Do I need an existing LTC, prior to getting my Maine Non-Resident? Legally Purchase

I do not have an existing LTC. My Mass license is in the process.. I am waiting for my appointment.

I want to get my Maine one in the meantime, and was hearing mixed answers.

Does Maine require an existing permit, if so, is it ANY existing permit, or one from your state of residence?

If Maine does not, and I go ahead and get my Non Resident Maine License, how can I legally purchase a firearm, if that is my only permit? I know I cannot buy one in Maine at a store, as they would require it to be shipped to Massachusetts dealer, correct? I do not have my MA LTC yet, so is it possible to legally purchase a firearm Private Party while in the state of Maine so I can Carry with my Non-Resident License?

I would keep the firearm in my Maine House so it would never come back into Massachusetts.

Edit: Also, if I cannot legally purchase at all, is it legal for me to carry with my Non-Resident Maine license using a legal firearm say owned by my father in-law?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The answer to pretty much everything you're asking is: legally, no you can't.

You can only have a handgun sold/transferred to you in your state of residence (this is Federal law). Since you're a MA resident, you need a MA LTC to buy a handgun. A ME non-resident permit does not confer any ability to purchase handguns in ME.

Private party sales can only be done between residents of the same state (this is also Federal law).

I don't know what ME's laws are regarding issuing non-resident permits, but if they do issue one to you then it may be possible to carry a handgun that you borrow from a ME resident while you are in ME. I do not know all the details though, so you should do some research on any applicable laws (local, state, and federal) before doing so.

Really, the best thing to do would be to get your LTC, buy your own handgun, and get a ME non-resident permit (and NH while you're at it).

Thanks for the info.. Yeah I hoping the mass LTC process goes faster than I've heard, so all of these questions will be moot.

thanks for all your information, you clarified a whole bunch.

Unlikely that you will see many (useful) responses as most of the questions you asked have already been answered, multiple times. Suggest that you do some searching on key words and read to your heart's content.

Unlikely that you will see many (useful) responses as most of the questions you asked have already been answered, multiple times. Suggest that you do some searching on key words and read to your heart's content.

Yeah, I mean I have spent countless hours reading past and pending cases, reading on actual law, reading interpretations of those laws, reading many threads on multiple forums and blogs, but it doesn't hurt to start new conversation as some of those items can change and new minds who maybe did not respond before could have good insight.

And to be honest, after searching here I did not find a post that was exact to my situation of not having a home state license yet, starting with a non resident license and finding the best legal way to either acquire a handgun and to carry while in Maine. I figured it would not hurt asking the question pertaining to my exact situation in hopes I would get useful information.

We all started from the beginning at some point in our Firearms life; mine started now.

Thanks for all the future support, as I intend to return it as become more educated on firearms, and also plan on donating to all resources I have been using.

I was in the same place you were a couple of years ago. Maine does not require any other license. So I got Maine first. At the time, NH was accepting CC permits from any other state to process their non res application, so I used Maine to get NH. Now NH requires a permit from your home state. (at least that is what their current application says)

While I was at it, I sent in for Utah. I had all three before my MA LTC.

Long story longer, you can't legally purchase anything as a resident of MA until you get your LTC. Once you do, you can purchase and take possession of long guns in ME, handguns will need to be transferred to MA dealer.

If you are like me and plan on carrying when you cross state lines, it isn't a bad idea to get those permits. One thing to think about is; both ME and NH have Constitutional Carry bills being worked on. This means that you may not need a permit to carry concealed in Maine or NH if they pass.

Lastly, just in case you didn't know. You don't need a permit for possession or open carry in ME or NH. Just if you want to CC or have it loaded in your vehicle.

Last edited:
I was in the same place you were a couple of years ago. Maine does not require any other license. So I got Maine first. At the time, NH was accepting CC permits from any other state to process their non res application, so I used Maine to get NH. Now NH requires a permit from your home state. (at least that is what their current application says)

While I was at it, I sent in for Utah. I had all three before my MA LTC.

Long story longer, you can't legally purchase anything as a resident of MA until you get your LTC. Once you do, you can purchase and take possession of long guns in ME, handguns will need to be transferred to MA dealer.

If you are like me and plan on carrying when you cross state lines, it isn't a bad idea to get those permits. One thing to think about is; both ME and NH have Constitutional Carry bills being worked on. This means that you may not need a permit to carry concealed in Maine or NH if they pass.

Lastly, just in case you didn't know. You don't need a permit for possession or open carry in ME or NH. Just if you want to CC or have it loaded in your vehicle.

Awesome, thank you for this great information.

When you had the Maine and NH license before Mass, did you come across anything regarding carrying using someone elses firearm ( since you could not legally purchase your own)

When you had the Maine and NH license before Mass, did you come across anything regarding carrying using someone elses firearm ( since you could not legally purchase your own)

NH & ME doesn't care. A firearm is a firearm, plain and simple. This is NOT MA.

Only problem with this is Fed Law. One can not loan a handgun across state lines EXCEPT for "sporting purposes". Defensive carry would not qualify and leave one open to a very slim chance of a Federal prosecution.

Only problem with this is Fed Law. One can not loan a handgun across state lines EXCEPT for "sporting purposes". Defensive carry would not qualify and leave one open to a very slim chance of a Federal prosecution.

This

I just wanted to do all my waiting at once and be able to drive up to Maine legally without having to unload at the border once MA finally came through.

Back
Top Bottom