Carried for the first time today...

Title just about sums it up....
I carried my M&P9 Full size OWB in a Don Hume open-top belt holster.
No problems keeping concealed when out and about with my jacket. I was very self-conscious though.

I do want to eventually move to an IWB holster. I just have to pick which one to try first.

Steve

Way to go. Nobody saw it, nobody even suspected it. Just don't fidget with it and you'll blend right in.

edit to add - what salesman said.

Congrats.

Just remember

1) Don't fidget/check using your hands or elbow. Easy way to spot a newbie. If you have a good holster, it will NOT fall out. Try rolling around on the ground at home with an UNLOADED gun in the holster. It won't come out unless you're upside down and shaken.

2) Once you holster the gun, don't touch it unless you intend on drawing and pulling the trigger. It does not come out unless it's out to bark!

3) If you need to adjust, find yourself a bathroom stall and always handle the gun in the holster as one. Go slow. Use two hands with the open top holster when not secured by the belt.

Confidence comes with time. I'd say in about two weeks, you won't even notice it there as you'll get used to it.

And lastly did you do the WallyWorld test?

What is this? Do people tend to have roaming eyes there? I've been in a Wal-Mart maybe twice...heh.

Congrats and the self-consciousness of carrying will pass with time. After that comes the insecurities of the draw from holster and shot 'in time'...that you'll need to practice in front of the mirror or whatever to overcome...good luck and hopefully you'll just keep it in your pants![smile]

I was super paranoid when I first started carrying. Went away after a few weeks, and then after a month I was hardly ever even aware that I was carrying. It became just another tool in my possession, like my pocket knife, instead of a 'loaded weapon on my hip'.

I was standing in line at 7-11 in front of a cop on like the second day I was carrying, and that went a long way towards getting me to relax. Once it was over, I realized I'm the only one in the world who knows I'm carrying.

I was nervous the first day or two I carried. You will get over that soon. I think the first place I went was to the super market to pickup some food. I did not go to Wal-Mart to buy ammo and nachos like some people do. I don't think you should go places for the purpose of carrying there. Just do your normal routine and eventually you will forget about it. Now the only time I get that "Oh My GOD!!" feeling is when I leave my carry gun at home. You just feel naked and vulnerable.

Good luck and congratulations.

Congrats!!!

my problem has always been tugging my shirt down whenever I bend over to grab something. I still cant kick the habit even though I am pretty sure the shirt doesn't bunch up.

Try rolling around on the ground at home with an UNLOADED gun in the holster. It won't come out unless you're upside down and shaken.

I went ass over teakettle while getting a little too enthusiastic about a song ending (playing guitar on beach sand on a cheap plastic chair) with my xd45 in an open top IWB, and it didn't go anywhere. Saved the guitar too lol, I ended up upside down holding the guitar up over me.

Wal-Mart or Home Depot seem to be two of the more popular "First Time" carry locations.
I always thought it also had to do with them giving people flak over carrying in their stores. When they were pressed on it, they had to buckle, I assume because of their desire to cater to sportsmen, and said they would respect the local laws with their policies. So, carrying there is a way to rub it in their faces lol.

Your post inspired me to start carrying. I just went to the convenience store with my 1911 (C1) to pick up some milk. Short 5 minute drive. [smile]

Wow, that's awesome. Lets see if we can start a trend and get more people carrying....

Steve

Title just about sums it up....
I carried my M&P9 Full size OWB in a Don Hume open-top belt holster.
No problems keeping concealed when out and about with my jacket. I was very self-conscious though.

I do want to eventually move to an IWB holster. I just have to pick which one to try first.

Steve

Congrats. I swear by Crossbreed holsters.

Wow, that's awesome. Lets see if we can start a trend and get more people carrying....

Steve

Alright I'm in, I'm going out now carrying for the first time, got my LTC a couple of weeks ago. I was carrying in my house and got paranoid that my neighbors were looking through the windows watching me![wink] I think my dog was checking me out too...

It takes a little while for it to go away.

My biggest concern is bending over. Even though with a properly adjusted holster at 3-4 o'clock doesn't stick out when you bend over. My biggest thing is that my shirt will come up over it and I will never know. It starts to go away though. I still check myself in the mirror before I go out. A lot of that has to do with the fact I have been trying out different holsters just to see how I like them.

Back
Top Bottom