Collector gun for home defense.

I've assigned a Chinese broomhandle to home defense duty. I was using a S&W 38 revolver, which I sold. My reasoning is that I can view the collector gun more often when It's sitting on the night table in my bedroom. That and I could never bond with the S&W, have no reason why as the gun was in perfect condition.

But the broomhandle is a joy to look at and with a 20 round mag is more potent that a 5 round revolver.

Dave

Make sure it reliably feeds and functions. Do they even make defensive loads for that? I'm sure it can't handle modern full powered loads.

I've assigned a Chinese broomhandle to home defense duty....

Dave,

I'm not sure that I would trust one hundred year old springs in a critical application.
A factory refurbed Glock or Sig might be cheap insurance, and no great loss if you use it and it gets confiscated.

Jack

The big issue for me is that if you end up using it for home defense you will lose it for awhile AT BEST.
I would likly use my CZ52 in a pince, (just over 100.00) but I would be more likly to just use a shotgun.

Broomhandle fires 9 mm...

Make sure it reliably feeds and functions. Do they even make defensive loads for that? I'm sure it can't handle modern full powered loads.

It fires regular 9 mm rounds. Before it was imported back in the 80's, it was an automatic (burp gun), then changed to a 9 mm semi auto so it could be sold in US. Top is regular German Mauser and the bottom fabricated either in China or US.

Dave

One concern....

The big issue for me is that if you end up using it for home defense you will lose it for awhile AT BEST.
I would likly use my CZ52 in a pince, (just over 100.00) but I would be more likly to just use a shotgun.

Your right, that is a concern. As far as a shotgun, I just can't bond to shotguns, don't know why, just don't like the looks of them.

Dave

Regrettably, your storied old gun sounds like a recipe for a self-defense disaster. Old gun, with old parts, and a cobbled-together slide and frame.

I'd agree you'd be better off with a gunny, battle and cop-tested Glock, Sig or perhaps a S&W 1911 or some similar fine defensive gun.

Chinese broomhandle age...

Dave,

I'm not sure that I would trust one hundred year old springs in a critical application.
A factory refurbed Glock or Sig might be cheap insurance, and no great loss if you use it and it gets confiscated.

Jack

Your right if the broomhandle was a standard Mauser C96, which are very old weapons. But the Chinese versions were refurbished with many new pieces including barrel insert to bring it to 9 mm. Basically, the gun looks brand new and when I bought it was never fired in it's new configuration. They went for $485 back in the 80's, and I paid $1100 six months ago. Gun is built strong, even the magazines are heavy and well built.

Dave

In that incident here in New Bedford a few years back where Charles Chieppa shot someone breaking into his house/garage and killed the man, he used an old Walther P38.
Now the Chinese broom handle sounds like a neat old gun, but I'd rather have something battle proven like mentioned in earlier posts, even if its an old P38.

P38

In that incident here in New Bedford a few years back where Charles Chieppa shot someone breaking into his house/garage and killed the man, he used an old Walther P38.
Now the Chinese broom handle sounds like a neat old gun, but I'd rather have something battle proven like mentioned in earlier posts, even if its an old P38.

I owned a Walther P38, it is a great defense gun, easy to use, easy to chamber a round and looks awesome.

Dave

Most important rule is to make sure it is reliable and that you can handle and shoot it accurately in a tense situation. The fact that it is hard to chamber a round is not good because your fine motor skills get worse, not better, when you're in that kind of a situaton. Either leave one in the pipe (considering its age, manufacture, and action, maybe not the best choice) or get a better defensive handgun.

However, if you choose to keep this as your HD gun, practice, practice, practice.

Your right!

Most important rule is to make sure it is reliable and that you can handle and shoot it accurately in a tense situation. The fact that it is hard to chamber a round is not good because your fine motor skills get worse, not better, when you're in that kind of a situaton. Either leave one in the pipe (considering its age, manufacture, and action, maybe not the best choice) or get a better defensive handgun.

However, if you choose to keep this as your HD gun, practice, practice, practice.

I won't leave a round in the chamber, even with the safety on. So I guess it's back to a revolver, where you can leave the gun on an empty chamber and instantly have it ready for action when needed. Only trouble is all my revolvers (now) are 22 cal. Although, I'm still going to have the broomhandle waiting with a loaded mag.

Dave

If my S&W 520 or 638 is my HD gun at the time, they go in with full cylinders. My 1911 and M&P are loaded but not chambered when I use them, and any long arms are unloaded with multiple loaded magazines available.

Sounds like a plan...

If my S&W 520 or 638 is my HD gun at the time, they go in with full cylinders. My 1911 and M&P are loaded but not chambered when I use them, and any long arms are unloaded with multiple loaded magazines available.

Having a weapon on duty allows me relax. I spend many late nights at the club, which is secluded, and having a loaded gun next to me makes all the difference in the world. Many people who live around here own guns, maybe that's why crime in this area is low.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom