Cleaning fluids and Health

Hey All,
I was reading on THR about a guy who developed Knuckle joint swelling from using CLP and no gloves. Well, lately I have developed a similiar problem with both hands and like many others, use CLP and no gloves. My Dr. said arthritis, which I have in my knees and back, but this finger joint swelling came up pretty fast, never thought of the cleaning stuff ( except for the third eye growing above my ear).
Anyone else have any other weird issues from cleaning stuff?

I read the same thread and was thinking of picking up some nitrile gloves for firearms cleaning and oil changes for our cars. I don't have any health issues from either activity so far and it seems like a no-brainer to try to keep it that way.

My brother tells me they just about drink that stuff when when out in the field. US ARMY

I've heard some cleaning fluids can facilitate the absorption of lead through your skin.

It may be a load of baloney, but there certainly are few enough drawbacks to wearing gloves that it doesn't hurt to be safe. I wear them sometimes...probably should do so more.

solvents dissolve stuff, protective gear is always a good idea.....

Great post. Thats all one really needs to know.

Hoppes #9 can be pretty bad for you. I love the stuff too. But, I had to switch to the hoppes elite non-toxic stuff. It is also better on nickel guns and cleans like a mother. Great stuff. I think its non-toxic or less toxic. Maybe not. I don't know. Probably better than # 9 though. But I love that #9 smell.

FYI, nitrile will break down over time depending on what solvent. Methylene chloride or any chlorinated solvent will start breaking down nitrile almost immediately. You can use any cleaning solvent safely as long as you change gloves frequently and wash your hands.

Did the swelling go down after discontinuing the use of CLP? I'm not saying absorbing CLP into your skin is a good thing but that's less a less than scientifically valid test.

Anyway, nitrile gloves are a good idea. You could also consider putting vegetable oil, vaseline or similar on your hands as a protective measure either alone or in addition to rubber gloves. They'll prevent your skin from absorbing the other stuff.

I always wear gloves when dealing with solvents/cleaners.

I never cared until I was an auto-tech, my hands got destroyed after a few months without gloves.

I always wear gloves when dealing with solvents/cleaners.

I never cared until I was an auto-tech, my hands got destroyed after a few months without gloves.

There's an underlying point here that's good to consider. The body can often tolerate things at a certain level but once you go past that level, it's a tipping point and you end up with health problems. Sometimes that tipping point is based on quantity at a point in time or sometimes it's based on quantity over a longer time period. In general though, it's best to avoid the substance that causes it.

I don't know about swelling joints but with continued exposure to certain cleaning chemicals you could potentially develop chemical sensitivity. I am not sure if that could cause swelling or not in joints. It may be wise to switch over to a more eco friendly cleaner.

I wear gloves, to keep chemicals out of my skin, to make clean up easy, to prevent my hands from smelling like chemicals all day.

Back
Top Bottom