• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Garand question

stinx

NES Member
I currently have a Garand enroute to me. How will the new ban on assault weapons effect this?

It appears Garand's are now banned because it shares many features with the m14.

IANAL, tho I do not think even the lawyers know right now.

And what parts are interchangeable with the M14? Mags maybe? Sling maybe. IMHO, there is no way Garands would be affected. Not to mention it would make most VFWs have to dump them.

And what parts are interchangeable with the M14? Mags maybe? Sling maybe. IMHO, there is no way Garands would be affected. Not to mention it would make most VFWs have to dump them.

They share the same operating system. The AG said that was not kosher.

its nonsense. Your garand is unaffected since its made before the 1994 AWB which the current law referenceses.

Not to mention there are no mags in a garand, it uses a clip. The only thing that's really interchangable (aside from the sling and cleaning kit) would be the sights and maybe some trigger group components (safety, hammer). The trigger group, bolt, op rod, barrel, etc are all different. I own both.

Remember you do have to file an eFA-10 when you receive it though. And if you have a C&R, you have to enter it in your book.

Last edited:
its nonsense. Your garand is unaffected since its made before the 1994 AWB which the current law referenceses.

Not to mention there are no mags in a garand, it uses a clip. The only thing that's really interchangable (aside from the sling and cleaning kit) would be the sights. The trigger group, bolt, op rod, barrel, etc are all different. I own both.
Nice, someone responding to a question that knows what they're talking about, instead of shooting from the hip and spreading misinformation, (My reference to the mags was sarcasm) I own a garand, and you can too...for $1400.[grin]

Nice, someone responding to a question that knows what they're talking about, instead of shooting from the hip and spreading misinformation, (My reference to the mags was sarcasm) I own a garand, and you can too...for $1400.[grin]

I was wondering if that was a joke or not lol

Good luck with that certainty.

"If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal."

"If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal."

Again, what components are "interchangeable"? So if a 03a3 barrel can be modified to work on an assault rifle...o3a3's are banned????

Again, what components are "interchangeable"? So if a 03a3 barrel can be modified to work on an assault rifle...o3a3's are banned????

""If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon"

The Garands operating system is quite similar to the m14. Good luck with that "essentially the same clause" when the AG gets to define what "essentially the same" is.

There are basically 3 qualifiers now...

1) Semi-Automatic
2) Detachable Magazine
3) Action or trigger mechanism "essentially similar" to that of one of the Enumerated guns.

Under this standard, the Garand is not impacted even if it was newly manufactured due to its internal magazine. But it should be noted that the trigger in a Garand is essentially the same as that in an AR. You can find all kinds of actions that pattern themselves on prior art. Isn't the blow-back action of a Ruger 10/22 essentially the same as that of the Tec-9? It is all in how you want to look at it.

One should note that the last line in the AG's statement was that they can alter the criteria whenever they want.

Imagine if they decide that "Detachable Magazine" isn't a requirement anymore.

And just how do they define "detachable magazine" now? Would a tubular mag designed to be swapped between a 3-round hunting and a larger capacity version qualify? Would anything that could accept an extender? If so, all the Fudds need to take notice as their Remington 1100's might be just as illegal.

This is the slippery slope that was exposed here. Simply redefine your terms and suddenly what was legal is a felony in waiting.

Again people need to fuKKing READ the laws instead of jumping to idiotic conclusions as we're seeing here. Both of these statements below cover the Garand.

Here's the website for reference, READ IT! http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html (under the Questions & Answers tab)

• There are many rifles on the market that are not semiautomatic or which don’t take a detachable magazine. These are not Assault weapons under Massachusetts law.
  • Under Massachusetts law, any weapons listed in Appendix A to 18 U.S.C. § 922, as appearing on September 13, 1994, are not considered Assault weapons and are not covered by the Enforcement Notice.

Last edited:
Because it is pre 94, yes its good. But again.

1. Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.

1. Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.

Let it go. Garands are not affected, why try to get the OP in a tizzy with misinformation????

Stop. No need to make it confusing for people who are new/already confused.
Leave out the unnecessary information that doesn't pertain here.
It's pre-AWB, it's good. End of story.

Last edited:
Just to mix it up, M1-carbines are also common and of that same era. There are also all the mini-14's. Would they be caught in limbo?

You people are ridiculous. The M14 is a copy of the Garand, NOT the other way around. The Rifle, Cal. 30, M1 was adopted in 1936. It was modified and adopted as the M14 in 1959.

IT CAN'T BE A COPY OF SOMETHING THAT CAME 23 YEARS LATER.

Sorry dude but something made 35 years before the AR15 and AK47 were invented cannot be a copy of either one of them.

Sorry dude but something made 35 years before the AR15 and AK47 were invented cannot be a copy of either one of them.
I am with you, I just would not anticipate the ag being with you. Preban? Your good. Post ban? We may all be felons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Great cause it just showed up this afternoon. ����
Take possession of your Garand. Clean it, shoot it, register it as required by Ma law and enjoy it.
To many many other things for the AG to clarify write now other than worrying about a 70 + year old M1 Garand from the CMP
Just my 2 cents and you have abided by the current law...... Seemingly subject to change though??

David

Ok, I've got a fun one, my C&R comes up for renewal on August 1st, I was getting it ready to send in when all this @#$% hit. Question #3 on the renewal:

"Will the requirements of State and local law that are applicable to the firearms or ammunition activity or collection of curious or relics, be met prior to the start of the business or collection activity?"

Holy crap there are a whole bunch of issues there. I started activity in 2013, when i THOUGHT it was legal. Now I'm not sure. I've got an M1 Garand an a really, really back Chinese SKS on my C&R.

Back
Top Bottom