Cheap Barrel Recommendations for 1911A1

So I recently made my first 1911 purchase. It was also my first C+R purchase which was fun[smile], anywho.....

The only item on it right now that I am debating replacing is the barrel. When I first got the gun it looked pretty frosty inside and I could just make out the grooves. I took the gun apart and really went at it with the barrel and it is much better now, the grooves look a lot stronger. I am still thinking about possibly replacing it though. I'm not really looking to make the gun dead nuts accurate just a good shooter. I was looking around and I've seen some barrels that were pretty cheap. Preferably I'm looking for something that's drop in and go. Anyone have any good experiences with some cheaper barrels? If I do buy one for this gun I wouldn't want to spend over $100. I wasn't sure if the ones I saw for like $50 would be decent enough or not.

Last edited:
um... how C&R is that gun exactly? If it's a WWII era gun, please don't bubba it... please...

as far as barrels I don't really know, but I'm guessing for the purposes you are proposing they'll be accurate, if they feed well.

The guns already kind of a mutt. It's a mismatch of parts. Colt 1911A1 frame with a Remington Rand slide. The barrel is god only knows what. It's all reblued which I believe is not rearsenal bluing. Any "bubba"ing has already been done and not by me. It's still a nice piece though and I got a good deal on it. And really it's just the barrel that i'm looking to replace. If I could I wouldn't mind sticking an original WWII barrel on it to keep it within the era if I can find one for not too much money.

please keep in mind that most govt issue guns are now mixmasters. If it saw action, it was probably worked on at some time in it's life. Parts were swapped around without any concern as to what part went on what gun.

Most mixmasters, unless a rusted up, bring some pretty good prices. Please don't bitch it up more.

As to replacing the barrel, shoot it first. You might be surprised to find that it's still a pretty good shooter.

Then check out www.e-gunparts.com if you need a new one.

Duly noted. I guess I was sort of "jumping the gun". Pardon the pun.... I just picked up plenty of ammo to put down the tube so i'll see what my results are. If it seems to keep decent groups then the barrel can stay a little while longer. But if the bullets start having minds of their own coming out the muzzle the barrels getting evicted.

And I think I'll be nixing the idea of getting an original WWII barrel. I was looking on Gunbroker at some and people are looking for around $400+ dollars for them. That's almost as much as I paid for this gun. Which was this listing if anyone's curious......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=97929127

Last edited:
Everyone should have one banged up ("utility") pistol. This is the one you don't care about taking out in the rain, etc. If it shoots, so much the better.

Mine are a pair of S&Ws: a 3" bull barrel Model 65, round butt, and a 4" Model 66, square butt. Normal wear and tear, but they are stainless.

Range Report

Thanks Pilgrim for the sage advice. The barrel gets to stay. After I warmed up a bit I was getting pretty decent groupings. I'm also really not used to the 1911 style guns so with time I'm sure I'll be doing much better there. The recoil seemed a lot less than what I was expecting, very managable.

The mags I have however have to go. Major FTE issues on a lot of the last rounds in the mags resulting in quite a few crushed casings. Not good considering I am saving them now as I plan to start reloading hopefully in the near future. I used the USGI contract mag that came with the gun and I had bought two cheap Triple K mags. One of the Triple K mags now has a crushed lip thanks to one of the FTE's. I also had FTE's with the USGI mag as well. Looks like I'll need to invest in some better quality mags and this will be one sweet gun.

Back
Top Bottom