CMP SPECIAL M1D sniper, anyone?

mac1911

NES Member
Anyone get one of these or at least hands and eyes on one. Looking at a clone build for a,M1 receiver I have its getting more expensive than cmps offering.
I also would not want to spend money on original M1d barrel and other parts to build a clone.

CMP M1 Special
M1D Garand Service Grade Springfield. Reparked SA receiver with new 1952-1953 dated M1D barrel. Reparked parts. New Walnut stock/handguards. Reproduction HI-LUX optics M82 scope and reproduction M82 mount.

Last edited:
Damn those are cool. Forgot about the sniper garand models. Pricy though (for me anyway).

Had a 97 cmp lottery m1d (had 2 c's and 2 d's in my prime of collecting). Came with all accessories new in packages. Another I regret selling. Wasnot much a fan shooting them due to off side scopes. Kinda awkward

I was thinking of putting one together using one of the CMP field grade M1Ds they have in stock along with an authentic M84 I found in a LGS that is like new. Then I came upon an Israeli return with paperwork (stored in the butt trap) and all accessories in gorgeous condition for the right price which I should get Tuesday, can't wait!

I was thinking of putting one together using one of the CMP field grade M1Ds they have in stock along with an authentic M84 I found in a LGS that is like new. Then I came upon an Israeli return with paperwork (stored in the butt trap) and all accessories in gorgeous condition for the right price which I should get Tuesday, can't wait!

Nice. You find that on gunbroker?

Updated first post.

I'm talking about the M1D that cmp put together with surplus receivers and original M1 D barrels.

M1D Garand Service Grade Springfield. Reparked SA receiver with new 1952-1953 dated M1D barrel. Reparked parts. New Walnut stock/handguards. Reproduction HI-LUX optics M82 scope and reproduction M82 mount.

For a shooting rifle the cmp offerings is not a bad deal. Again I'm not looking at collector value of any kind. Like the Rock Ridge Machine 1903A4 clone I bought. I bought it to shoot and a "representation" of what was used.

Looking into building a M1 D clone with original parts is just out of the question....

The cmp originals they have are expensive....you you found M84 for a good deal then maybe it's not a bad way to go. Finding a documented complete rifle for the right price (like to know what the right price is) is hard to do. Again I'm looking for a shooter not a collector.

I do have a SA M2 flash hinder with paper package (open) most likely sell that to offset the price of another purchase.

I shoot everything I own so its not going to be a safe queen. Originals were meant to be shot and that's what I do with them!

I looked at them and figured 2 grand for the CMP special and I can spend about the same on a field grade original + scope + mount and be at about 2K as well but with an original.

I shoot everything I own so its not going to be a safe queen. Originals were meant to be shot and that's what I do with them!

I looked at them and figured 2 grand for the CMP special and I can spend about the same on a field grade original + scope + mount and be at about 2K as well but with an original.

I'm with you on that...although I'm not having much luck finding any deals on original M1d mount or scope....

The M1D field grade is $1235 then add usgi mount and M82/M84 scope ? Barrel will have a muzzle wear of 3 or more. Not the best for a good platform for good shooting?

So my thought is a special is a refinished rifle with a new old stock usgi M1d barrel. I can fit the new wood stock for best accuracy.....then pray the repro cmp mount and scope are good.
I
Not looking for much be happy with 4 moa with HXP....?

Back
Top Bottom