Chinese SKS heads up

It took a little longer than usual, but my new SKS was just delivered. The stock has a lot less trench art on it than I expected, but it is definitely pretty scuffed up. The metal also has a lot more bluing than I expected. There is quite a bit of cosmo to clean up.

This thing is definitely a mutt. There appears to be a Tula mark on the receiver cover, and most of the serial numbers are mismatched. Should be a good shooter, though.

I'll tear it apart after dinner and see how the bore looks.

This was bought with a $15 handpick fee for condition. Shortly after I ordered, the vendor changed the handpick fee to $30, and added options for condition and matching numbers for $40.

SKS001.jpg

SKS002.jpg

SKS003.jpg

SKS004.jpg

SKS005.jpg

SKS006.jpg

SKS007.jpg

SKS008.jpg

SKS009.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, other than the receiver cover, the rest of the numbers do match. The receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, magazine, and trigger guard, all have the same number.

The bore looks great. It's chrome lined, so that is to be expected. The only real concern I have is that the firing pin looks a bit mushroomed at the tip. I'll see how it fires, but I may have to get a replacement pin.

Cool to see such a mix of parts. The Russian cover makes for some interesting communist era interchangeability of parts, and political shuffling.

Couldn't resist another at a local shop today. Has the two hole cleaning kit trap. Gotta love 'em.

They're going for $229/$250 depending on which distributor you buy from. I found out Century imported these.

For the price when you factor in shipping and transfer fee, you can buy one in classifieds or at a shop/show.

They said these were C&R. So if you have one you can save the transfer fee.

I saw two of these for sale at Collectors last week. The wood is well used, but they looked ok other than that.

I finally made it up to the new Shooters Outpost in Hooksett today. They've got about a dozen of these on a rack, for $239 each, and every one is in better shape than the one I bought. They've all got the darker wood stocks. I didn't check to see if the numbers were matching, but I definitely would have bought one if I hadn't just gotten one.

Some good ammo deals up there, too. Spam cans of 7.62x39 Bulgarian (IIRC), 700 rounds for $139.99. I also picked up a couple of cases of 5.56 Federal.

I finally made it up to the new Shooters Outpost in Hooksett today. They've got about a dozen of these on a rack, for $239 each, and every one is in better shape than the one I bought. They've all got the darker wood stocks. I didn't check to see if the numbers were matching, but I definitely would have bought one if I hadn't just gotten one.

Some good ammo deals up there, too. Spam cans of 7.62x39 Bulgarian (IIRC), 700 rounds for $139.99. I also picked up a couple of cases of 5.56 Federal.

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna have to check them out next time Im visiting up in NH

Back
Top Bottom