case stuck

wiskie762

Instructor
I guess today was not the day to try and make some rounds.

I was getting ready to make some .308 rounds checked everything lubed the cases.I deprime with a decapping die so I removed the pin in my lee full lenth sizing die. got 1 stuck case no problem little elbow grease an out she comes. not 2 minuites later i get another case stuck ok fine.

Now this case I decide to use my Hornady stuck case remover. Drill the primer hole out tap it and then use the little shellplate screw to remove case.
I Broke my stuck case remover. The shellplate screw that screws into the case broke in the case. so now I have a die with a stuck case and the remover stuck in it.

anybody have any suggestions on what to do now.

The few cases I've stuck, I've always stood the die upside down and put a little penetrating oil between the case and the body of the die. I let it set for a half hour. I like Kroil for a penetrating oil.

If you can find someone with a lathe, they can cut the head off the case a use a boring bar to get the rest out. You can also send the die back to the maker and they will typically get them removed, but that takes time. Most of them charge $10~$15.

What case lube were you using?

B

I have tryed that and now my pin is bent and wont move. I guess I either have to send this too lee or buy a new one

i ended up switching my lube and ordering new pins from Lee because i took a hammer and wailed the pin and the case out. Lee shipped new pins in no time and there pretty cheap so i ordered a bunch to have on hand.

I've actually had good luck turning the die upside down (after removing the decapping pin), drilling the primer pocket out with a 1/4" drill bit, and using a plain old broken screw extractor to turn the shell and break it loose.

I guess today was not the day to try and make some rounds.

I was getting ready to make some .308 rounds checked everything lubed the cases.I deprime with a decapping die so I removed the pin in my lee full lenth sizing die. got 1 stuck case no problem little elbow grease an out she comes. not 2 minuites later i get another case stuck ok fine.

Now this case I decide to use my Hornady stuck case remover. Drill the primer hole out tap it and then use the little shellplate screw to remove case.
I Broke my stuck case remover. The shellplate screw that screws into the case broke in the case. so now I have a die with a stuck case and the remover stuck in it.

anybody have any suggestions on what to do now.

Glad its removed.........by the way, were you using "Hornady One Stuck....I mean One Shot?[smile]

for my lube i was using stuff i got when i ordered a lee press im going to be switching to something better.

What type of lube is it?

From years of experience, nothing beats an alcohol/lanolin lube, for performance and price.

Experience will also tell you when there is enough on the cases.

When you size the cases in the future, you'll need to have the decapping pin installed in the die. It does more than just decap, it expands the neck ID to the proper diameter on the way out.

I've actually had good luck turning the die upside down (after removing the decapping pin), drilling the primer pocket out with a 1/4" drill bit, and using a plain old broken screw extractor to turn the shell and break it loose.

A 1/4 by 20 long bolt (about 3") with washer used with a matching drill bit and die is actually a stuck case remover kit.

Drill and tap the primer hole. Use a socket that mates the diameter of the die but allows the case to enter the socket. Then thread the bolt through the washer then through the socket into the case head. If you lube the case in the die well you should be able to slowly extract the case by tightening down the bolt through the socket, sucking the case into the socket. The key is to lube and go slow.

lube

you did not lube enuf or you failed to put it on the right places.nobody mentions LYman case lube I use it and never had a stuck case.and I have lee and use it when doing one or two.

Back
Top Bottom