• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Close call coming back from the range

Heading back from the range a deer was trying to cross three lanes of highway and ran straight in front of me into the fender of the car about four car lengths in front of me in the center lane, it fliped off the car taking the mirror with it and got up and continued on, guy was lucky it did not go into the windshield and he only got a minor dent on the fender and a broken side mirror

Drive safe [thinking]

Last edited:
We have a ridiculous number of dear around my house. They are hit on the road I live on quite regularly. One night we heard a close gunshot, turns out it was the police "taking care" of a dear that had been hit in front of our house. And the dear tick population is ridiculous! It seems to me that with the commonality of deer strikes and lime disease that we aren't thinning the herd enough. How about introducing a rifle season?

This happed just as i passed the 93 weigh station going south, nothing too serious just a bad day for that guy

And yet, living on enough land to hunt....I've never seen any of the damn things in my backyard, and I got skunked last year in what had been a promising spot.

atmay:2435706 said:
And yet, living on enough land to hunt....I've never seen any of the damn things in my backyard, and I got skunked last year in what had been a promising spot.

Did you try using your car?

We have a ridiculous number of dear around my house. They are hit on the road I live on quite regularly. One night we heard a close gunshot, turns out it was the police "taking care" of a dear that had been hit in front of our house. And the dear tick population is ridiculous! It seems to me that with the commonality of deer strikes and lime disease that we aren't thinning the herd enough. How about introducing a rifle season?

And let people shoot "fully automatic assault rifles" near our children!?!?! Won't someone think of the children??? [rolleyes]

Like what gearjunky13 said, as spoken through Ron White...

Ron White said:
If you ever miss one, it's because the bullet's moving too fast. Slow the bullet down to 55 miles an hour, put some headlights and a little horn on it - the deer will actually jump in front of the bullet.

I actually hit one once. On route 2, in LEXINGTON! many years back. I remember seeing it standing on the edge of the highway, and I was thinking, "That f'in deer better..." then WHAM! Ill tell you, at 60+mph, the airbag went off, could not see a thing, no power steering, no power breaks (the engine cut off)...how I did not hit anyone else, I have no idea, but a couple people stopped to check on me and told me the deer went up over my roof, then ran off! Scary.

MsHappy played bumper tag with Bambi last November. Totalled a 1-year old car (no human injuries). Deer ran off to feed the 'yotes.

I went to the rental place, and brought home a rental, that MsHappy took on a spin around the neighborhood....and while doing this, a dear trotted across the road in front of her....

Yes, they're out to get her.

smoothice said:
I actually hit one once. On route 2, in LEXINGTON! many years back. I remember seeing it standing on the edge of the highway, and I was thinking, "That f'in deer better..." then WHAM! Ill tell you, at 60+mph, the airbag went off, could not see a thing, no power steering, no power breaks (the engine cut off)...how I did not hit anyone else, I have no idea, but a couple people stopped to check on me and told me the deer went up over my roof, then ran off! Scary.

Yikes! I hit one once as well, though I was going about half that speed. It slid up the hood, glanced off the windshield and got up and ran off. I pulled over to check for damage and didn't see any but saw the reflection of liquid all over the hood (it was at night.) I wiped it with my hand thinking it was blood and held my hand up to the headlight to see what it was. It wasn't blood so I figured it was water or something, got back in the car and a few minutes later was gagging at a horrid smell in the car.

That's right, it was deer urine all over the hood and now it was on my hand, the side of my pants, the steering wheel and the shifter.

That was a fun learning experience.

but saw the reflection of liquid all over the hood (it was at night.) I wiped it with my hand thinking it was blood and held my hand up to the headlight to see what it was. It wasn't blood so I figured it was water or something, got back in the car and a few minutes later was gagging at a horrid smell in the car.

That's right, it was deer urine all over the hood and now it was on my hand, the side of my pants, the steering wheel and the shifter.
[rofl2]

I remember a friend of mine hit a deer on the Blue Ridge Parkway on his way up to Rhinebeck for the BMW MOA rally, and I remember laughing hysterically at how indignant he was, not that the deer ran out in front of him, but that since he hit the deer in the rear, there was "deer poo" all over his bike!

MisterHappy:2435857 said:
MsHappy played bumper tag with Bambi last November. Totalled a 1-year old car (no human injuries). Deer ran off to feed the 'yotes.

I went to the rental place, and brought home a rental, that MsHappy took on a spin around the neighborhood....and while doing this, a dear trotted across the road in front of her....

Yes, they're out to get her.

Or you may have some suicidal deer around you, they preferred cars over guns,

I've seen 2 recently near the Woburn/Wilmington line on Rt 38. I had to stop cause they were walking in the road showing no fear. Could hear their hooves clomp on the pavement I was so close.

Back
Top Bottom