Cast aluminum vs iron press.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on the two.

I have been looking for a single stage press and the aluminum ones are cheaper in price. I am leaning towards a used cast iron one, RCBS RC or RS3, LEE Classic Cast. Mainly because of availability in the used market. But for the same prices of those used, I could get a new cast aluminum.

Get a used RCBS RC. Great press. For new I like the Lee Classic Cast. The only thing I dont like about the Lee is the cheap rolled handle. I replaced the handle on my Classic cast with a spare Dillon 650 handle I had kicking around. The newer RCBS presses are cast in China.

The RC doesn't handle spent primers all that well. I've had one for years and I wish I got a press that sent the spent primers into a trash can or jar under the press for easy disposal.

Unless you are going to be doing rifle case forming or sizing big monster cases, I'm not sure it really matters if it's aluminum or iron.

B

I would love to have a Rock Chucker or a Classic Cast, but I haven't broken either of my aluminum presses yet.

I have a Lee Reloader (C frame aluminum) and a Lee Challenger (Al O-frame, older one without the quick change or primer tube). The Reloader I got in 1989, the Challenger in 2000. I have no idea how many thousands of operations the Reloader has done, with no stretching or cracking. It's currently living with a decapping die in it, and has no problems with crimped .mil primers. This is the weaker of the 2 presses.

I once figured I'd use these until they died on me, and then upgrade to an RC. At this point, I'm thinking they'll outlive me. If I lost these 2 presses, I'd buy them again instead of upgrading.

Not that they'll replace my 550B, of course.

How much are you planning on spending? You should be able to get a new Lee classic cast at a reasonable price.

I just picked up a Rock Chucker today in like new condition for almost nothing! I had almost pulled the trigger on a new Lee Classic cast. I am glad I waited. This thing is built like a tank!.

Back
Top Bottom