "ahead of their time" when they were produced.

-What is the typical price range for one of these in serviceable condition? EG, for something that's functionally sound? I'm not picky about year of production, serial number, or even mild to moderate holster wear.

-What kind of service life do these things have? Do parts break frequently? are there parts every 1908 owner should have?

-How does the safety lever on these actually work? Does it actually click on and off, or does it "scrape" on and off like the one on a BHP?

-How heavy is the trigger pull? (never fired one)

-Any other peculiarities, things to watch out for when buying, etc.

I might not get around to buying one of these for awhile but input will be valuable down the road.

Thanks,

-Mike

Here's some links to get you started:

http://www.coltautos.com/1908ph.htm

http://rangingthoughts.org/manowar/prices.asp

The ones that are marked "U.S. Property" are going to be priced roughly double of the "civilian" models. See the sold list from Gunbroker and Auctionarms for more pricing.

-What is the typical price range for one of these in serviceable condition? EG, for something that's functionally sound? I'm not picky about year of production, serial number, or even mild to moderate holster wear. See above

-What kind of service life do these things have? If cared for, it will definitely outlive you.

-Do parts break frequently? No

-Are there parts every 1908 owner should have? Not really, but you can always visit Numerich to see what's available. If anything, maybe a firing pin. Depending on the condition of the recoil spring, you may want to replace that as well.

-How does the safety lever on these actually work? Yes, of course.

-Does it actually click on and off, or does it "scrape" on and off like the one on a BHP? Scrape, no click.

-How heavy is the trigger pull? (never fired one) Varies - depends on condition. But not bad.

-Any other peculiarities, things to watch out for when buying, etc. Condition is everything, just like most milsurps.

Good luck, and welcome to the DARK SIDE!

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I'm even posting this but I've had a strange affinity to acquire one of these pistols, and I'm not normally a "milsurp"/old gun kind of guy. I'm not sure what it is, I think it's the fact that the guns kinda look "ahead of their time" when they were produced.

-What is the typical price range for one of these in serviceable condition? EG, for something that's functionally sound? I'm not picky about year of production, serial number, or even mild to moderate holster wear.

-What kind of service life do these things have? Do parts break frequently? are there parts every 1908 owner should have?

-How does the safety lever on these actually work? Does it actually click on and off, or does it "scrape" on and off like the one on a BHP?

-How heavy is the trigger pull? (never fired one)

-Any other peculiarities, things to watch out for when buying, etc.

I might not get around to buying one of these for awhile but input will be valuable down the road.

Thanks,

-Mike

I had a very nice one "like new" 2 years ago. If t had been fired, it didn't show. The trigger absolutely sucked as did the sights. By todays standards, the gun was to large for the caliber. The safety worked well with a nice click. It was a surprisingly tight gun. In general it was in perfect working order. The gun had lots of old cool going for it so I couldn't bring myself to change the sights or to smooth the trigger. I also have a Colt government model .380 that is very accurate partly due to the trigger which is far better than on the 1908, but the front site isn't much of a improvement. The Blonde likes shooting it and it was used as a beginner auto as she moved her way up to her Kimber 9mm. As a result the 1908 was used by me just for looking at. In the end, a collector/appreciator bought the 1908 for $750.00 . I paid $450.00 for the 1908. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't sell the 1908. I hope that you are able to find a keeper.

Last edited:
The Colt Pocket Hammerless 1903/1908 pistols are, historically speaking, really cool pistols. They have great lines and a great finish (depending on the finish!), and "in the day" were used by many famous and infamous people who were in a "business" that depended on firearms. The sights and triggers don't match what you will find on modern guns - but are ok for a "pocket gun". The are all steel and are heavy compared to modern "compact" pistols. Parts availability is mixed - for example, I struggled to replace a front sight, but not springs or grips. I'm glad to own one, and isn't one that I expect I'll be letting go of.

If my December 1920 M03 Colt weren't so high quality, it would be my carry piece.

The safety slips up into the slide to lock the trigger. You also have a back-strap safety that needs to be compressed for the pistol to fire even if the slide safety is off. The other notch holds the slide open.

At some point I may get a .380 to fill the gap between this and my 1917 M1911.

T.

Last edited:
MAJ - yours is in much nicer shape than either of mine. I've got one in .32ACP and one in .380ACP. I'll admit to carrying the .32 more than a couple of times. For me, it's one of the few pistols that fits my hand perfectly and that I shoot really well. The .380 is a recent addition so I haven't had as much range time with it. If I could find some good .380HP (Critical Defense) and get enough time to ensure realibility, I might switch to that one. My .32 loves Speer Gold Dots....yeah, it's only a .32, but better than foul language... :D

Aloha

I carry my M35 bring back 1939 Air Force Beretta. The pinky grip on the magazine makes for a perfect fit in my hand. I also like the top ejection feature.

T.

Last edited:
MAJ - is your Beretta in .32ACP or .380ACP? What holster/ammo do you use?

OP - www.simplyrugged.com makes a pocket holster for the 1903. It's not too bad. I think it's a little large. Eventually I'll get around to modifying it to better suit me. (I think it's a little deep)
Here it is with my .32ACP

I've also got an IWB that I bought from a member of www.coltforum.com. He specializes in holsters for the 1903/1908. No pictures right now, maybe tomorrow.

Aloha

I Don't want to hijack the OP's thread here...

The M35 is .32acp; M34 is .380. My preferred load is Fiochhi 73gr RN FMJ both for practice and carry.

I have an original post-war German style holster I use, or a modern clip-on Barsony #4 that can go on my hip or the small of my back inside the pants - hurts to drive that way, though. The snap release is adjustable; I can carry any one of my nine .32s with it - even the long FN 10/22 - but it pokes out a little bit. The Beretta's muzzle is 3/4 inch inside.

T.

.32acp is a FUN little round...

12:00 clockwise:
1920 M03 Colt
1937 Walther PP, commercial, RVF marked
1939 CZ27, early German proofed
1939 M35 Beretta, Air Force property
1943 FN 1910/22
1942 Mauser HSc
1941 Sauer 38H, Eagle C Police, 1st var.
1918 M13 Sauer, commercial
1918 M14 Mauser, commercial

If I could, I would carry the Walther; especially once I find a magazine with a finger extender.

Last edited:
Other things to watch out for:
- These pistols do not have a firing pin plunger stop.
I've read of ND's from people mexican carrying then dropping them.

- Husqvarna made a copy with a much longer barrel that I've seen for $300 in very good condition.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Husqvarna_m1907_1777.jpg
What's nice about these is that they have a slide stop on the right side of the pistol, BUT they're not designed to be manipulated by hand. You really have to rack the slide to reload and disengage the stop.

- Excellent specimens of 1903/1908 can go for as high as $1250.
- Chromed ones for $1500-$2000
- Serviceable ones go for $400 maybe a little less.

Last edited:
.32acp is a FUN little round...

12:00 clockwise:
1920 M03 Colt
1937 Walther PP, commercial, RVF marked
1939 CZ27, early German proofed
1939 M35 Beretta, Air Force property
1943 FN 1910/22
1942 Mauser HSc
1941 Sauer 38H, Eagle C Police, 1st var.
1918 M13 Sauer, commercial
1918 M14 Mauser, commercial

Very nice collection! But you really do need an FN 1900! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom