CCW Permit

If my friend has a carry permit and I do not...

Can I shoot his guns while with him at a range if he supervises?
Can he transport my guns for me on his CCW if he is with me?

From my understanding, the CCW permit is for "transporting" guns only. So if someone else that has a CCW does the transporting, is this acceptable or do ALL pistol shooters at the range require a CCW?

If my friend has a carry permit and I do not...

Can I shoot his guns while with him at a range if he supervises?
Can he transport my guns for me on his CCW if he is with me?

From my understanding, the CCW permit is for "transporting" guns only. So if someone else that has a CCW does the transporting, is this acceptable or do ALL pistol shooters at the range require a CCW?

a ccw permit isn't for transporting only, it's for concealed carry. What state are you in?

Yes, you can shoot your friends guns at the range with him. If he has a permit, I don't see any reason that he couldn't transport your guns.

a ccw permit isn't for transporting only, it's for concealed carry. What state are you in?

Yes, you can shoot your friends guns at the range with him. If he has a permit, I don't see any reason that he couldn't transport your guns.

This post is in the CT laws section, so presumably CT.

I'm unfamiliar with CT laws, so I won't comment on his question.

From what I have experienced, and it should have been told to your friend in his Pistol Permit class...the CT Permit is for concealed carry. Most (public) ranges require you to have a Pistol Permit to use their range. If your friend takes you to a public range, and the two of you "share a lane", you may fire a gun, but your friend will have to sign waivers/releases of liability, and he will be the "responsible party" for any/all of your actions. You will NOT be able to go and have your own lane at a public range, at least, not until YOU get your Pistol Permit.
I speak from experience - my husband does not have his permit, but I do. When we go to Hoffman's or Wolf's, I have to sign waivers for him, and he MUST "share the lane" with me.

he can transport them and you can shoot it at a range..there might be waivers involved....Despite what anyone might tell you, CT's permit is to purchase a handgun, concealed or open carry, or you may leave it in your vehicle..

Most (public) ranges require you to have a Pistol Permit to use their range. If your friend takes you to a public range, and the two of you "share a lane", you may fire a gun, but your friend will have to sign waivers/releases of liability, and he will be the "responsible party" for any/all of your actions. You will NOT be able to go and have your own lane at a public range.

^^^ I want to second this.

He can transport your guns, this means YOU can not carry them. (specifically unlocked on person)
I would go as far as letting HIM carry them to and from the vehicle, no need to give them a reason to confiscate them.

Some ranges will not let non permit holders use rented guns.
Some ranges require you to have you Permit for a given time ( IE one year) before allowing you to bring a friend/family to the range.

Last edited:
CT doesn't have a CCW permit. There is no statute requiring you to conceal. Its called a "permit to carry pistols and revolvers", or more succinctly a "pistol permit".

I'm not advocating open carry. But lets get our terms right. I was at a friends of the NRA banquet a few years ago and an NRA rep refered to it as a concealed carry permit. I can't stand people of authority propagating misinformation.

Don

Just to clarify: Any permit holder may have guests shoot their firearms (long or handguns) as long as the range they are at allows it. Our range in Somers CT is open to that as it introduces non-permit holders the opportunity to enjoy firearms. The permit holder/club member is expected to teach the non-permit holder the ropes and is ultimately responsible for them but that shouldn't be a problem. Most newbie shooters are nervous as heck the first time out. The point is to use that time as an introduction to the sport, have fun, and initiate training.

I've taken many dozens of youngsters to our range and had loads of fun with them. It's always an eye opener for sure.

As others have already stated, a non-licenced person in Connecticut can NOT transport a handgun to any range. Their handgun must stay on their property or at their place of business unless a permit holder takes responsibility for them him or herself. Once at the range they can both shoot.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom