Color run from wood "combat" grips

I put my stock wood grips on my model 60 today b/c they conceal better and I love the way they feel when I draw the gun. So after fishing in the 90 deg temps for a few hours and working up a little sweat, I noticed when I got home that my white "undershirt" was stained from the grips (please refrain from any jokes).

Is this just how all stained wood acts or are these stock S&W wood grips just “cheap”.

AND does anyone have any suggestions of similar wood grips that would not do this?

If they came with the gun, give S&W a call and talk with their customer services people. Properly sealed wood shouldn't do this. Something sounds amiss in the mfg process on these grips.

Please report back what you are told as others may also benefit by the answers.

If you can find a set of These they are the best J frame grips I have ever used. I bought this set as a spare because they are so hard to find. Funny, ebay had 2 sets in the last week.

ETA-Many of the new revolver grips are oil finish. You may be getting the excess oil as the stain.

Last edited:
the answer is no

Properly finished wood should not bleed thru. sound like they forgot
to finish them or there was a finish failure.

in any event, call S&W for a replacement.

JimB

WOW! I just got off the phone with S&W and the guy was really cool and agreed that it was a problem. He put me on hold for a minute and when he came back he said he had a couple different grips on hand that he would mail out to me Monday morning. So I gave him my address and that was it.

+1000 for S&W

Well I must say that I am very disappointed. I will try to take a pic later but the grips that S&W sent to me are not even close to what came with the gun. They are super tacky, one has an eagle insert and the other has a rose insert. Both of them are also used and cracked.

At first I was very happy when I was told that I would get new grips but receiving someone else’s crap that they did not want is very displeasing.

So now what? I can't believe that I have to call back and complain about free grips that were sent to me. Any suggestions?

Here is the pics just incase anyone wanted to see them. I am thinking these might make a good karma give away.

grip2.jpg

grip1.jpg

Pretty fugly with the insert. Without the insert they wouldn't look too bad.

On a related note, I do have a really beat set of j frame grips if you want them. Not sure what they are called but they are not the skinny banana type or combats with the finger grooves. They do cover the front strap and the bottom I think but the backstrap is exposed. I'll try to get a photo later.

Last edited:
i would call and tell them what they sent you is not right and you would like the correct ones to replace the defective pair you have.
maybe you received someone else's order.i know thats a long shot but it happens.

Okay, I contacted a friend of mine who happens to work for S&W and the matter is all set. I should get new grips this week. I should have just called him in the first place. But now you lucky NES members should start looking for a Karma Give away for those great grips pictured above.

Back
Top Bottom