Clubs where you can shoot a .50?

Reading thru some threads on .50BMG rifles and it got me thinking - what clubs allow this caliber? I don't recall seeing it banned at any clubs specifically - but I may just not have been paying attention because I don't have one.

Is there any general rules that the majority of clubs go by when shooting the larger calibers ( stuff over .30 ?)

Best to ask... You need some big berms as some of the smaller berms are built for pistol and light rifle and aren't meant to take a beating. Any club with a steel backstop isn't going to allow .50.

There is no "general rule" as there is no "general club." Different clubs have different physical limitations. Check the range rules, and if it isn't addressed then ask.

There is a group of shooters that shoot .50 caliber rifles at Harvard. It's a chance to see rifles from many makers and to ask what ammo they shoot and why. That's not possible at most gunshops.

I can tell you that finding a club to do that here in Ohio is pretty difficult. None that I have belonged to or competed in do. Maybe in the SE part of the state where it is very hilly you might find a place.

Hopkinton Sportsman's Association allows .50. Shoot mine there all the time. On the other hand my Dad's club, Sturbridge Rod & Gun Club, does not allow .50s in the rules. While they don't allow it in the rules, I see members shooting them there all the time. Sometimes I think the rules were written a long time ago, are out of date and nobody enforces them.

Back
Top Bottom