Car Locking Container Recommendations

Delkancott

NES Member
After reading a bunch of threads relating to automobile storage and transportation, it's my understanding that storing my CCW handgun in a parked car while I go into a post office is okay so far as the gun is unloaded and locked in a container(which should be locked to the vehicle and out of site).

My question is what kind of container do you all recommend? Should I just use a lockable toolbox that I can cable to the car? A small safe? A console vault?

Thank you and if the above info is incorrect, please correct me.

After reading a bunch of threads relating to automobile storage and transportation, it's my understanding that storing my CCW handgun in a parked car while I go into a post office is okay so far as the gun is unloaded and locked in a container(which should be locked to the vehicle and out of site).

My question is what kind of container do you all recommend? Should I just use a lockable toolbox that I can cable to the car? A small safe? A console vault?

Thank you and if the above info is incorrect, please correct me.

I think your statements lack clarity to determine if you are right or wrong.

I do not believe you can have your firearm on post office property at all independent of being locked, unlocked, loaded or unloaded. The only lawful circumstances you can have your gun on PO property is unloaded and packed for shipping assuming you are there to ship it in one of the limited legal fashions.

If you are talking off PO property, then you could be stating a legal action, being unloaded in a locked container.

I am assuming MA. Outside of MA I have no comment and you are mostly less restricted. There is a perspective that if your car is parked then storage and not transport laws are in effect. I am not recommending this perspective or calling it prudent, but it is a perspective. This says that you do not have to unload. This says you can place in a locked container (toolbox, safe, etc) or even use a trigger lock and satisfy storage (as opposed to transport). You are safer abiding by transport which means unloaded and locked up. Again, OFF PO property.

In MA I use a single gun gunvault with a cable lock around the seat frame slid under the seat for situations where I choose to disarm and store my firearm in the car.

In TX I tend not to worry all that much about it.

Last edited:
Sorry, off post office property. Our post offices are part of larger plazas with shared parking areas.

Side question, do the rules change if the post office doesn't own their building?

Side question, do the rules change if the post office doesn't own their building?

There are all sorts of grey areas that are undefined. You are asking as if whatever answer you get on this online forum will get you out of trouble if you are discovered.

If you want to risk being the test case, that is your option. Some people carry in the PO regardless of the fact that it is prohibited. They will likely never be caught. They are also doing nothing morally wrong.

If you are worried, lock it up off Fed property and be done with it.

Parking lot of PO is likely a no go.

From this thread: https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/156452-Where-can-t-I-carry-in-MA

No requirement to be unloaded, just locked. I like console vault.

The issue of loaded vs. unloaded is a gray area. You don't want to be the test case.

Sorry, off post office property. Our post offices are part of larger plazas with shared parking areas.

USPO doesn't own any property!

GAO either buys or leases the property for the USPO (info is from my Postmaster). It matters not if owned or leased, if it is used as a federal building it is illegal to possess a gun there.

The issue of loaded vs. unloaded is a gray area. You don't want to be the test case.

USPO doesn't own any property!

GAO either buys or leases the property for the USPO (info is from my Postmaster). It matters not if owned or leased, if it is used as a federal building it is illegal to possess a gun there.

The local PO in my town is in a shopping center. There is the PO, Bank of America, Liquor Store, Whole Foods, Marshalls, Subway, Bagel Shop etc. So are you saying that because the PO is in the same building and shares a parking lot the whole place is essentially off limits?

If yes, it seems extreme but wouldn't surprise me the way they write laws.

The local PO in my town is in a shopping center. There is the PO, Bank of America, Liquor Store, Whole Foods, Marshalls, Subway, Bagel Shop etc. So are you saying that because the PO is in the same building and shares a parking lot the whole place is essentially off limits?

If yes, it seems extreme but wouldn't surprise me the way they write laws.

I never said that! When I lived in Groton CT, I had the same situation. USPO was at the end of a strip mall with a Benny's, a bar (the only place you could find the postmaster, and I'm not kidding) and a bunch of other stores.

A common parking lot can not be USPO property, only a dedicated parking lot would be (probably) off limits. Other stores even if connected to the USPO with a common wall would not be off limits.

I never said that! When I lived in Groton CT, I had the same situation. USPO was at the end of a strip mall with a Benny's, a bar (the only place you could find the postmaster, and I'm not kidding) and a bunch of other stores.

A common parking lot can not be USPO property, only a dedicated parking lot would be (probably) off limits. Other stores even if connected to the USPO with a common wall would not be off limits.

Thanks for the clarification.

I have one of these in each car
nano-nv300-gun_nl-ok.png

I grabbed one of these, don't get much use out of it but had figured I should have "something" in the random event I need to lock something up in the car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FATWGSU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

It should always be in use. Where do you stash a couple copies of your 03 FFL for those unplanned purchases? It is also a great place to leave a couple $20 bills in case you run out of the house w/o your wallet. There are a few other things that I leave in mine also...

Yep. You can get a lot of these and keep them in random places. I have removed all of the locks and replaced them with some that are all keyed the same. You may be able to order them all keyed alike somewhere, but I have purchased them off and on at random places. I have them installed around the house, in the cars and keep one separate so I can attach it in my luggage when I travel.

It should always be in use. Where do you stash a couple copies of your 03 FFL for those unplanned purchases? It is also a great place to leave a couple $20 bills in case you run out of the house w/o your wallet. There are a few other things that I leave in mine also...

Well I don't have a 03 FFL and if I don't have my wallet I can't drive my car (would be missing my drivers license) ..... but point taken.

Staying on-topic, I use one of these when locking my edc if I'm headed to a gfz such as a school.
http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/pro...6.4413993.4414427.4414433&categoryId=11484400

I use this one in my trunk too, once in awhile, for certain items.

I did find that is best to tape the batteries (4 x AA) in their holder, as they have twice worked free from perfect seating and I could not open (had to get and use the key). Other than that, just another good lockbox.

What is a CCW handgun?

How is it different from a normal handgun?

It doesn't need to be unloaded. Just locked in either a container or a the trunk. If you have a trunk, no case is necessary.

Actually since we are talking about storage requirments a trigger lock is legal. Though not recommended since it would require unloading the gun. The best solution is something that will allow you to remove the gun WITH THE HOLSTER and stow it.

Or just carry it in. Nobody will know.

If you dont have a trunnk, then these are cheap protection.

http://smile.amazon.com/SnapSafe-Lo...UTF8&qid=1456506563&sr=8-14&keywords=gunvault

If you use my link above, Comm2A even gets a cut of the action.

Generally, if I'm going to be in and out of the car into places where I can't carry, I pocket carry. It makes things much more simple.

Don
81xd48A8h1L._SL1500_.jpg

What is a CCW handgun?

How is it different from a normal handgun?

It doesn't need to be unloaded. Just locked in either a container or a the trunk. If you have a trunk, no case is necessary.

Actually since we are talking about storage requirments a trigger lock is legal. Though not recommended since it would require unloading the gun. The best solution is something that will allow you to remove the gun WITH THE HOLSTER and stow it.

Or just carry it in. Nobody will know.

If you dont have a trunnk, then these are cheap protection.

http://smile.amazon.com/SnapSafe-Lo...UTF8&qid=1456506563&sr=8-14&keywords=gunvault

If you use my link above, Comm2A even gets a cut of the action.

Generally, if I'm going to be in and out of the car into places where I can't carry, I pocket carry. It makes things much more simple.

Don
81xd48A8h1L._SL1500_.jpg

Glock vs ak pistol ?

I love the Tuffy locking console in my 40. Its easy to transport whatever I want in it. Unfortunately I only have one key.

Now that I mention it, check out what Tuffy has to offer. Although it may not fit your specific vehicle, they have all kinds of solutions for under seat, wheel wells, rear storage, etc. Try Googling "Tuffy Security" and check out Google's Images section

Back
Top Bottom