Club License?

A diffrent post mentioned that it is illegal to use human silloutte targets at ranges that hold a Class A Club License. What exactly is a club license? and how do I know if a club has one?

A club license is so the club can own firearms as club guns under its own name. The officers should know whether they have the license or not. Most private "gun clubs" don't but I'd imagine that ranges that rent out firearms might.

Actually, you don't need to know whether a club has a club license.

The restriction against shooting silhouette targets is as follows:
Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.
I see nothing in the law that would penalize the shooter for violating this section. The club might face sanctions from the issuing authority.

Check with your club to see if they allow human silhouette targets and follow their range rules. That's all you need to know.

Last I knew there was ONE "club license" in MA.

There are absolutely NO ADVANTAGES to having one.

It allows the AG's goons to come into said facility at any time and do an inventory check, etc.

The way that the statute is written, most private gun clubs do not qualify for a "club license".

The Worcester chief's issue with "violating terms of license by letting people shoot silhouette targets" would only be legally true (MGL, not what idiotic terms that the chief may have imposed on their license to operate) if that range had a "club license".

Q for you all now the paper says that Worc. is looking at approving a ordiance to not let unlic. people fire guns. How does the Police Dept. train there officers who are un lic.? Cross-X How do we teach Basic Pistol in Worcester? Wait a minute...one of Worc. finest teaches a class at BGR. And He has the students shoot!?!? How is he going to continue to teach that course? ( just a few thoughts and Q's)

Q for you all now the paper says that Worc. is looking at approving a ordiance to not let unlic. people fire guns.

That would be the perfect Catch-22 now, wouldn't it? You can't fire a gun until you have a license, and you can't get a license until you've had experience firing a gun. I'm surprised somebody hasn't tried it before now.

The advantage of a club having a license is the ability of the club to own and store firearms. This is helpful when providing training- it relieves the burden of an individual to own/store the firearms for a class. One of the clubs I belong to has a club license now.

The advantage of a club having a license is the ability of the club to own and store firearms. This is helpful when providing training- it relieves the burden of an individual to own/store the firearms for a class. One of the clubs I belong to has a club license now.

Question is, does MGLs even prohibit doing that -without- a said
license? EG, if the individuals storing and retrieving the guns are all
licensed, I don't see why there is any kind of a special
requirement. Maybe I'm missing something there... I know in
some cases Clubs may have a Type 01 FFL, for various reasons, but that's
a whole other tangent.

-Mike

I know MANY clubs that store club (and/or CMP) guns on the property (in safes). And they do it without a "club license"! Some one person with a LTC is legally responsible for the guns however.

Seems like a (bad) solution in search of a problem.

Question is, does MGLs even prohibit doing that -without- a said
license? EG, if the individuals storing and retrieving the guns are all
licensed, I don't see why there is any kind of a special
requirement. Maybe I'm missing something there... I know in
some cases Clubs may have a Type 01 FFL, for various reasons, but that's
a whole other tangent.

-Mike

Mike- I'm no expert, nor did I question the sr. instructors on this. However, it was presented to me that since the club has a license- the club actually owns the firearms. Previously one of the instructors had the guns in his name and was responsible for them... and didn't want to leave them at the club.

Mike- I'm no expert, nor did I question the sr. instructors on this. However, it was presented to me that since the club has a license- the club actually owns the firearms. Previously one of the instructors had the guns in his name and was responsible for them... and didn't want to leave them at the club.

Which leads me to a question I've been dying to ask....

Is it possible for some collective entity to own firearms? I know it is
possible with NFA items, but not so sure about Title I, etc... and in MA, is
it possible for an "entity" to register firearms as a representative of that
entity, and not as an individual? Interesting food for thought... this question touches both the Federal and State part of the equation....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom