Cheap guns (!) on Saturday September 20 - Waltham joins gun buyback

The American legion thats letting them use the property should be ashamed of it's self...

do this

Last edited by a moderator:
"Destroyed", as in cherry picked by the PD? Unless the Police dept. is a FFL, this is illegal purchasing. Let's test those EXISTING laws here ok?

So how does this work if the person bringing the firearm to this place does not have an LTC (or FID).
You can no longer use an EFA-10 right? So now we would need to get a FFL involved?

I am tempted to bring a laptop and a mifi to this and help out anyone who needs to run state paperwork.

This crap is absurd. Waltham? I didn't see that coming at all. Granted i moved away from my hometown a decade ago and haven't looked back.

So who is the IN at the legion who gets the kick back above and beyound the rental price for use of the lodge..... ok little rant over.... VFW, legions ect ect rent out thier space to anyone willing to pay....

The state/municipality cannot buy a gun "back" if it did not own them prior the the current owner. It is a gun surrender.

show up and ask how much for this pistol? Then after they tell you $100, reply, "oh that's all? I'll keep it" and try and walk away. I bet they'll start protecting the s*** out of you.

show up and ask how much for this pistol? Then after they tell you $100, reply, "oh that's all? I'll keep it" and try and walk away. I bet they'll start protecting the s*** out of you.

I'd be up for doing this. bring my whole safe worth and say how much for these?

oh thats it? no thanks I'll sell them to someone else

I would have no issue with this if the City/Town auctioned off the turned in firearms for profit after verifying they weren't reported stolen.

Supposedly Springfield donates anything cool to Springfield Armory.
Mike

I emailed current head of the MA police chief association, the Natick PD's chief Hicks, about doing a public private buyback. The PD could set up a buyback to allow gun buyers to meet people who didn't want them anymore. There would be zero cost to the taxpayer, and guns would go from those who don't want them to people who are licensed and do. I don't know his personal opinion but he said it would never happen, in the group of CLEO's, there is no appetite for such a thing. They believe it's best to destroy them.

I'm up for holding a sign and getting a good deal and screwing up the "buyback". Dead serious.

Money is a motivating factor for people. Offer them 2x as much as the "buyback" and most will say great, let's go.

Without an answer to the question of how we can buy a firearm from someone who most likely does not have a FID/LTC, you will at best sway a few people from getting ripped off. While I am up for people not getting ripped off, I can think of a lot better stuff to do on a Saturday afternoon. IF there is a way to buy these guns off people, you can count me in. And if that leads to some people not getting ripped off, awesome!

Without an answer to the question of how we can buy a firearm from someone who most likely does not have a FID/LTC, you will at best sway a few people from getting ripped off. While I am up for people not getting ripped off, I can think of a lot better stuff to do on a Saturday afternoon. IF there is a way to buy these guns off people, you can count me in. And if that leads to some people not getting ripped off, awesome!

You'd need to go to an FFL or have one on site. Someone posted a map to the closest FFL in Waltham, it was a 5 min ride. Pay the transfer fee and done deal. The thing you can't really do if someone is unlicensed (I can't imagine anyone with an LTC turning in non sh1t guns at a buyback) is handle their gun, then give it back to them. That is something I'd be wary of. But it you looked at what they had, didn't touch then agreed on a price and drove to the FFL. I'm in.

Since GOAL has an FFL, couldn't they just have a standing offer to buy guns from the public at fixed prices for "people that don't want them"?

It would be good public PR and might just pay for itself.

You would think it would be far more successful than those run by the police--less chance of getting arrested.

Since GOAL has an FFL, couldn't they just have a standing offer to buy guns from the public at fixed prices for "people that don't want them"?

You would think it would be far more successful than those run by the police--less chance of getting arrested.

if this could be done with the acceptance of the police it would be GREAT!!!. I wouldnt want GOAL getting into a pissing contest with the local LEO's though. Even though they would be 100% legal it would be reported as 'gun nuts keeping criminals from turning in illegal guns' by the media...

Actively participating in an anti-buyback would completely undermine ANY of goal's credibility or influence (as little as it appears to be after the recent bills) and I would hate for that to happen.

Also, the FFL on the street corner, I'm sure someone would charge him for operating at a location without a business license or whatnot.

I think the best solution is still to transport the "seller" to an FFL with the firearm in your control and do a transfer there.

All you need is an ffl with a couple of laptops and wireless connection. I'd gladly pay a transfer to an ffl for every gun I could buy there. FFL makes a few bucks, people get a better value for the guns they don't want, we score a few guns for the collection at slightly below market price and the PD gets to sit twiddling their thumbs. Sounds like a good day to me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Actively participating in an anti-buyback would completely undermine ANY of goal's credibility or influence (as little as it appears to be after the recent bills) and I would hate for that to happen.

Also, the FFL on the street corner, I'm sure someone would charge him for operating at a location without a business license or whatnot.

I think the best solution is still to transport the "seller" to an FFL with the firearm in your control and do a transfer there.

WTF is an anti-buyback?

I wasn't suggesting GOAL setup next to the police "buyback" program and harass them.

I was just saying that the GOAL FFL could make it known that they would purchase unwanted firearms, just like the gun buy backs, only by appointment or walk-in at their office. If done correctly it could COMPLIMENT any police buyback programs because GOAL would be picking up the slack between these police buyback programs, which I view as mostly public relation junkets, btw. I could envision *some* police even referring people to GOAL if they don't have an active buyback program.

It was just a thought. GOAL has a lot on its plate so I can understand them not wanting to start something new, but again, GOOD PR!

as far as i know anyone can bring their firearm to a gun store and sell it to them, licensed or not. so it's not an entirely novel concept, just a spin on an old idea

and if anyone needs it spelled out: GOAL could then resell the guns to us law abiding citizens--WIN! WIN!

The anti-buyback is the purchase of guns before they get turned in at a buy back and ultimately destroyed.

if this could be done with the acceptance of the police it would be GREAT!!!. I wouldnt want GOAL getting into a pissing contest with the local LEO's though. Even though they would be 100% legal it would be reported as 'gun nuts keeping criminals from turning in illegal guns' by the media...

Agree it would have to be done right. but these buybacks don't really happen that often and aside from us gun nuts and a few shut ins watching the news diligently, people don't really know about them

a relative working with an elderly man in a nursing home actually had an old bolt action 22 rifle he needed to get rid of (and no he wouldn't sell/give it to me). they called the Brookline Police and they said, "we don't have a buyback program, so we don't want it". I was surprised how reluctant they were to get involved. I thought "man with gun" would be like a hot call! After someone drove to the BPD and talked with the brass they eventually did send a cruiser to pick it up.

Did you buy on the spot, or did you do a transfer at a nearby FFL?

On the spot, paper FA-10s filled out on the hood of my truck.

To the PD's credit, I was genuinely surprised by the friendly and amused reaction of the individual officers. It was a cold February morning, and one officer brought me coffee, and several of me asked how business was going, and shared their insights on their personal collections.

If the logistics don't work for an FFL on site, all you really need to do is put a table across the street with a sign that says, "Free firearm appraisals." And give them any number more than $100.

Back
Top Bottom