CCW in cambridge (think of the children! :p)

According to Packing.org

Cambridge is not an easy place to get a LTC. It's all up to the police chief.
You might call him and see what the deal is.
I doubt there are too many Cambridge residents on this board, but....

you never know

Did you bother to read any of the Stickies on this sub-forum? Also set UserCP to show ALL THREADS and do some digging. Most everything has been discussed, answered and cited (actual paragraphs from the laws/regs) on here already. THEN if you still have questions, please post them . . . but do a "due diligence" search (use Advanced Search and term must be 4 characters or more) here first.

perhaps i should have clarified. i was lloking for the laws on earning/applying for/recieveing (w.e) a license in the city. i searched and found info on hi-cap magazines, moving into cambridge, and renewing in cambridge, but not applying.
no need to be snippy :(

Most everything has been discussed, answered and cited (actual paragraphs from the laws/regs) on here already.

Woah. Does this mean we can stop now?[laugh]

Apply for a Class A LTC for All Lawful Purposes. The chief in Cambridge will give you something less than that, which means you won't be able to legally carry and you might even get stuck with a class B which limits the types of guns you can possess. There's not much you can do about it. According to the Packing.org map, it's actually not as bad as a place like Quincy, which was just flat out refusing to hand out applications. There are no laws that differ according to town unless you're in Boston, which has its own AWB. The thing that differs by town is the policy of the police chief, which is based on a delicate balance of His or Her (to be Harvardly) opinion and whim.

And if for whatever reason you do start carrying in Cambridge, watch your step as half the town belongs to Universities, Institutes, and other educational establishments that are one of the very few types of places written into law that are prohibited for CCW. Double bad juju.

Last edited:
Cambridge is not an easy place to get a LTC. It's all up to the police chief.
You might call him and see what the deal is.
I doubt there are too many Cambridge residents on this board, but....

you never know

Getting an ALP LTC in Cambridge is pretty much impossible from what i've heard from some who have tried. After moving here (w/ my "target and sport" LTC A, I was going to try to get a machine gun license (I have a C&R to cover the "collector" angle) and was "unofficially" discouraged.
I didn't want to have to say that I was turned down for any license come renewal time.

News Shooter,
you'd be surprised, there are a few of us here in Cambridge and on these and other boards. We just have to buy more firearms to balance things out.
[wink]

Getting an ALP LTC in Cambridge is pretty much impossible

Impossible to get an ALP LTC, but probably not so hard to get an LTC. The wordsmiths at the state house made it so many licenses to carry don't license anyone to actually carry.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snippy. Just that there are Sticky threads that cover what needs to be done to get an LTC and the rules "really" aren't different for each town (well, at least according to MGLs).

I think issues around Cambridge have been discussed before and if you set this forum up to see all threads and do some searching that you might discover some valuable info.

There really is no "magic" in how to get an LTC. Just follow what the requirements are, make doubly sure that you answer every question fully and honestly and then kinda hope for the best wrt what you are issued.

Good luck.

=)

no worries, lens, i should have clarified
thanks for the help, guys.
i love the town, and the university atmosphere is nice. i could just move to boston; its right across the river, and according to jeremiah, possible to get a license while residing therein.
cheers [grin]

I can't imagine that Cambridge would be more difficult than Boston to get a LTC!

Yes Cambridge is very "entertaining" . . . a freak show on every corner near Harvard or Central Squares! We do have some of the best universities in the world, just too bad that they all slant left. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom