• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying in Maine....

I have a question regarding ME's open carry laws. Does this only apply to residents or non as well.

I can't seem too find where in the law it distinguishes that fact.

I took a trip up too Kittery today, and plan on heading back soon and would like to know for my return visit, because IMO there is nothing that makes me more worried than having a gun locked up in a vehicle as opposed to having it on me......stupid laws....

Anyway, I suppose I should just get a non res permit, but until I get around too it, does anyone know what the case is with open carry..

Thanks

Based upon my knowledge ... ME does not consider a MA or NH LTC as valid for carrying in ME.

Based upon :
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

MAINE--A nonresident concealed carry permit may be obtained from the Chief of State Police. Maine requires a carry permit to transport a handgun in a vehicle. It is illegal to carry a rifle or shotgun in a vehicle or trailer with a cartridge or shell in the chamber, magazine, clip or cylinder.

I suggest that you go ahead and get the ME permit. It's not hard to get, though you do need proof of a safety course.

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/maine

How do I apply for a Permit/License?
Date updated: Wednesday, August 18, 2004

You must be 18 to apply for a concealed firearms permit.
Request an application from appropriate issuing authority.

Non Residents: Must apply to the Chief of the Maine State Police.

Dept of Public Safety
Maine State Police
Licensing Division
164 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333-0164
Phone: (207) 624-7210

Note: Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days.

History for this field

Documents required
Date updated: Monday, July 26, 2004

Title 25: Part 5: Chpt. 252: §2003

Copies of concealed firearms permits issued by other states.
Copy of your DD214 form if you were a member of US armed forces.
Copy of your birth certificate or INS document.
Two color passport photos 2x2.
Proof of knowledge of handgun safety. Accepted proof would be training by government law enforcement agency or private firearms assoc. recognized by Maine or state were instruction completed.
*proof can be waived if you hold valid state permit since 4/15/90 or was/is in any Armed Forces of US and has received at least basic firearms training.

C-pher said:
Can you just send a copy of your MA LTC and that qualify. Being that you have to take the safety course for MA?

Not all of us had to take a course for MA! Only those newly licensed since Oct 1998 or those with asshats for chiefs that require it on every renewal.

Can you just send a copy of your MA LTC and that qualify. Being that you have to take the safety course for MA?
Nope, you have to send a copy of your course certificate along with your application.

Nope, you have to send a copy of your course certificate along with your application

Not only do you have to send a copy, it has to have been taken within the past 5 years. I sent one that was slightly older and everything got sent back to me unprocessed with a nice note saying that the training has to be more current. Once I got that taken care of they turned it around quite quickly

Bugie

Now here's a question...since I'm a certified MA and NRA instructor for safety courses, would they accept my Instructors certificate? Hmmm...I should call and ask.

Lynne said:
Now here's a question...since I'm a certified MA and NRA instructor for safety courses, would they accept my Instructors certificate? Hmmm...I should call and ask.

They accepted mine the last time I renewed. Of course if they don't you can always issue your self a new certificate. That would also give you an excuse for walking around mumbling to yourself like I tend to do. [roll]

Ken

KMaurer said:
Lynne said:

They accepted mine the last time I renewed. Of course if they don't you can always issue your self a new certificate. That would also give you an excuse for walking around mumbling to yourself like I tend to do. [roll]

Ken

[lol] [lol] [lol] Hey....wait a sec...I do that too....nevermind.

Back
Top Bottom