Change to Mass Accepting NH's Hunter's Ed???

Hi,

I just got back from my Hunter's ED field day in Merrimack, NH at the Horseshoe Fish & Game. Great course and a great bunch of guys instructing, if any of you are members here, kudos to you.

Okay, to my point.... one of the instructors was telling me that Mass (where I'm from) does now not honor the NH hunter's ed certificate for a Mass hunting license. I checked out the courses back in the spring and I could have sworn that the certificate was good for a Mass license as well as a NH one. One of the other instructors mentioned this in passing as well.

I'll check this out later to see what I can find, but I just wanted to check in with you folks to see if you've heard any changes to the Mass laws that would not allow me to get a Mass License. It sounded like this may have happened just this year.

On a side note, I've been away from hunting for a while. I'm in my mid-40's now and was expecting to be with a bunch of teenagers for the day (no offense to any of you younger folks), but I don't think there was a teen there. In fact, I'd have to guess the average age was about 40 or so... I was surprised.

On a last side note, they said our class was the last home study class and moving forward all students will be taking the on-line course.

If you check with a Mass licensing authority I think that you will find that the restriction is that you can't get a Mass FID license by completing the New Hampshire Hunter ED. class. Therefore, I believe that if you already have a MA LTC or FID you can get the hunting license with a NH Hunter ED Cert.

This should answer your question.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/regulations_license.htm

Q: If I have an FID card or LTC card, may I purchase a hunting or sporting license in 2007?

A: No. Effective January 1, 2007, Massachusetts FID and LTC cards will no longer be accepted for purchasing hunting/sporting licenses. The legislation now reflects the licensing requirement that had been in place prior to 1998.

It does say that for non-residents, an out of state cert is acceptable. This q&a does nto address a resident completing a non mass safety course.

Last edited:
Ham Slam, Thank you very much. I will definitely look into this as the Hunting Safety Courses in Mass always seem full. Thanks again.

Curtis

Last edited:
Well you could always get your NH license with your NH Cert, then get your MA license by using your NH license.

Back
Top Bottom