• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quick Casting Question

Broc

NES Member
I have a coffee can with roughly 100 535g bullets that were lubed with SPG, and at one point I dropped, the box opened and they rolled around in some dirt. I tried cleaning them but now they are a sticky mess, so I threw them in a coffee can thinking one day I would melt them and re-cast.

My question is ... do you think the lube could cause issues mixing with the lead and cause me to cast sh*t bullets?

100 rounds won't break the bank, so I dont mind not re-casting them.

I will be mixing them with clean lead, ready to cast.

Need opinions.

@pastera
@Michael J. Spangler

Last edited:
I have a coffee can with roughly 100 535g bullets that were lubed with SPG, and at one point I dropped, the box opened and they rolled around in some dirt. I tried cleaning them but now they are a sticky mess, so I threw them in a coffee can thinking one day I would melt them and re-cast.

My question is ... do you think the lube could cause issues mixing with the lead and cause me to cast sh*t bullets?

Need opinions.

@pastera
@Michael J. Spangler
Lube will melt. It will reduce any oxides back into the melt. I use lubed rejects for that regularly.

I wouldnt risk debris contaminated bullets potentially gouging a barrel. Just melt em down and recast. Wax in molten lead actually attracts contaminents purifying your lead. Skim the crusty caked wax off the surface and you are gtg. I also use wood saw dust.

Need opinions.

@pastera
@Michael J. Spangler
Pre fluxed scrap, melt away.

Need opinions.

@pastera
@Michael J. Spangler
If your worried about any dirt,?
Boil them and either relube them or melt them
Or treat it like any other scrap lead. Melt , flux and carry on.

I know you already melted the last batch but if it happens again, you can throw them in a pot with water and boil the lube off. If you decide to do this, keep 2 things in mind. If you use a pot that your wife cooks with, you're gonna be in a world of shit and make sure the water doesn't boil off or the bullets will melt.

I know you already melted the last batch but if it happens again, you can throw them in a pot with water and boil the lube off. If you decide to do this, keep 2 things in mind. If you use a pot that your wife cooks with, you're gonna be in a world of shit and make sure the water doesn't boil off or the bullets will melt.
Also another tid bit, my “friend” did this.
Dont decide to sit down while you have “home made” lube melting down on the stove top and then nod off. Smells something aweful

Also another tid bit, my “friend” did this.
Dont decide to sit down while you have “home made” lube melting down on the stove top and then nod off. Smells something aweful
I used to melt SPG in a tuna can on the stove when my hot plate broke.

Now I bought a luber and I am never going back.

Back
Top Bottom