Channel 5 Investigates Story on P320

Oddly, the serial number of the P320 in the video above has been obliterated. not blacked out or redacted, but... OBLITERATED.

I noticed that first. Isn't that a felony? Like a serious one with major felonious mellons hitting you in the nuts and dry ice shoved up your keister felonious?

Nope.

To have Glock leg, a person or object has to pull the trigger.

These junk SIG trash guns go off by themselves.

Just look at those internals.

A cave man could have crafted a better gun.

Oh I see thanks for setting me straight. Were talking about the sigs that shoot everyone in chicago. Ah, thems the ones were talking about. The ones everyone is so scared of getting in the streets. My mistake.

Oh I see thanks for setting me straight. Were talking about the sigs that shoot everyone in chicago. Ah, thems the ones were talking about. The ones everyone is so scared of getting in the streets. My mistake.
I'd say a duct taped revolver held together with cable ties and hose clamps would be more reliable than these SIG's - those are found in Chicago all the time.

The most important feature of a gun is not to shoot yourself or an innocent.

Are these the same junk that our military now uses?

During the military trials, they said the Glock was better but it cost more so they didn't want it.

The govt must treat them like cannon fodder to issue guns like this.

If slippage off the sear without the trigger being pulled is cause for an unintended discharge, there is more of a flaw that a rough finish.

1911 without firing pin block are easy to get to go bang when dropped, and non-series 80 / Schwarz fixes are analog rather than digital in nature (lighter/shorter firing pin). But, one does not expect a 1911 to be drop safe.

1911's with a firing pin block safety can even go off without being dropped if they are sucked into an MRI machine (Bartell et. al., 2001, AM journal of Rotenology, http://www.t.supertrap.com/ST_Downloads_files/GUN_in_MRI.pdf). Small world - I still have the Milt Sparks summer special holster bill sold me in the 80's.

Also, the last I heard, Sig does not certify one as an "Expert" on their guns, but as a "Certified armorer" - a very real distinction.

This was my first thought "wtf happens to the drop safety".
News report makes little to no sense if you have a basic functioning knowledge of firearms.

D434E7E7-ACCF-434A-B578-CB94575F6071.png
At 1:40 where they are stating these incidences happen with law enforcement officers trained in the use of fire arms. Just as this person is seen inserting a magazine, then racking the slide. This next screen grab, is how the guilty gun was put on the table.

When I worked for a local police department (adjacent to Boston, but I won't identify the town cuz I don't wanna hear the drama here LOL) there were no less than THREE cops - one a Sergeant - who were so absolutely bleepfaced most of the time that they probably shot better and more accurately with accidental discharges than they did during their (rare) time at the range next door... And I'm not exaggerating.
One of them, a patrol officer with more than 20 years on the job, "lost" and/or "misplaced" his gun at least four times that I can recall, and just in the six years I worked there. The guy was a raging, blithering drunk.. (But was also the son and grandson of cops in that town, related to local politicians, etc etc. so, y'know, "nothing to see here, folks. The dedicated officer had a bad ice cube or six. Move along please.")

Just sayin'

Last edited:
News report makes little to no sense if you have a basic functioning knowledge of firearms.
I've RARELY ever seen a "news report", an "investigative report", a network (or independent) information piece, etc etc that didn't contain inaccuracies, "stoopid-ity", out-and-out lies, etc etc etc...I'm sure it's just more of the same BS that the anti-gun nitwits preach to each other about the bad, bad evil people (like us) who...own and carry legal "g-g-g-GUNS!!!" 😲

It is worth noting the story had two different elements. The voluntary recall for risk of a discharge due to component weight / design associated with unique drop test.

Then the incidents post upgrade, suspected due to component issues. The mix of old news and recent unexpected discharges probably should not have been mixed in together.

I speculate we have two different stories and root causes.

I
It is worth noting the story had two different elements. The voluntary recall for risk of a discharge due to component weight / design associated with unique drop test.

Then the incidents post upgrade, suspected due to component issues. The mix of old news and recent unexpected discharges probably should not have been mixed in together.

I didn’t realize there were ongoing issues with the current post voluntary recall models. The gun they showed on the segment that was FDE looked to be a pre-voluntary upgrade version due to having what appeared to be a non upgraded “heavy” trigger.

I
I didn’t realize there were ongoing issues with the current post voluntary recall models. The gun they showed on the segment that was FDE looked to be a pre-voluntary upgrade version due to having what appeared to be a non upgraded “heavy” trigger.

With the old problem the trigger was being artificially pulled with inertia when the gun hit the floor, so it was activating the firing pin safety because the trigger was actually traveling. That doesn't seem possible in this scenario.

I suspect 320’s will be firing while going in or out of holsters “without touching the trigger” for years to come.

At 1:40 where they are stating these incidences happen with law enforcement officers trained in the use of fire arms.
Upvote for the insider vocabulary.
Saying "incidence" instead of "incident" is a tell that a person is a cop,
or maybe a City Beat reporter stuck covering local crime stories.
It's a real word, but no other group uses it.

I've RARELY ever seen a "news report", an "investigative report", a network (or independent) information piece, etc etc that didn't contain inaccuracies, "stoopid-ity", out-and-out lies, etc etc etc..
Either Timothy Leary (the LSD guy) or Robert Anton Wilson once wrote that
they had been present at two newsworthy events in their life,
and absolutely no media account of either event
bore the slightest resemblance
to what they had personally witnessed
with their own eyes.

So if you've ever seen a news story that didn't contain
inaccuracies, stoopid-ity, out-and-out lies, etc.,
you deserve some kind of medal. Because that's a first.

(ETA: You deserve a medal regardless of
whether you recognized that the article was korect, or not).

Last edited:
I noticed that first. Isn't that a felony? Like a serious one with major felonious mellons hitting you in the nuts and dry ice shoved up your keister felonious?
[rofl2]

I spoke in error. Having never owned or handled a P320, I thought that was where one of those metal serial number strips sits and it was torn out. My bad!
That is apparently a window to see the serial number on the metal trigger housing assy, which in fact is the "firearm" and the polymer frame is not.

Once again I let my "Inner Idiot" out...
~Enbloc

I feel like in some instances that a holster is to blame

Last year I had a discussion with a Sig engineer about this. He said he'd bet it was a Safariland ALS with a WML. Safariland knows of the issue but didn't do anything . In the case of the SRO in Florida, video showed she was playing with the handgun when it discharged.

Last year I had a discussion with a Sig engineer about this. He said he'd bet it was a Safariland ALS with a WML. Safariland knows of the issue but didn't do anything . In the case of the SRO in Florida, video showed she was playing with the handgun when it discharged.

The ALS has become somewhat of a standard. It is a widely used holster and seems to work with Glocks and many other guns just fine. SIGs are not only far more expensive then comparable guns, they seem to have many more issues.

If slippage off the sear without the trigger being pulled is cause for an unintended discharge, there is more of a flaw that a rough finish.

1911 without firing pin block are easy to get to go bang when dropped, and non-series 80 / Schwarz fixes are analog rather than digital in nature (lighter/shorter firing pin). But, one does not expect a 1911 to be drop safe.

1911's with a firing pin block safety can even go off without being dropped if they are sucked into an MRI machine (Bartell et. al., 2001, AM journal of Rotenology, http://www.t.supertrap.com/ST_Downloads_files/GUN_in_MRI.pdf). Small world - I still have the Milt Sparks summer special holster bill sold me in the 80's.

Also, the last I heard, Sig does not certify one as an "Expert" on their guns, but as a "Certified armorer" - a very real distinction.

Funny how a 1911 not being drop safe for over 110 years is fine, but the same for a Sig is a catastrophic.

Safariland Fixed this issue with the 7TS series of duty holsters. They closed the gap at the rear of the holster

Funny how a 1911 not being drop safe for over 110 years is fine, but the same for a Sig is a catastrophic.

What you said is true, but there is also a more nuanced version of the story about how standards have changed over time, and the 1911 has changed with them.

Most 1911 pistols made within the last 30 years are drop safe. Even guns without the series 80 safeties usually use either an extra strength firing pin spring, or a lightweight titanium firing pin, or both. These changes are enough to prevent inertial strikes by the firing pin, which is the drop safety problem on original 1911's.

So yes, there are lots of 1911's which are not drop safe, but if you purchase any current model from any major manufacturer, it will meet stringent drop safety standards.

And if Sig was selling new models of a recently designed handgun that were capable of firing without the trigger being pulled, that really would be a problem in my opinion. Luckily, nothing in this recent reporting makes me think that has happened.

Many companies still make series 70 1911s which are not drop safe

There are millions of non drop safe 1911s in service

So yes, there are lots of 1911's which are not drop safe, but if you purchase any current model from any major manufacturer, it will meet stringent drop safety standards.
DavidK utteruth the truth.

More like it will get by the specified test with new samples. If "stringent" specs require 3ft onto concrete, that's the drop - not 5ft. Extra power firing pin springs can experience in a decrease in their spring constant. The technique of making traditional 1911s (no firing pin block) drop safe is "analog" - not "digital". A properly working firing pin block is digital - the firing pin cannot move. Ditto with a hammer block in S&W revolver or transfer bar in a Ruger revolver.

I watched the link in this thread and you are correct. I dont recall seeing that part on live TV broadcast. I must have just missed it.

I just saw the segment again at 6:20am on the morning broadcast via channel five and they chop down the segment and they did not show the part about the voluntary recall like they do online (link in this thread).

My concern after watching the brief version on TV and the full link posted here is that some of these occurrences were after the Sig mods were done. I own two P320s, neither have been modified yet. I think I'll wait until perhaps this shakes out and they offer Mod 2! Meanwhile I'll only load/shoot on a range, with the gun pointed downrange only when loaded, no holster use.

Back
Top Bottom