• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

clear front site...

Looking for any effective techniques for working on the acquisition of a clear front sight post? I have a hard time getting a clear front sight,always clear rear sight or clear target. Does anyone have any drills or effective techniques to help this?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Find a good shooter-friendly eye doctor and ask him about shifting your hyper focal distance to the front sight of whatever you're shooting. There's some math involved in calculating the correction based on the distance from your eye to the front sight, but for me shooting an AR adding a half diopter to my normal prescription made a huge difference. The shorter the distance, the more correction and vice-versa. Of course it's a bit of a balancing act and it might take some trial and error to get it just right. If you have an astigmatism you might need to play with the correction for that as well.

Depending on what you're shooting there could be some other options as well, eye pal, microsights, etc.

Chris, It may be partly your eyes but it could also be your mind.

Do you have the ability to see the front sight clearly? If so, eyes are not the issue otherwise go to the doctor and get it fixed.

If you have good eyes then practice this (you don't mention pistol or rifle but it's the same):
In "Dry Fire" mode - no ammo
mount the gun into the firing position
visually find your rear sight, then front sight and line them on your target
view the target, then come back to rear then focus on the front sight.

Give it a try a few times - don't sit and stare at it because you'll only make your eyes tired and there's no gain.

Train your mind to check the target, then the sights and focus on the front sight.

Other consideration are lighting - are you indoors? There's a range I go to that the lighting system fawkes me all up and I get tired quickly. I thought it was my correction but outdoors in natural light I'm fine - go in there and things get wavy fast...weird.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies.

I DO have the ability to see the front sight clear the issue is just getting it clear quickly without having to take up a lot of time and really mentally focus to make it clear.

Start with a good complete eye exam. I wasted over a year doubting I needed correction. When I finally got it right it was great that I could see again!
Although not a strong correction RX is +1.25 and the shooting lens in my AR hood is +.25 I can see the front sight in focus again with out my eyes stressing and fatigue then basically burning out and loosing both sights and targets! I still need a solution for my other rifles. I have a pair of +.75 glasses that does ok @ 100 yards but at 200 or more the target becomes a blob and my eyes strain even more than shooting with out correction. loosing the eyes is no fun for Iron sights

Start with a good complete eye exam. I wasted over a year doubting I needed correction. When I finally got it right it was great that I could see again!
Although not a strong correction RX is +1.25 and the shooting lens in my AR hood is +.25 I can see the front sight in focus again with out my eyes stressing and fatigue then basically burning out and loosing both sights and targets! I still need a solution for my other rifles. I have a pair of +.75 glasses that does ok @ 100 yards but at 200 or more the target becomes a blob and my eyes strain even more than shooting with out correction. loosing the eyes is no fun for Iron sights

Great advise - even with my so called "good eye sight" I still verified my vision before I had to struggle with other crap - eliminate each factor and move from there.

Stick with a target focus, no need to focus sharply on the front sight, especially if you are trying to shoot quickly and transitioning between multiple targets

I just had a new eye script written last week and I discussed this with the doc. I was a little surprised when he suggested those reading cheaters you can buy at the drug store. He said draw a close facsimile of the sight picture, close to scale of what you would be looking at when you are on your sighting plain, and take it with you to the "cheater store." OK, I got mine the other day, going to try this $11 fix thursday. Will report on the out come. If it don't work, there's an eye doc on here that shoots and feels our pain. He'll hook me up, he knows what we go through to obtain a sight picture.

Back
Top Bottom