Can't we DO SOMETHING ???

I'm really sick and tired of having to jump through hoops to find out if the nifty new, or old <insert firearm model here>, it's magazines, telescoping stock, FS, etc. is legal to own here in MA. Was it made before this ban or that ban? Does it have this or that combination of features? Was it LEO owned? Can I do a private transfer or do I need an FFL? I think I'm aware of the procedures but I've had it. We all seem to be in lock step with the MA system that I'm sure we all agree is pathetic and draconian, not to mention borderline unconstitutional. I know you will all say "write your legislator", but what I want to know is: Is there anything more significant we can do to change what we do not like?

Chris

I doubt much can be done about the laws already on the books, all we can do is prevent more asinine laws from being added. Don't forget this is Assachusetts. [lol]

GOAL should erect a sign at the borders that read "You are now entering Massachusetts, leave your rights at the border"

ChristosX,

Nothing like a good rant to make a guy feel better!! [lol]

Where's the "primal scream" emoticon when you need it?

Oh yeah, write your legislator.

Matt

Truthfully, the following "can" have some positive effect:

- Invite your legislator to join you shooting . . . in a low key environment, no media, just an opportunity to learn what guns are about, how to shoot, that "evil guns" are no more deadly in the proper hands than anything else that can be used for good or bad.

- Talk with your legislator one-on-one about the "gotchas" in MGLs, how effects normal folks (no rants), what you'd like to see instead, etc.

- Write and call them often, be polite but be firm about what you want and expect. Work for them when they fit your viewpoints and tell them that if they don't fit your viewpoints that you won't be able to support them.

- Join GOAL and keep on top of what is happening legislatively.

- Take a vacation day and attend the hearings when GOAL requests bodies present.

- Understand that the testimony given at hearings is nothing but "show", they pay no attention to it when it comes to voting on the matters. What really counts is what goes on in the "back rooms" out of sight of the media, the public, etc. So, if you are talking to your legislator privately, you can do more good than actual public testimony.

How's that for a start?

I think the best complement I ever got from my legislator was when I heard a knock on my door and opened it to see my state rep standing there and her reaction was:

"Oh, Hi"

"Hi Pat"

"I know I've met you before - Aren't you the gun instructor?"

She got it in one. We had a nice quick chat, but I think she knew her vote was secure with me. One of a few Democrats that I actually like. We've also had conversations that have had nothing to do with guns. Probably the most common non-gun topic is that of how much more it costs just to live dispite the fact that salaries are not keeping pace.

Chris, I'll echo what Len said. It may not feel like a lot, but it's more than if you did nothing, and, in a lot of instances, it does have an effect.

And, know you're not alone in your frustration. [wink]

(have I mentioned lately how much I hate this state???)

Back
Top Bottom