Casting question

Here is some pics of bullets I just cast with my Lee 2 cavity mold. They are 9mm 124gr TC in very hard Linotype. Once I got the hang of it I was very pleased with the results. Only problem I think i have is that the bases of he bullet where the sprue plate cuts off is rough on many of them. I am considering a quick run of the bullets over a file so the bottom is perfectly flat and they have no wobble sitting on a table. Has anyone done this before? Think its needed? My other thought is as soon as the charge goes off the base of he bullet would be reformed regardless of the small nub from the sprue plate.
CastBullets002.jpg

CastBullets003.jpg

CastBullets005.jpg

Don't bother. Varying your casting temperature can clean up the sprues a little. I would try dropping the temp a little, or letting the mold sit a little longer before moving the sprue plate.

Here is some pics of bullets I just cast with my Lee 2 cavity mold. They are 9mm 124gr TC in very hard Linotype. Once I got the hang of it I was very pleased with the results. Only problem I think i have is that the bases of he bullet where the sprue plate cuts off is rough on many of them. I am considering a quick run of the bullets over a file so the bottom is perfectly flat and they have no wobble sitting on a table. Has anyone done this before? Think its needed? My other thought is as soon as the charge goes off the base of he bullet would be reformed regardless of the small nub from the sprue plate.
CastBullets002.jpg

CastBullets003.jpg

CastBullets005.jpg

You should allow the mold to cool a little more and smack the the plate with a slight downward angle. Your plate may also be a little loose.

check you'r spure cutter is it loose. slid spure plate so it is not on the mold and see if you can move it up or down. If it's loose tighten up screw.

I cast with 2 or 3 moulds at a time.This allows me to continue casting and there's always 1 or 2 moulds cooling while I'm casting with the other. This helps prevent torn or smeared bases,that result from opening the mould too soon.

Back
Top Bottom