Coke-Machine Gun Safe

MarkT

NES Member
I'm in the market for a couple new rifles and I need more capacity than my current cabinet holds. I saw a YouTube video where a guy converted a soda machine into a gun safe and always wanted to make one.

I finally found a cheap Coke machine on Craigslist last week so I made it my weekend project.

I'm thrilled with how it came out and thought I'd share. I've included the plans I drew up in case anyone else wants to give this a go. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or need any help.

Cost breakdown:

Coke machine: $50
(2) 4x8 plywood: $60
40" x 3" PVC pipe: $14
(2) Spray Adhesive: $20
3' x 15' Speaker carpet: $30
Electrical (cord, box, switch): $10

Total cost: $184

Let me know what you think.

Mark T

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. How confident are you in the locking mechanism?

Whatever it is, it has to be more secure than this...

xytYjAt.jpg

Wait... I'm confused... where do you put the coke? What's the point of having a coke machine without coke?

Cool safe though

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Very cool job!

I am concerned that you don't have any fireproofing at all, though. Needs 1.5" of gypsum board all the way around, with sealed joints (including the door).

Vending machine locks are always high quality pick resistant locks of the day. The problem is if you go too far back, you will find something like an ACE 137 lock - easily picked with an HPC TLP-C model B; Pickmasters unit; or even a bic pen. If it has a Medco or Abloy disc lock, the mechanism is pretty good.

Fire protection is not as important as theft protection. Homeowners insurance generally covers firearms lost by fire as part of "general contents" coverage, with the specific limit on dollar amount for firearms applying to loss by theft, loss or mysterious disappearance.

I like it! You could go a further with fireproofing but that would be my only nitpick. We could split hairs over the lock mechanism but most residential theifs aren't spending their time stealing sodas or the change that would be in a homeowner soda machine. Good deal on the initial buy as well.

Back
Top Bottom