• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Car 54, where are you???

Arioch said:
Just a special officer with some additional duties in a small MA town.

Oh, don't be shy! Most of the towns in MA are "small". :) Does "Special". mean parttime, aux, reserve, or what?

Inquiring minds want to know!

RJ

OK, no time for long diatribe but here's the executive summary:

- 18 years as a Special/Reserve PO for a small town. "Retired" from that when current chief disarmed us, took away our powers of arrest and asked us to work patrol with the FT POs (something I used to do as much as possible when we were armed and had police powers).

- Currently a Constable (for 6+ years) and working at that full time. We have police powers but most chiefs/departments dispute it so we are the bastard children of law enforcement. In truth, it's almost impossible to become a Constable unless you have a ton of political clout, so most have no LE background, no training and some operate in somewhat unprofessional manner.

Arioch said:
Reserve officer. And thank you for the welcome.
Glad to have you. Are your Reserves volunteer only?

LenS said:
OK, no time for long diatribe but here's the executive summary:
- 18 years as a Special/Reserve PO for a small town. "Retired" from that when current chief disarmed us, took away our powers of arrest and asked us to work patrol with the FT POs (something I used to do as much as possible when we were armed and had police powers).

Watertown had a Reserve unit, of which a friend was the OIC, and disarmed them as well, but expected them to perform the duties - UNARMED! I wrote a letter to the Chief, expressing my concerns - which is why I wasn't issued my LTC/ALP. Oh well, I hadn't been in MA long and thought I was still in the US where you had the freedom to complain. [rolleyes]

LenS said:
- Currently a Constable (for 6+ years) and working at that full time. We have police powers but most chiefs/departments dispute it so we are the bastard children of law enforcement. In truth, it's almost impossible to become a Constable unless you have a ton of political clout, so most have no LE background, no training and some operate in somewhat unprofessional manner.

And I did the Constable thing for a term - proabably to relive those thrilling days of yesteryear - [thinking] - but found the job waaay to negative. Figured I had had enough of that in my life and didn't renew.

We'll have to chat next time we're at the same bar, Len. [smile]

RJ

Jaxon,

Agreed about talking the next time we see each other. Possibly Westford?

Yes, serving papers and making arrests is negative, but I don't let it get to me. Some I feel sorry for and all I can offer is advice that they consult an attorney about it. Others like the crack whore who I tried to serve papers advising her that FL was removing all her parental rights (for allegedly allowing the father of the child to sexually molest the <6 year old girl), I have no sympathy for (luckily she had violated parole and was cooling her heels in a county jail by the time I went to serve the papers . . . I really didn't want to meet her!). Likewise I have no problem arresting deadbeat dads and hauling their ass in front of the judge! Like the gentleman I served divorce papers to on Thursday said "someone had to do it" (his response when I apologized for bringing him bad news).

LenS said:
Jaxon,

Agreed about talking the next time we see each other. Possibly Westford?

Westford?

LenS said:
Yes, serving papers and making arrests is negative, but I don't let it get to me. <SNIP>.

Yeah, I'm hip, but around here is H20ville, my services weren't as extreme as those. That may have made it a bit more interesting. Unfortunately, around here, I dealt with divorces and evictions, and the occasional law suit. Oh well[thinking]

RJ

Hey guys, F/T Officer on the Cape, just joined the site. Been on the Cape for about 3 yrs and I'm originally from western/central Ma

LenS said:
Jaxon,

Check the NES Members forum for details on Westford. I'll send you an Email with a pointer to the thread.

Yeah, I remembered after I asked. The wife and I will be in San Francisco, for the first day of our cruise to Alaska, which departs at 1700. :)

I hope to make the next event!

RJ

WPDC13 said:
Hey guys, F/T Officer on the Cape, just joined the site. Been on the Cape for about 3 yrs and I'm originally from western/central Ma

Welcome! [smile] How is cop life on the Cape? This your first gig, or change of setting?

RJ

change of setting. i worked in my hometown and then worked a couple towns over for a few years, but wanted to try the cape out for a while, so I came down. This will actually be my 6th year on the job.

WPDC13 said:
change of setting. i worked in my hometown and then worked a couple towns over for a few years, but wanted to try the cape out for a while, so I came down. This will actually be my 6th year on the job.

All righty then. I hear cop-life down there can be interesting when the tourists start their migration. [laugh]

RJ

I'm not a LEO, but given the title of this thread, I can't resist...

There's a holdup in the Bronx, Brooklyn's broken out in fights,
There's a traffic jam in Harlem that's backed up to Jackson Heights.
There's a scout troop short a child, Khruschev's due at Idlewild...

CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU!
Used to watch that when I was a kid.

And a few friends claim that they played the part for real on Randolph Aux PD back many years ago. Both are now retired in FL.

LEOs

My town pays for detail work (we don't get much) but we aren't used for patrol duties.

What's going on in Westford? I'm in Waltham for now.

Back
Top Bottom