City of Chicopee expands LTC documentation requirements.

***NOTE LICENSE TO CARRY CHANGE***

Starting Monday, February 12th, NEW APPLICANTS for a License to Carry MUST submit 2 letters of reference, with contact information. Before, you only had to submit names. This change means you need LETTERS from your references. If you have any questions, please call (413)594-1770. Thanks

NOTE--References have always been required by the state. Getting letters speeds up the process for people to get their license.

Ofc Michael Wilk, PIO
Chicopee Police Department

Had to do it in Mansfield 20 years ago, but no longer. There's other cities and towns around that do this.

Last edited:
How does getting letters speed up the process? Do you still contact the references? There's been several towns requiring these extra steps but I haven't seen anything speed up the process. Which legally is only supposed to be 40 days to notice the applicant of decision.

Not picking on any town but just wondering, I had a customer tell me the same thing for the town of Rockland. I had to do it 10 years ago in Dennis.

Had to do that when I got mine in Haverhill too. The letters needed to be from two other references not the ones listed on the application. Taking this into consideration I needed four references. Was easy to get so it didn’t delay my process at all.

Chicopee sucks anyways. Always have.

Pretty sure they also require you to take a firearms safety course that has live fire too.

"Getting letters speeds up the process..."

So would automatically issuing Restricted only or arbitrarily denying applications.

I call bullshit. I had to submit letters of reference in Ashland not so long ago, and it still took 12 freaking weeks.

Also, they never followed up with either reference.

When I originally applied for my LTC, I just left the references blank. Other than family i had no idea what to write.

I dont really see the point of giving reference, but i also dont see the point of the entire licensing aystem.

Thanks for the heads up OP, im sure somone will find it useful

I could have sworn when they changed the laws eliminating the Class B LTC and requiring the state to complete applications in 40 days (BWAHAHAHAHHA) they also made it clear that towns couldn't require more than what's required by the state. I can't find that anywhere, so I could be mistaken.

NOTE--References have always been required by the state. Getting letters speeds up the process for people to get their license.

Ofc Michael Wilk, PIO
Chicopee Police Department

Not true. There is no law requiring references. The current application does have a place for references (and says optional), but even this is not part of the law.

They will keep adding unlawful requirements until there is pushback, and that will make you unsuitable. So long as they have suitability to fall back on you have no choice but to comply.

Get rid of suitability and you can simply refuse to provide the letters, or whatever, and there is nothing the CoP can do.

BTW It's almost amusing that there is no suitability clause for non-residents but there is for residents. I guess non-residents deserve more access to their 2a right than

in the three cities or towns I have gotten an LTC I have never had to submit reference letters. The closest I have come I was asked to write a letter addressed to the chief stating why I wanted the license. It was a couple of sentences leaving politics out of it and Licensing officer read it and said perfect. All went well.

Boston not only does not require references, they won't accept them if you give them. I had two BPD Sergeants willing to write reference letters for me but in the end it wasn't necessary.

Hey I know what we need. We need a State law that governs firearms licensing.

/sarc

"Dear Sir or Madam, please do not give a this literal terrorist a gun, he once burned down my shed when we were children" said no reference ever.

This requirement is so dumb.

be a good peasant and follow the new rules anytime they change and when anyone wants it changed

Had to do that when I got mine in Haverhill too. The letters needed to be from two other references not the ones listed on the application. Taking this into consideration I needed four references. Was easy to get so it didn’t delay my process at all.

How long ago was this? Haverhill has always been straight forward and easy. I still have a couple years before I need to renew since moving to foxboro, hoping don't need to jump through hoops.

I had to write several over the years. One was to a town the state of
Wait for it
NEW HAMPSHIRE!!!!

But in NH the deadline has teeth and issuance isn't dependant on when or if your two references respond. So 2 references that never need to reply to the PD. And it's the state, not something the Chief made up.

How long ago was this? Haverhill has always been straight forward and easy. I still have a couple years before I need to renew since moving to foxboro, hoping don't need to jump through hoops.
February of this year. Everything was straight forward though no jumping through hoops. Just brought in what he wanted, ALP on the app and waited the time he said and LTC unrestricted.

February of this year. Everything was straight forward though no jumping through hoops. Just brought in what he wanted, ALP on the app and waited the time he said and LTC unrestricted.

Weird. Must've been the chief or mayor screwing with things, Fred who does the licensing now is a good dude.

That’s what actually stopped me from applying back in the early 90’s when I first took the classes. At the time, my town was requiring 3 letters of reference. Being a young guy, I didn’t feel right having to ask neighbors or friends to write a letter saying I should be allowed to own guns. It was a stupid reason looking back, but it deterred me at the time, which I’m sure is their intent. Put as many obstacles as possible, and a good percentage of people will just say “eff it”, and not bother.

Back
Top Bottom