• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10/22 Stock options, firing from a sling, How much is too much? ....

I'm sitting here using the rifle in my living room and I had a thought. Im doing this wrong, well not wrong, just differently. So yesterday at the range, last night, and this morning I've using the hasty sling method, and honestly, I wasn't comfortable at all. I do not like it, and I'm getting more and more frustrated with it.

What I do know is that with the other rifle I was very comfortable, and the last time I slung it was last year at the Appleseed in Oct/Nov. I started thinking back to that day and I'm pretty sure, we were loop-slinging it all day. So I just slung it up in a loop and it was way more comfortable and stable. No movement on the sling at all. Much more stable. I was probably just having a brain fart. I know hasty is completely an acceptable and successful style of using the sling. But the loop style is so much better. I'll get back to the range and see if my groups tighten up, and I'm more relaxed.

Damn, I already ordered the Titan stock. Should have been more patient.
I still have not played with my titan stock and sling set up yet!
Hasty sling is just that hasty. Maybe on the fly it can be used but when you have time to go prone set up and try to shoot the best you can.
Shooting glove will give you some added support and minimize some pulsing through your hand arm to the rifle. Same concept of the shooting jacket:

Quick refresh on web sling use, can be applied to any rifle as long as the sling is long enough

View: https://youtu.be/KRPfj-6bRZM

Last edited:
I just ordered a Victor Titan to try that out. See how it feels. I run a Magpul Hunter on my other 10/22 and what you say I feel with that. It locks in and there's no movement on my sling. Feels tight with solid support. If after shooting the Titan I'm still not comfortable, I'm just going to go back to the Hunter X cause I feel the ergonomics on that are solid for my needs.

I practiced with it after my son went to bed last night. My wife was amused as I was attempting to find a proper feel for the setup. The prone position is the worst, honestly, the grip just keeps digging into my support arm as I bring my arm underneath the rifle.

I'm using USGI slings. I started out using the Magpul RSL and found out fast that while it works, its not as good as the cotton webbing on the USGI.

No, I'm not using a shooting glove. I've seen one person using them at the events, but I've never looked into them personally. Not sure what they offer.

What's special about those match sights, beyond them being 75 years old? Got a picture?
Here bottom rifle
10/22 kidd barrel titan stock and red field match sights. I have a M1 garand M105 rear sight set up as well
BE4899F2-C626-4358-B937-F9053E7966B9.jpeg

I still have not played with my titan stock and sling set up yet!
Hasty sling is just that hasty. Maybe on the fly it can be used but when you have time to go prone set up and try to shoot the best you can.
Shooting glove will give you some added support and minimize some pulsing through your hand arm to the rifle. Same concept of the shooting jacket:

Quick refresh on web sling use, can be applied to any rifle as long as the sling is long enough

View: https://youtu.be/KRPfj-6bRZM

I got the titan in and swapped it out. First impression is really high. I'l took it out to the range yesterday, lots of wind, but I managed some decent groups. Length of pull was spot on for me, and screwing in the check riser was simple. I still don't like that I'm screwing into plastic. I would have preferred some screw inserts for the riser. Everything was offhand or on a test without a sling. I had to order some new sling hardware cause everything I currently have is for quick disconnects.

I'm going to keep the Titan for my 10/22 setup and I'm selling the Oryx chassis. Not sure it's going to sell, but if it sells cool if not I'll just use it on another build in the future. Win/win

I got the titan in and swapped it out. First impression is really high. I'l took it out to the range yesterday, lots of wind, but I managed some decent groups. Length of pull was spot on for me, and screwing in the check riser was simple. I still don't like that I'm screwing into plastic. I would have preferred some screw inserts for the riser. Everything was offhand or on a test without a sling. I had to order some new sling hardware cause everything I currently have is for quick disconnects.

I'm going to keep the Titan for my 10/22 setup and I'm selling the Oryx chassis. Not sure it's going to sell, but if it sells cool if not I'll just use it on another build in the future. Win/win

It's not difficult to add your own inserts, just need to be certain to get the drill size correct. Check out these:

Can be ordered via the usual supply house suspects.

It's not difficult to add your own inserts, just need to be certain to get the drill size correct. Check out these:

Can be ordered via the usual supply house suspects.
I've done it before working with wood projects, so I was thinking of doing just that. But I'll hold it off as a future project. I need to redo my drill press setup, as nothing is level.

i really hate that sling on a biceps thing. i never saw it to do any better for me than a usual sliding tensioned sling. cannot find a video for an AR but it is a same exact thing.
how is it worse or different from that wrapped on a biceps thing?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP5dUz1hsaw&t=290s

Well Using the GI loop style sling will take time to set up and is not “combat” practical unless your in a bunker holding position.
That sling in the video looks like it stretches alot.
What where talking about is maximum support trying to hit the X ring vs Combat?

I can almost be certain if you where to sling up correctly prone ir sitting with the GI web sling or leather 1907 service rifle sling and got a good solid position your groups will be better than that over the shoulder hasty style technique.

View: https://youtu.be/V80JyfZ4gBQ

Last edited:
Well today I got the 10/22 titan out with the
T105 Garand sight mod and M1907 sling. I need a much higher front sight to get it closer to point of aim 100 yards and in
My group was the upper group in the 8 and 9 ring with some random ammo off the shelf. I had to hold at the bottom of the larger SR target paper.
The lower groups where from my daughter first time with this set up. She was holding 6 oclock on the lower SR repair centers
Shifting winds and changing light did not help any.
Scope or match sights next time out
9AF46B4C-AA0C-4876-A41E-A32DC0A4810C.jpeg 14EB9F3A-E91D-485D-9FE9-7C6CECED7087.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom