Colt CAR-15 Models Explained:

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member

Interesting article by Travis Pike from Pew Pew tactical

Colt CAR-15 Models Explained: More Than a Carbine​

When I say the phrase CAR-15, what do you picture?

I’m betting it’s a commando, with a cami-painted face, with a short, AR-15 carbine that predates the M4.

Well, the 603 and 604 they mention as example of the C’olt’AR-15, are clearly labeled AR-15 on the receivers.

And I shouldn’t have expected much from an author at “Pew Pew Tactical”, but apparently he doesn’t know the definition of a carbine:

“When I say a real carbine, I mean a submachine gun.”

Last edited:
Well, the 603 and 604 they mention as example of the C’olt’AR-15, are clearly labeled AR-15 on the receivers.

And I shouldn’t have expected much from an author at “Pew Pew Tactical”, but apparently he doesn’t know the definition of a carbine:

“When I say a real carbine, I mean a submachine gun.”

To be fair, he acknowledges the strange nomenclature issue and notes Colt themselves called it an SMG. I think the only point he was making is that calling the 605 a "carbine", while technically accurate, is not what a lot of people picture today for a carbine as it was still a 15" barrel plus a 3" flash hider. The 10" 607 plus 4.5" moderator is more inline with modern carbine lengths. Just that him calling it the "real carbine" and then further aggravating it by saying a "real carbine" is an SMG, makes for a confusing and technically inaccurate piece of info. But I'm still caulking this one up to terrible writing more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom