• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Charging LEOs to use Club Range

What about liability? If a cop has a ND and someone gets injured or killed, is it on the police department or on the club? Last thing we need is another incident that puts a club in danger of being shut down by local authorities. All it takes is one fool to do something stupid!

What happens when someone on one of those police depts launches a round that goes outside of the club property? Who is going to take the hit and have a range closing issue? It won't be the PD it will be the club. Camp Curtis Guild's ranges were shut because of a Cop F*** UP.
Welcome to Qualified Immunity. :mad:

What I don't get is with all the State Property out there, why don't they have their own shooting ranges (or two) in each county? Seems like a no-brainer... 🤷‍♂️

Probably don't want lead-contamination issues. Let the clubs worry about that...
Between all the agencies in state/s there is zero reason they can't all pool resources and have a specific training center for combined LE departments, they got the money but are too busy wasting it on bullshit

What I don't get is with all the State Property out there, why don't they have their own shooting ranges (or two) in each county? Seems like a no-brainer... 🤷‍♂️

Probably don't want lead-contamination issues. Let the clubs worry about that...
Never mind the state property. The cities and towns should be responsible to fund and maintain their own ranges. For as long as I can remember police agencies have gone out begging for ranges to use for training and qualifications. When I was in the Mass. Environmental Police, I was the lead Firearms Instructor and armorer. I was always on the hunt for ranges to use. Some were free, others we had to pay.

We just debated this at our club, same reasons others have noted, brass everywhere, garbage and members don’t like losing ranges.

I kind of lead the bounce them group, PD takes one of the two action ranges and members get annoyed. No amount of emails and posts on calendars seem to work, people show up en masse that day lol.

In the end, we compromised with the keep them group, we raised their rate from $1,500 to $4,000. They paid the fee and didn’t complain.

The most annoying part was club members arguing we can’t poke the bear, the cops could make our lives more difficult. My response of “f*** them” was not well received.

What happens when someone on one of those police depts launches a round that goes outside of the club property? Who is going to take the hit and have a range closing issue? It won't be the PD it will be the club. Camp Curtis Guild's ranges were shut because of a Cop F*** UP.
I belonged to Methuen R&G from mid-1980s to mid-1990s. I heard plenty of illegal shooting outside of club property in the nearby woods and a couple of sand pits. A friend even heard a few three round bursts emanating from these areas. Methuen R&G did not have Class 3 and rapid fire of any type was prohibited on the property. Nearby businesses and homes were hit and the police were notified. We came this-close to having our outdoor rifle range shut down. No proof of wrongdoing required. Club was the scapegoat.

If they want to use it, each of them can get a yearly membership like us regular people.

Why is that concept so hard?

They can buy armored vehicles and assault rifles but can't pay $200 per year per officer so they can practice?

Details cost money... Oh, wait a second.

It's not like they are getting paid to practice... Oh, wait a sec..

Just pick up that can that I knocked over citizen!

When cops are at the range, do any of them walk around asking for NFA paperwork or to check mags? Hmm...

Pepperidge Farms remembers when a certain LEO board member of HSC was on the 50 jokingly checking rifles on the rack for compliance.. Flexing on the serfs was more like it.

As a member of a club that lets local LEO use it for qualification…

They are the worst people as a group I have ever seen. Zero weapon discipline. No concept of a cold range with everyone waving weapons and playing with ammo when people are down range. No muzzle discipline with hot weapons getting pointed EVERYWHERE. Brass left everywhere when they leave. Live ammo left everywhere when they leave.

I am clearly talking about them as a group. Lots of individuals know what they are doing and are members in good standing. But as a group they are horrible. I leave the range if they are on the property…
As a retired police officer, I agree. I saw too many guns pointed in unsafe directions during our qualifications. I used to stop by the club and scoop up brass left by officers during qualifications, etc.
Club I belong to used to allow LEO use. I believe it was revoked due to similar events as listed above and damage to the range exceeding any benefits.
When I first joined Braintree R&P they had numerous agencies using the range for training, all for free. Eventually they re-purposed that range for members use and forbade any agency use due to all the problems mentioned above.
What about liability? If a cop has a ND and someone gets injured or killed, is it on the police department or on the club? Last thing we need is another incident that puts a club in danger of being shut down by local authorities. All it takes is one fool to do something stupid!
The club takes the hit. They definitely would be sued and at best pay lots of legal fees even if no judgment was ruled against them.
Between all the agencies in state/s there is zero reason they can't all pool resources and have a specific training center for combined LE departments, they got the money but are too busy wasting it on bullshit
They don't want to pay for the OT involved in officers traveling considerable distance for training. They don't do anything for free.

Welcome to Qualified Immunity. :mad:

I doubt QI applies in that case, it would be more of an "accidental discharge" or "training" incident.

Kinda sucks because cops DO need a place to practice and qual.. The W Concord jail has a shooting trailer that travels around, why can't they use that for live fire/qual and sims for training?

What about it? They have a waiver in the contract same as any other guests. We have a lawyer that handles the contracts. Our guests sign waivers to use our range like the majority of clubs. I don't see any additional risk to the club for any accidents that may arise from the po po vs. Any other guest that uses our ranges. If what your saying is a viable concern your basically saying a club should never allow guests.....or he'll shy not allow shooting at all. 😂

What happens when a member does the same? I don't see the point.

Delete LE agency and insert "Someone that wants to bring in a group of people that shoot maybe a couple times a year". Would they rent to John Q instructor so he could bring people that only shoot a couple times a year?

If regular Joe wants to inspect my rifle at the range, I can tell him to go kick rocks. It's a little harder to do that with a guy who has arrest powers. Did this really need to be spelled out?
You are correct but half of the officers either don't give a shit or wouldn't know if something was compliant or not, trust me most of these guys are there to do their group circle jerk talking shit about each other and get through their day with minimal bullshit including training

I do not have experience with exactly that but do have experience pricing equipment/labor for local LE and other local government agencies. Pricing doesn’t matter 99% of the time so do not cut deals. They are not spending their own money. $$$$$

When cops are at the range, do any of them walk around asking for NFA paperwork or to check mags? Hmm...
The ones using our range carry billy clubs and smash tail lights. Then when members leave they are pulled over for the tail light violation, a proper gun storage check, a database check to ensure proper registration for all firearms, a check for any outstanding warrant on vehicle occupants, a sobriety check, ...

[rofl]

If regular Joe wants to inspect my rifle at the range, I can tell him to go kick rocks. It's a little harder to do that with a guy who has arrest powers. Did this really need to be spelled out?
They have never done that in the decades we've had these contracts.

You are correct but half of the officers either don't give a shit or wouldn't know if something was compliant or not, trust me most of these guys are there to do their group circle jerk talking shit about each other and get through their day with minimal bullshit including training
What about the other half? All it takes is one but you're telling me there are many more than that.

The ones using our range carry billy clubs and smash tail lights. Then when members leave they are pulled over for the tail light violation, a proper gun storage check, a database check to ensure proper registration for all firearms, a check for any outstanding warrant on vehicle occupants, a sobriety check, ...

[rofl]
Wouldn't be the first time something like that has been done...

Back
Top Bottom