Machine gun license oddity

CrackPot

NES Member
I was reading MGL 140 131F on temporary license (aka non resident LTC) and noticed the following language at the end

"A license, otherwise in accordance with provisions of this section, may be issued to a nonresident employee, whose application is endorsed by his employer, of a federally licensed Massachusetts manufacturer of machine guns to possess within the commonwealth a machine gun for the purpose of transporting or testing relative to the manufacture of machine guns, and the license shall be marked ''temporary license to possess a machine gun'' and may be issued for any term not to exceed two years and shall expire in accordance with the provisions of section one hundred and thirty-one."

This is very interesting. If I am my own employer and move to NH I can still get a machine gun license in MA. It is also interesting in that it allows one to get a machine gun license because of being a manufacturer of machine guns. This is not true for a resident but is for a non-resident.

MGL 140 131 says "(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to:

(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;

(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license."

So if you are a resident you can get a machine gun license from the town in which you reside if you are a bona fide collector. If you are a 07/SOT that is not a reason. But if you are a non-resident, your employer who is a 07/SOT can give you a letter and you can get a non-resident machine gun license.

Bizzare

The whole mass machine gun license thing is a little bizarre. When I lived there for a short time I still had my farm in PA, I wanted to bring a machine gun with me to mass. I asked the chief if he would issue me a machine gun license and he said I had to be a collector. I said, well, I own four now, I just want to be legal here. The chief looked at me and said, if you own four now you are a collector, I'll approve it. He turned out to be a good dude, I only lived in the house for a couple years but I kept it for almost 15 years before I sold it. He issued me my LTC and Green card three more times even though he knew I no longer lived in the house or had an MA license,

Last edited:
"Collector" means nothing. Some PDs want you to have the 03FFL just because it has the word "Collector" in the title. Makes it a bit easier to obtain old MGs, but that's about it. It's all just another way to make things difficult. I've had the 03 for about 35 years and no one, even ATF has shiven a git about it till one of the examiners saw it in my safe. They should just stamp your LTC "Valid for MGs also" like MC on your DL. Jack.

Is there something implied with "collector" that makes one more responsible than your average LTC holder in order to get a machine gun endorsement in the eyes of MA?

Is there something implied with "collector" that makes one more responsible than your average LTC holder in order to get a machine gun endorsement in the eyes of MA?

03 “Collectors” are apparently more civilized, unlike the rest of you heathens… 😉

Who knows? When I first asked for the Green card, they just typed it up and gave it to me at the PD and sent a copy to the state to "inform" them. No talk about a LTC or 03FFL altho I had both. Jack.

I was reading MGL 140 131F on temporary license (aka non resident LTC) and noticed the following language at the end

"A license, otherwise in accordance with provisions of this section, may be issued to a nonresident employee, whose application is endorsed by his employer, of a federally licensed Massachusetts manufacturer of machine guns to possess within the commonwealth a machine gun for the purpose of transporting or testing relative to the manufacture of machine guns, and the license shall be marked ''temporary license to possess a machine gun'' and may be issued for any term not to exceed two years and shall expire in accordance with the provisions of section one hundred and thirty-one."

This is very interesting. If I am my own employer and move to NH I can still get a machine gun license in MA. It is also interesting in that it allows one to get a machine gun license because of being a manufacturer of machine guns. This is not true for a resident but is for a non-resident.

MGL 140 131 says "(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to:

(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;

(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license."

So if you are a resident you can get a machine gun license from the town in which you reside if you are a bona fide collector. If you are a 07/SOT that is not a reason. But if you are a non-resident, your employer who is a 07/SOT can give you a letter and you can get a non-resident machine gun license.

Bizzare
I would assume you'd need to keep the manufacturing business in MA.

I think the intention is that the ATF has vetted the applicant, making it likely the ATF would approve paperwork for NFA items, before the local licensing authority hands out a MG license for the state's approval of possession of NFA items. A lawsuit adverse licensing authority may want to see the ATF say someone is legit before they say "this person is legit" so that if anything happens with a NFA item, "well the ATF (Feds) gave them a collector's license/FFL so how was I supposed to know?".

"Collector" means nothing. Some PDs want you to have the 03FFL just because it has the word "Collector" in the title. Makes it a bit easier to obtain old MGs, but that's about it. It's all just another way to make things difficult. I've had the 03 for about 35 years and no one, even ATF has shiven a git about it till one of the examiners saw it in my safe. They should just stamp your LTC "Valid for MGs also" like MC on your DL. Jack.
I'm with you Jack. I already have the MC endorsement on my DL, why not an LTC and MG endorsement?

That would be TWO less cards in my wallet! [wink]

I think the intention is that the ATF has vetted the applicant, making it likely the ATF would approve paperwork for NFA items, before the local licensing authority hands out a MG license for the state's approval of possession of NFA items. A lawsuit adverse licensing authority may want to see the ATF say someone is legit before they say "this person is legit" so that if anything happens with a NFA item, "well the ATF (Feds) gave them a collector's license/FFL so how was I supposed to know?".
This is Mass logic though. In every other state you can buy a machine gun with a government ID and $200 bucks.

Blue Hill Ave at 2am behind the former Oriental Theater that's now the electric supply place? Bring the cash brown bagged in $5 bills, a pineapple pizza, and a bottle of slightly chilled kiwi Snapple...
No way I'd do something that terrible. Pineapple does not belong on a pizza. Deals off you barbarian.

Yup, when I asked the chief in my town about issuing me a machine gun license he said he had no problem because I have my 03, otherwise he wouldn’t have approved it

Any 07/02’s willing to adopt a non resident FFL as an employee for a dollar a year? 😅

I moved my FFL/SOT down to FL last September.

I have a post sample STG, G17, a transferable sten and Reising. But they all have to sit in the safe in FL for the summers as I’m usually up in RI.

The following are probably stupid questions, since I don't yet have a FFL:

If you're in RI, why are you asking this in a MA thread? Isn't there a process for informing the feds that you're bringing stuff to other states? Can't you just file that form every year?

[Edit - adding back a missed word...typing on phones is the worst]

Last edited:
The following are probably stupid questions, since I don't yet have a FFL:

If you're in RI, why are you asking this in a MA thread? Isn't there a process for informing the feds that you're bringing stuff to other states? Can't you just file that form every?
you have to comply with both state and fed law. Fed says you can buy a suppressor in MA, but MA says no way, so you can't. Same idea.

when i got mine several years ago, collector meant i needed a curio and relic ffl. get that, get the license. so i did and i did!

My problem is there is no provision for a non-resident MG license, unless you work for a MA MG manufacturer.

This could be an amendment to the GOAL bill, I mean they might as well since they will shoot it down anyway.

03 “Collectors” are apparently more civilized, unlike the rest of you heathens… 😉
So if I own no MGs currently I am not a collector and can’t get a license. That implies that my first purchase needs to be of multiple MGs then I will be a collector. Do I state that on my application? “I plan on buying multiple MGs so you have less to worry about”? [rofl]

you have to comply with both state and fed law. Fed says you can buy a suppressor in MA, but MA says no way, so you can't. Same idea.
This time, I got bitten by the "jump to new" feature. I assumed today's first post was the OP. Reading the rest of the thread makes more sense. Thanks for pointing me on the right path!

So if I own no MGs currently I am not a collector and can’t get a license. That implies that my first purchase needs to be of multiple MGs then I will be a collector. Do I state that on my application? “I plan on buying multiple MGs so you have less to worry about”? [rofl]
It doesn't say a collector of what. an 03 is a firearms collector but the argument could be made that you are a Beanie Baby collector and that qualifies.

Back
Top Bottom