"Chewin' the fat" at gunshops

OK here's the scene; you just walked into a gunshop (you favorite or not) there's maybe 3 or 4 sales people working there and about 5 or 6 customers waiting to be served. Why is that the salesperson and customer seem to think they have all day doing this transaction?? The chit-chat goes like this:

Salesperson(SP): So you think you want this Glock, it's the last one we have.
Customer (CUS): Gee I don't know, can I look at _______ fill in the blank.
SP: Sure take your time as he pulls 2 other pistols out for the customer to examine. You know we sell a lot of these too. Reminds me of a few months ago a young fellow comes in ...................................(tells story that takes 5 or 10 mins. to tell)
CUS: Really? Well I was hunting once in Alaska..........................(another 5 or 10 mins.)

Meanwhile the other salespeople have there own 'old home-week' stories going on.

Back to salesman #1
SP: Great you'll take it then? OK let's get the paperwork going.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOO, the telephone rings. Person on the phone wants to know if they have a ______________ fill in the blank, oh, let me check. Hmm, we don't have it in blue only in stainless, bla, bla bla another 10 mins.

Do you politey ask, gee I only want a couple of boxes of ammo, think you could do me first before you start on the paperwork? Or do you stand there and do a slow boil and wait, and wait, and wait?

Or do you go somewhere else, like Dick's, Walmart, or whatever and buy? Then they gun shop owners can wonder why they are losing customers.

It's a side effect of the stupid laws in this state. Gun shops are in a seller's market and some seem to act accordingly.

Gary

Most shops live up to the motto on the sign that used to hang above the counter when Bob's Gun Shop was open in Westport. "If you're in a hurry, you're in the wrong place."

I'd at least find another gun shop. I'd also let this gun shop owner realize you'd be more than happy to spread the word that he thought your business was not important. Maybe you could help a few of us out and go to the "Gun Shop Review" thread and go into your experience a little deeper? We certainly don't want to bother this certain gun shop owner if he thinks his conversation is too important to help out a waiting customer. [puke2]

I just patiently wait, or if I can't wait I'd come when it is not quite so busy. Lunchtime on a weekday is very busy with everyone wanting to buy guns while on break, and of course Saturday is very busy. 9:30am weekday, not so busy.

It may be slow sometimes but they're always very helpful and knowledgeable when they get to me. I really can't complain. I'll even take up some time chatting as well.

Now where does this end, or being for that matter. If you were the customer buying the gun, you would think the same thing, and if you are the customer on the phone, your going to think the same thing, if you were doing anything involving the attention of a clerk, you would think or say the same thing. Seems like a never ending scenario of "I am the customer, serve me." What happened to order or first come first serve or for that matter, some good old patience. Yes it is their job, and yes some shops could be a little faster with sertain things, but there is an order in which the customers arrive and that should be the way in which they are served.

I just wait like everyone else.

What he was doing with the original customer (CUS) was waht's known as "selling the sale".
Ask yourself what is probably more important to the store: the profit from your two boxes of ammo or the profit from a gun sale.

In an ideal world, all shops would have salesmen for gun sales and salesmen for quick purchases. Guess what; salesmen cost money.

I'm not sure, but I think that the mark up on ammo is more than the mark up on a firearm.

But, I never go to a gun shop when I'm in a hurry... Half the time, I go into the shop just to shoot the shit and not even buy anything. Granted, I'll let the customer buy something and step aside while he's buying it.. But there's always someone in there to talk to...

But, I usually expect that I'm going to be in the shop for at least 40 minutes min.

Most shops live up to the motto on the sign that used to hang above the counter when Bob's Gun Shop was open in Westport. "If you're in a hurry, you're in the wrong place."

I remember that sign and I take it as words to live by, never go to a gun shop if your in a hurry. On the other hand I do appreciate when the sales person will at least break from his story/banter for 2 seconds to say he will be with me as soon as the current transaction is completed.

I'm not sure, but I think that the mark up on ammo is more than the mark up on a firearm.
I have seen some real dealer price lists (not just the Shotgun News places, but the distributors that ship the ammo to stocking shops). I know that in some cases shops are operating on a smaller profit per box spread than before the great runup.

So, it is time for your MA vehicle inspection. You go to the local shop and get in line with all the others that waited until the last week of the month.

Two cars ahead of you, the customer asks about tires. Owner (sole proprietor shop) goes to look up types and prices. (All you want is a sticker) Owner makes the sale on the tires and schedules an appointment.

Next guy ahead of you has a rough idle. He passes the safety inspection and doesn't need emissions but they hook him up anyway. (After all, he has dealt with the station for 20 years) This takes longer, but you only want a sticker.

Do you just wait your turn, do you try to get the attention of the owner, or do you go somewhere else?

And it can be used for any other customer based business. If you are in a hurry, go somewhere else. If you want to develop a relationship with a local shop owner, take your time and be patient. In the future he will look up from the customer, recognize you and say " hey Mike1911 , you in a hurry or can you hang around?"

I miss Ron RIP. He asked me if I wanted a Coke and we chewed the fat for a while.

If I was in a hurry I'd say, "Excuse me, can I just grab a couple boxes of ammo?' Since I do 99% of my shopping at the same place, it would be no problem.

Small shop and shootin' the bull is my kind of place. YMMV.

I don't think the vehicle inspection example is really relavent, if you're in line to get inspection that should be all that is taking place ahead of you in the line. If you're in a gunshop, the people working there want to sell their firearms and part of that might be talking with the customer, telling stories, etc. If you ask me that makes a shop better, more personable and friendly. Of course if they completely ignore you then it's a problem! They should at least let you know they'll be with you as soon as they are done with the customer they are serving.

Of course if they completely ignore you then it's a problem! They should at least let you know they'll be with you as soon as they are done with the customer they are serving.
+1 Most people I think would agree with you and would have no problem waiting their turn. Letting a waiting customer know you'll be with them as soon as your free is just plain good business. If a gun shop owner thinks its OK to be rude to me if I'm only buying a few boxes of ammo then I'll go elsewhere when I'm ready to make my next gun purchase.

I don't think the vehicle inspection example is really relavent, if you're in line to get inspection that should be all that is taking place ahead of you in the line. .

And that is where we disagree. How a person conducts business is his business. That is the joy of being self employed.

Many inspection stations use the vehicle inspection to get other business.

My point on the story was no matter what you do and where you go there is always going to be someone that feels slighted. It is just the way people are today.

A one man operation can only do so much. He does what he can and is going to piss someone off no matter what he does.

Someone stated there should be someone to sell guns and someone to sell ammunition. If I were the shop owner and did that, then you folks would bitch my prices were too high. Overhead is a big part of any business. If the shop is a hobby, you can make less. If the shop is your primary source of income, you make the sales you can when you can so you can pay the heat and lights and that $1300 a month for health insurance.

If the shop owner or the Auto repair guy left the customer that was a sure sale to ask the person standing there what the needed, there is a chance the sale would be lost.

The bottom line is the free enterprise system allows you to trade where ever you want. It also allows the business owner to operate his business as he wants. Coming on an Internet forum and trashing how someone does business has become all too common in todays world. If you have a problem with how someone does business
TALK TO THEM or sulk in private.

I am self employed. My customers have always been told " If you like what I do and how I do it, tell your friends. If you are unhappy, tell me". I have had very few dissatisfied customers in 15 years of business. Some people you can not satisfy.

Last edited:
Since I started this thread I think some have gotten away from the point I was trying to get accross.

Namely, having customers wait needlessly because shop owner/salesperson chatted needlessly while customers wait. Now I don't mind waiting my turn, but not while idle chit-chat, hows the wife & kids, went hunting last month, my car is making a funny noise, etc. etc. not having anything to do with the transaction at hand. My time is just a valuable as the next guys.

I love to chit-chat at gunshops myself, but if there are other customers waitng I don't. I finish my transaction and leave.

Have you been to almost any store (not mom & pop type gunshops or other small businesses)? Did you happen to notice some of the help working there? Bubble-gum chewing teenies who could care less about customers. I'm talking about major chain stores here, your Circuitcity, Best Buy, Target, Macy's. I no longer shop at Malls or 'brick & morter' businesses.

Where do I shop?

ONLINE! OK so I pay shipping charges, but not sales tax at MOST out of state businesses. Better than driving around looking for a parking space, dealing with salespeople who don't know what they ae selling or care. Since the year 2001 internet/online sales have gone from $1 Billion to $17 Billion.

Here in TAXachusetts you can't purchase mail order ammo, mags. supplies etc. but I found a way around that. Sorry, please don't ask how it's done, I ain't telling. I've purchased over $5000.00 in items in the past several years, never leaving my house, not all firearms related. That's business that cost local businessmen because of "CHEWIN'-THE-FAT".

So as another poster said, "If your in a hurry you came to the wrong place". That would be me you DON'T SEE walking into your store.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom