• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Channel 5 Investigates Story on P320

I recall hearing somewhere that the few issues that did occur was if you dropped a loaded LE duty belt with the p320 still holstered and it hit the ground at the perfect angle with the full weight of the belt it could go off that’s why the changed (lightened the weight) the trigger and sear.

Just watched it, I feel like in some instances that a holster is to blame. I wonder how many 320 are faulty.

Maybe they should carry Glocks.

And, since Glocks are so safe, free up the regulations so the rest of us can get them.

That was the reason for the grip recall. Which is still valid. There were never any actual discharges, but there was potential. It affected all early 3rd Gen semiautos..

Supposedly the S&W 6946 DAO hammer 9 mm Semi-Auto could do this also back in the day if dropped at the right angle on the right kind of floor.

And it’s worth noting they did not reference the fact Sig acknowledge the issue years ago and has a voluntary upgrade program.
Read the appendices in the lawsuit that kid filed. I think he shot himself in the leg, but the stuff in the appendices is somewhat damning. Guns in holsters going bang, with witnesses. One of them is on film/dashcam, too, apparently. One problem i have is its not clear how many incidents were pre/post recall.

Here's the Channel 5 Investigates piece...

Oddly, the serial number of the P320 in the video above has been obliterated. not blacked out or redacted, but... OBLITERATED.

Oddly, the serial number of the P320 in the video above has been obliterated. not blacked out or redacted, but... OBLITERATED.
Clip? They make it look like the angle that shooting at will not show you the serial through the window on the side of the grip module. Only the FCU has serials and they're pretty freaking small

Clip? They make it look like the angle that shooting at will not show you the serial through the window on the side of the grip module. Only the FCU has serials and they're pretty freaking small
Well, that makes sense too... [rofl2]

Not sure I buy this one.
Have heard the gun can go off if dropped at the right angle. Obviously that's a problem in of itself. But how does it go off when you are unholstering? Are they arguing that it just went off randomly and that it happened to be at the exact moment she was removing it? Sounds fishy. Seems like they are exploiting a known issue as an excuse for a ND.

Not sure I buy this one.
Have heard the gun can go off if dropped at the right angle. Obviously that's a problem in of itself. But how does it go off when you are unholstering? Are they arguing that it just went off randomly and that it happened to be at the exact moment she was removing it? Sounds fishy. Seems like they are exploiting a known issue as an excuse for a ND.
I think there's some fishy shit with some p320.... But i bet a lot of lawsuits are compltely bogus claims, too.

Not sure I buy this one.
the Ch. 5 piece makes it sound like its a fit & finish issue with the internals...

I think there's some fishy shit with some p320.... But i bet a lot of lawsuits are compltely bogus claims, too.

She's convinced herself and her department that there was "No way" she pulled the trigger.
When occam's razor tells us thats the MOST LIKELY scenario.

Bad PR for her, bad for her department, easier to just get a lawyer and settle. Bet she walked (limped?) away with few mill.

If slippage off the sear without the trigger being pulled is cause for an unintended discharge, there is more of a flaw that a rough finish.

1911 without firing pin block are easy to get to go bang when dropped, and non-series 80 / Schwarz fixes are analog rather than digital in nature (lighter/shorter firing pin). But, one does not expect a 1911 to be drop safe.

1911's with a firing pin block safety can even go off without being dropped if they are sucked into an MRI machine (Bartell et. al., 2001, AM journal of Rotenology, http://www.t.supertrap.com/ST_Downloads_files/GUN_in_MRI.pdf). Small world - I still have the Milt Sparks summer special holster bill sold me in the 80's.

Also, the last I heard, Sig does not certify one as an "Expert" on their guns, but as a "Certified armorer" - a very real distinction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom