• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clerk with handgun turns tide on would-be robber

Knob Creek

NES Member
NEW BEDFORD — Police said Tyrone Lamb, 26, of New Bedford was armed with a knife when he tried to rob a clerk at a North End convenience store last weekend.

Big mistake.

Around 2:45 p.m. Saturday, Mr. Lamb allegedly walked into the Petro Mart at 171 Coggeshall St.

The suspect wore a gray sweatshirt with the hood pulled over his head. He asked for a pack of cigarettes but did not take out cash. He kept his hands in his pockets and skulked around the store.

The clerk, Antoine Khalife, knew something was going to happen.

"I had a bad feeling," said Mr. Khalife, a Petro Mart employee for seven years. "He was really suspicious."

The suspect walked to the counter and pulled a switchblade from his pocket. He held it to Mr. Khalife's face and demanded money, according to police reports.

Unfazed, the clerk stepped back from the counter.

"I was waiting for him," he said.

Instead of opening his register, Mr. Khalife drew a .40-caliber Sig Sauer handgun from a holster hidden in his coat. The tables had turned as the clerk ordered the man to drop his knife.

"I don't think he was expecting that," Mr. Khalife said. "His face lit up like a Christmas tree. His eyes were about three times their size."

The suspect backed off and said, "I'm sorry." He turned around and ran out of the store.

Mr. Khalife said he followed the suspect outside and yelled at the man as he entered his getaway car.

Meanwhile, a man scratching lottery tickets inside a nearby parked car looked outside his window and saw Mr. Khalife walking outside the store, holding a handgun, court records said.

Mr. Khalife saw the suspect leaving in a green Mercury Sable. He noted the vehicle's license plate number and called police. Later, he reflected on the suspect's brazenness.

"The thing that threw me off was that this happened in broad daylight," he said. "People were on the street and pumping their gas. But he didn't care."

Police tracked the suspect's license plate to a Roswell Street residence. Relatives there told police that Mr. Lamb drove the vehicle, according to police reports.

Police obtained an arrest warrant for Mr. Lamb after Mr. Khalife identified him from a photo array as the robbery suspect, court records said.

Mr. Khalife has a valid license to possess the handgun, police said.

"You can't confuse vigilance with vigilantism," New Bedford police spokesman Lt. Jeffrey P. Silva said.

"This was a lawful gun owner who, when confronted with deadly force, responded to save his life and, in the end, helped us to solve a crime."

Mr. Lamb turned himself in to police Sunday. He told detectives he did not rob the convenience store. He later asked police to explain the legal differences between attempted and actual armed robbery, and if he would serve more time in jail, court records said.

Mr. Lamb has a prior robbery conviction, police said. He was arraigned Monday on charges of armed assault with intent to rob, attempt to commit a crime and assault by a dangerous weapon.

He was held on $7,500 cash bail and ordered to return to court Dec. 22 for a probable cause hearing.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081125/NEWS/811250350

"You can't confuse vigilance with vigilantism," New Bedford police spokesman Lt. Jeffrey P. Silva said.

And this happened in Massachusetts?

We need to remember this line and repeat it loudly and often.

I agree with the others well done.

One thing about the story is confusing though... Are switchblade / automatic knives not illegal in Mass. How ever did one fall into the hands of a criminal? Someone should outlaw those things they can only be used to kill or cause harm.[rolleyes]

And this happened in a town that we have listed as Red? Sounds like that LT needs to have a chat with whichever colleague of his is in charge of licenses.

Great to hear of another citizen triumph over crime and excellent response from Lt. Silva.

A happy ending is great to hear.

below is what you usually expect to hear in MA.

NEW BEDFORD — Mr. Khalife said he followed the suspect outside and yelled at the man as he entered his getaway car.

Meanwhile, a man scratching lottery tickets inside a nearby parked car looked outside his window and saw Mr. Khalife walking outside the store, holding a handgun, court records said.

Mr. Khalife is now charged with brandishing a firearm in a public way.

I agree with the others well done.

One thing about the story is confusing though... Are switchblade / automatic knives not illegal in Mass. How ever did one fall into the hands of a criminal? Someone should outlaw those things they can only be used to kill or cause harm.[rolleyes]

The news is describing it as a switchblade but who knows. I'm sure the police will charge him under Chapter 269 Section 10 B (carrying per se dangerous weapn) if it was indeed a switchblade.

"This was a lawful gun owner who, when confronted with deadly force, responded to save his life and, in the end, helped us to solve a crime."

Well done Mr. Khalife and what a great comment from the NB police Lt. Wow...

+1 to the reporter for an unbiased report, too. Way to go Brian!

Clerk with handgun turns tide on would-be robber

By Brian Fraga
Standard-Times staff writer
November 25, 2008 6:00 AM

New Bedford can issue a LTC for Business Purposes and that's more of the norm. The clerk could have also been form any surrounding town. Dartmouth, Fairhaven, and Acushnet all issue LTC ALP only. New Bedford is a city not a town btw... Lt. Silva has been cleaning up quite nicely with Sam Sutter the DA. I have sung their praises before and they're doing a hell of a great job around here. This is great news considering I'm a NB Business owner and carry on the job. I hope the clerk delivered a message to these numbnuts....

I'm surprised he has a no restrictions LTC but he's a business owner , us lowly residents can only get restricted LTC's

I inquired about a unrestriced LTC and the officer told me they don't issue them unless they have a ' legitimate ' reason , such as handling large sums of cash , etc. he told me other than going to and from the range and protection in my home why else would I need one? lol debating moving to the next town where they issue no restrictions to qualified people who want them.

Good for the owner of the business .

Back
Top Bottom