• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Check my plan please.

I can recall going up to Maine without worrying much about how I transported firearms and less about whether I could shoot once I got there, but times have changed. Since I'm planning a trip to Maine in late August, thought I'd get a head start and start planning firearms accomodations early so wanted to get some feedback in case I'm missing anything...

- Thought about applying for Maine CCW, but procrastinated too long and assume it's too late so don't expect to have one.

- Will be traveling from NH to coastal Maine area about two hours north of Bangor.

- Planning to travel in SUV (no trunk).

- Will secure rifles and handguns unloaded in locked cases stored in rear cargo area of SUV.

- Ammo will be stored seperately(Should I store in locked container?).

- Destination is family owned property (90 acres).

- May do some target shooting, but plan to check local ordinances before doing so.

- May also bring my pistol crossbow, but havn't checked legalities yet.

I'm assuming that if I'm set up with targets, someone isn't going to come along and claim I'm hunting illegally. Thought about applying for a hunting license just in case, but it probably wouldn't do much good as my rifles exceed the five round limit anyway.

As an aside, crime isn't a huge problem there but there are large number of migrants there that time of year for blueberry harvest and there has been trouble now and again. I'd like to be able to carry at some times but my understanding is that even if I open carried, loaded firearms in a vehicle without a permit would be verboten. Regardless, from what I can see I could still carry a can of mace concealed without a permit but any feedback on that would also be appreciated.

Open carry when not driving is fine. Other than that, you basically just need to follow the locked and unloaded rules when transporting.

Back
Top Bottom